CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #21
Jo Se

Profile:  
Re: How to get from Obese to Healthy

I am a little beside myself... I changed my eating plan on Tuesday and the results are amazing. See Tuesday for the actual food eaten. So I wandered a little, not too much, but it drastically affected my weight. Currently I am 2.75 off my goal. I think I will make it up this week with my new eating plan. On Monday I weighed in at 350 lbs. since I started eating meats again I put weight back on. But I am also strength training so I am not sure how much muscle and or water weight I put on. By Tuesday I had lost 1 lb from Monday. I changed my eating on Tuesday on Wednesday I weighed in 2.6 lbs lighter! I kept it up on Wednesday (the new eating) and on Thursday morning I weighed in 2.4 lighter. I also measured myself and I have now lost a total of 9.75 inches from my body

So today’s weight is 344 lbs which is the lowest I have been in a year. I have a total loss of 16 lbs and 9.75 inches since Monday April 13, 2008 (just over 3 weeks).

BREAKFAST: Yesterday was a great day. I woke up a little late and couldn’t make my eggs. So I ate a can of tuna fish with a tsp of vegenaise. (Made my breathe stink during my workout, but oh well…

SNACK: then on the way to the park with my kids I ate a banana and a 16 oz container of low fat cottage cheese.

LUNCH: Zaxby’s blackened BLUE Zalad (salad) with the Mediterranean salad dressing (I only used of the packet) I also ate 1 piece of the Texas toast.

SNACK: 4 slices of Kiwi and something else I am pretty sure but I cannot remember.

DINNER: I started cooking some chicken with garlic powder, Herbamare and I got inspired to be creative. I threw in some capers, lemon juice, old bay seasoning, fresh ground pepper, and then I got naughty and put in a cup of milk, 2 shakes of parmesan cheese and about an ounce of cheddar cheese and let it simmer and stir frequently. It was a delicious little dish that I just kept throwing stuff into… I also made 2 bunches of asparagus boiled with some garlic and Herbamare. I pigged out on it.

SNACK: around 8pm we were starving again, (my wife and I) and we decided to go to an Italian restaurant with some friends. I did not want to go there because the salads are not that great there. But we decided to get a meatball, cheese, mushroom & black olive calzone to split. So I ate of that calzone for dinner. And I thought I would have really thrown off my diet. But I was still 2.4 lbs lighter on Thursday!

My Wednesday DAY 2 totals:
2968.56 calories
My percentage of calories from each group and actual intake:
40% protein 311.43 grams
35% fat 113.08 grams
25% carbs 184.96

Day 1 of new eating plan:
1831 calories
60% protein 285 grams
25% fats 49 grams
15% carbs 58 grams

Last edited by Jo Se; 05-08-2008 at 08:26 AM..
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #22
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Wow! Congratulations!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #23
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Jowee,

Congratulations on your progress. Don't get too caught up in the daily weigh-in and fluctuations. I weigh less than half what you do and my weight fluctuates +/- 2-3 lbs. Hydration, BM or not, full stomach or not, all will impact your daily weight.

As others have said, really try to limit the carbs. This will really help with your hunger pangs. Try to get the majority of your carbs from vegetables (not potatoes or corn though), preferably green and leafy. Replace carbs with fat.

Research the Nutrition Board on this page and the following blogs to get you started (and keep you busy for the next few months): Robb Wolf's blog (http://www.*************), Michael Eades' blog (www.proteinpower.com), Scott Kustes' blog (www.modernforager.com/blog/), Mark Sisson's blog (www.marksdailyapple.com/) and Mike ODonnell's blog (http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog). All links WFS. The common thread to all of these? Restrict your carbs to vegetables and some to little fruit, eat adequate protein and fat. Eat paleo.

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson; 05-08-2008 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Corrected hyperlinks
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #24
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Scott;
Solid post, great advice.
Eat real food, lift heavy stuff, rest, repeat.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #25
Jo Se

Profile:  

how much rest do you think one needs? I am doing SS right now, and i am going to start working in some WOD. some people say i need the rest, others say go for it. I just want to have increased strength, increased fatloss and trying to eliminate anymore stalls. What is the best way to accomplish this? do my squats, bench press, and dead lift on monday and friday and squats, shoulder press and clean on wednesday and alernate each week. and then try to do some WOD on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday? or just one day or what? I alwasy feel like i could be doing more even though i am about maxing out every SS workout.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Rest is vital. It is when your body repairs all the damage you're doing to it with the workouts - without it, all your work is just...damage. Be sure you're getting eight hours of solid sleep a night, and don't go harder than 3 days on, 1 off with your workouts (indeed, if you're just getting started you might be better off with 2/1).

Also, if weightloss is your primary goal, I'm not sure SS is your most efficient route there. Most people GAIN weight on SS, don't they? HIIT and Metcon WOD's will, I believe, burn the most fat. I don't want to tell you how to train, though, so do what works for you.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #27
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

Jowee,
Congrats on making the decision to change your life. From some one who went from 280 to 195lbs in a little over a year and from a size 40 waist to 32. The simple formula is
Zone freindly foods + crossfit and It will happen.

You need rest. Every few weeks I will only wod 2 days and some where its 5 or six. You build Muscle during rest.

Ohh yeah The damned scale. hide it for a month. I weigh in once every two months or so, I go by the way my clothes fit and what the mirror said. From January last year till now my weight log looked like this
lbs : Waist
1. 280 : 40
2. 265 : 38
3. 235 : 36
4. 215 : 36
5. 205 : 34
6. 200 : 34
7. 195 : 32

So as you can see once every two months or so. But again all I did was zone and CF. thats it. (I dont even weigh all my foods, I guesstimate and still saw incredible results)

Welcome again and keep at it.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #28
Nick Maisonet

Profile:

Happy to see that you have started on the road to a heathier and happier life.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, The Zone Diet by Dr. Sears. 3 months ago my best friend recomended the book "Enter The Zone" and my life has been better ever since. There is too many great benifits too it aside from weight loss to explain. I really feel that this diet goes hand and hand with CrossFit. I have lost 30lbs in 3 months while in the Zone and doing CrossFit. You will feel better, more energetic, fitter, and you won't have to starve yourself. I truly believe this to be an athlete's diet. In a nutshell, it helps you find your body's daily protien needs and then balance them with good carbs and good fats. It's all in the book, the plan, foods, recipies. Best of luck on whatever path you take.