CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #961
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Well... we just got back from a boat trip with the wife. Celebrating her 50th birthday present from last year. We travelled 2500km in the fjords on the coat of Norway over 6 days. Totally amazing trip.

So this is 2 days pre-knee surgery and we need to get in a couple of days before Monday.

Plan - running at the track

Warm up
A good 20min running warm up
Some of the time spent on technique with the wife and how her feet actually meet the track.

light stretching inbetween an 800m jog

Morning at the track
So we ran 400m intervals and the baseline was the first 400m. Rest 3min after each round.
From that, we we had to run what we thought would be as close to the baseline based on feel. So the feeling we had on the first round, breathing and stress should be equal.
What we did find, which i already knew, was that the feeling will be the same the but the time will get faster as things got easier and we become more used to running. You can say that we more of less got into the flow.

Wife - 400m
Round 1 - 2:27 = 6:08/km = 9.8km/hr = baseline
Round 2 - 2:22 = 5:55/km
Round 3 - 2:28 = 5:45/km
Round 4 - 2:15 = 5:38/km
Round 5 - 2:14 = 5:35/km

Final round - for time
Round 6 - 2:01 = 5:03/km = 11.9km/hr

Wife got faster and faster over her rounds and noticed that when she concentrated on her running technique she felt so much faster and lighter.
On her final 400 i was routing for her and i really thought she was going to break the 2min barrier.

Myself - 400m
Round 1 - 1:49 = 4:33/km = 13.2km/hr = baseline
Round 2 - 1:39 = 4:08/km
Round 3 - 1:34 = 3:55/km
Round 4 - 1:36 = 4:00/km
Round 5 - 1:38 = 4:05/km

Final round - for time
Round 6 - 1:27 = 3:38/km = 16.5km/hr

I pushed from the first round and had a feeling the rounds would be close. Dropped a couple of seconds on 4+5 but that was not a problem as i was still pleased with how i felt.
The final 400 i knew i would break 1.30 the question was by how much. Very pleased with that and not bad for weighing in at 101kgs/222lb

Cool down
a what we thought was a very slow 400m jog which was 2:30 just to clean the system a little.
Stretch from 10min or so...
Old 04-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #962
Alex Burden

Profile:

Sunday morning and my last workout before surgery tomorrow.

Plan - partner - sync - garden/back yard workout.

Warm up
Basically a 10 min light stretch

Sync
3 rounds for time

250m run
10 sit ups
250m run
10 push ups
250m run
10 air squats
250m run
10 burpees

Time: 28.52

The run was basically from our garden, down and back up the street. 125m downhill and 125m back up the hill. With it all being in sync it took a little longer. round 1 was 10.02, round 2 was completed at 20.09 and finally 28.52.

It was good, no stress

Cool down
stretch and sweat for 15min

and that was that.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:17 AM   #963
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and a post surgery update on my meniscus tear.

I am feeling

As the surgeon explained you never know what the damage is until to actually get in there and take a look.

So i had a flap tear but the flap had actually flipped outside, so all he had to do was pull the flap back in place and clipped off a small damaged edge. The most important thing was it required no internal stitches as this affects the big picture. So this means a really quick recovery of a couple of days instead of 6 weeks plus rehab.

So the plan is to rest until Monday to let the slight swelling to go down and for the 2 holes to heal a little before exposing them to stress and sweat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meniscus_large.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	14047  
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #964
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and we are back in the gym . Wife is feeling a lot better and reslly looking forward to today.

Plan - get the shoulders and back going after our time off.

Warm up
nice and easy 4min on the skierg
shoulder mobility and back stretch

all in all including chatting to people 25min.

Shoulders - using light weighted plates
a couple of sets on each movement to get the feeling before hitting the sets and then get into it.

4x20 reps - External rotation - rotator cuff
Wife used - 0.5, 1 and 1.5kg plates
Myself - 1, 1.5, 2.5kg plates

4x12 reps - bent over rear delt flys
Wife - 1,5 and 2.5kg plates
Myself - 5kg plates

4x12 reps - lateral shoulder flys
Wife - 1,5 and 2.5kg plates
Myself - 5kg plates

4x8 reps - DB sitting shoulder press
Wife - 7kg DB's
Myself - 12, 14, 16 and 20kg DB's

The shoulders felt really good after this and the pump was nice. No aches or pains from any of the movements. Good quality reps and muscle control.

Back
A couple of sets of Db bicep curls to warm up a little and then

10x3 reps - Strict pull ups - Pro & Suprinated - 2 second pause at bottom of each rep
Wife used a band for assisted.

Nice and controlled the whole time with no issues after the 60 reps.

5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 reps - unbroken Sit-ups 30 seconds rest between sets.

Cool down
stretch for 20min and chat.

And that was that nice first workout for a while. I kept my knee out of the picture and i will the whole week, to let the cuts heal from surgery.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 05-06-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #965
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and i was feeling better than ever, my best nights sleep in weeks and no knee problem. Wife was tired, so tired this morning.. walking around half dead for 20min or so . Both a little sore in places after yesterdays workout.

Plan - get the rest of the body going..

Warm up
5min on a motion bike:

I basically used this for the rotation movement of my leg/knee, i had zero resistance and basically just nice and easy got my knee going and was also able to tell if i had any pain or not. Felt great no issues what so ever.

Wife did her own thing on the bike and got a few km's out of it.

some light stretching

all in all 15min.

Plan

AAB = 10 rounds - 30 sec on/ 25 sec off
Wife - both arms and legs
Myself - only arms (rested feet on pedals only)

Both hit around 3kms and my arms were on fire after this.

Glute activation
6 x 10 reps Lateral Band Walks
6 x 10 reps Standing Glute Kickbacks

The reason for doing this is not becasue i want a better, firm looking butt... i already have that , it was for the wife as her hip flexor problem is also due to her not firing her glutes correctly in some movements.

Abs/core

6 x 10 reps - stomach vaccums
Using the dips bar, hang in a strong upright position, chest up. Now perform stomach vaccums and hold each one for 2 seconds. This really targets and strengthens those deep abdominal muscles you never hear about.

6 x 10 reps - high knees/strait leg raise to L position
Dips bar as above, same body position. Nice and slow complete 1 high knee and then lift legs to L-Hold for 1 second. Take it nice and easy and try not to swing your hips at all.

10 rounds - 10 seconds on/off - Superman holds
Squeeze everything as hard as possible. This was not a lot of time but we could feel it due to other muscle groups being tired.

Cool down
A good stretch for 20min.

I tested my knee a little to find out if i had any pain in a full sitting squat position, i had no pain or tension anywhere. I am still taking it easy but it is important for me to ensure i have full range of motion. So far this is looking good.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #966
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning and feeling quite good, wife was in a good mood.

Plan - chest in 3 ways

Warm up
a good 20min on upper body mobility using bands and pipes.

Chest in 3 ways

5x8 reps - DB bench press - same weight
Wife 12kgs/26lbs
Myself 30kgs/66lbs

Build up with sets of 8 reps until you reach the weight you want to use for the 5 sets. Once we reached that it was U go I go. Wife did well and nicely controlled. I took the heaviest DBs in our part of the gym and they were perfect as the final 2 reps on the final round were tough.

1 set max push-ups
Wife - 8 reps
myself - 15 reps

Complete set strait after final DB set.

Partner - share load for distance
24 min Skierg
24 min row

Wife started on Ski and i took the rower, alternated every 6min

Result:
Skierg - 4328m (227cal)
Row - 5013m (291cal)

I had no idea how things would go on this and if my knee would blow up. This was pure techinque, no yanking on the rower, i kept the stokes long and smooth 22 rate average 2:06/500m. On the skierg i followed the same thing, smooth the whole way 2.20/500m. No idea what speed the wife kept but she said she was pleased with how it went.

So that was chest in 3 ways. Work the pecs and tire those out first and then try and breath on the ski and rower.

Cool down
5 min walk off to flush the system a little
stretch for 20min
Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 AM   #967
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning and we are both feeling great... the wife was so so so tired this morning and walked round in a daze for 25min.

Plan - upper body again. Still not a lot of legs due to knee.

Warm up
A good shoulder warm up with bands, bar and pipes good 20min i would say

Plan
5 rounds
5 strict hang power cleans 25/40kgs (55/88lbs)
2 Strict HSPU (wife) Wall walks

No rush on this. the strict H-power cleans are done under control with no bouncing at the bottom, smooth movement and at the top ensure the bar is in the correct front rack position and ensure the elbows are high.

5 min EMOM
Wife: 25kgs
5 strict front shoulder press 25kgs

Myself: 40kgs
4 strict shoulder press behind neck
4 strict front shoulder press

These were great today and were a little harder as the shoulders were already half tired. Wife went unbroken and i broke the final round into 4+4s

10 rounds each
5 T2 Rings

Today was the first time the wife completed all of them in unbroken sets and no high knees at all. She has learned to relax more at the bottom of her kip and they looked really good, less stress on her shoulders.

10 lengths of Gym 20m
1 arm OH - KB Farmers walk
Wife 16kgs (35lbs)
Myself 24kgs (53lbs)

Make sure the OH position is solid, arm strait and close to side of head. They felt good today.

Cool down
A good stretch for 15min

Have an appointment at the physiotherapist regarding my knee post surgery. That should be fun.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #968
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning and no wife today, she has to attend a seminar. This means i get to do what ever i want

Plan - very light legs - rehab and what ever comes into my head at that time.

Warm up
1500m on the rower

This was all technique at 20 strokes/min 120 drag factor. Focus on range of movement without causing any issues with my knee. Log pulls, smooth all the way, drive with heels from pull. This took me 7 minutes. This felt great.

very light stretch for 5min

light legs
I need to start to test my knee but not irritate it but also test it without pain.

6 x 10 reps - Air squats from box 24"

So to start to test my legs again squat from sitting position and change foot position slightly after every repition. This ensured i had to start over on each rep and could not rush the rep. New foot position also meant i had to find and drive from the heels again. Felt great. The box keeps me above parallel keeping the stress off the knee.

6 x 8 reps - Squat pistol from box 24"

From sitting position nice and controlled pistol driving from heel and nice and controlled on the way back down. No pain or anything in the knee either... fantastic.

6 x 6 reps - Bird feeders aka single leg deadlift

I did these just for stability to get those small muslcles firing again. No issues here either.

6 x 8 reps - Strait leg deadlift 20kg barbell only

This is for pure mobility and get the hammies firing.

This came into my head

Ring Muscle Up technique
15 reps - support position - Low Dip Hang - shoulder roll - lower body

So i set the rings up so that i could grip them while standing on the floor, right at the limit for them being just to high.
Jump and land in the support position, lower into low dip hang, shoulder roll out and try to hold on and lower myself.
I found the final lowering quite hard as this is all biceps, after 7 or 8 reps and had better control but not perfect.. 100kg is a lot to hold on.

8 x 2 reps - Strict ring dips

These went really well and i felt solid in the support position and could control the dips without any swinging. Very pleased with that.

Cool down
A good stretch and mobilty for 20 min or so. More focus on legs during this.

Update on my knee injury
Met with the physiotherapist yesterday. It was quite funny actually right from the start, she called me from her room 10m or so away from where i was sitting and she watched me walk towards her. She looked at me in a funny way and asked me "have you had the knee surgery?" and i replied "yes". She did not expect me to be walking normally at all.

We talked and i explained how the injury was not as bad as what we thought and that it was a simple fix to get it back in place. I also explained that i followed here instructions for rehab (sheet of paper she game me) more or less from the same evening after the operation. On top of that i did my own progression and added a few things to it that i felt would help with the firing of the muscles around the knee and the glutes.

She was shocked to how far i have come and the mobility i have without pain.. so i went through everything i did the past 10 days and boy did she take notes . I'm not stupid and would never take any risks but i also know and understand how the body works but most important how very small changes will help the progression. I took the time to show her the extra things i did and adjustments to her program and then i asked her "who should be charging who here" and laughed.

She really knows her stuff and i can't take that away from her but she liked what i have done and that there was no risk either, the only limiting factor was pain, swollen joint, mobility.

So after 40min we decided that i don't need her help, but i need to keep my head cool and not stress anything. Take the time to let the scars heal and progress slowly over the coming 4 weeks. So thats what i'm going to do.

In the attachment you can see my knee looks quite good, just tape instead of stitches, the swelling has more or less gone now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knee.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	14048  

Last edited by Alex Burden : 05-10-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:32 AM   #969
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and feeling really good. No wife again today as she has a company meeting on the other side of Sweden, so she had to take an early flight this morning... was she pleased about that.... NO!!!!! as usual i took the chance to rub it in yesterday and remind her how much fun i was going to have today.

Plan - legs 100% full control

Warm up
1.5km on the rower

No bouncing at the bottom before the pull, 22 stroke rate. Smooth all the way.
It took 6.50 (88 calories) without any stress what so ever, felt really good.

Legs
Had to hit the other part of the gym for the first part. Couple of warm up sets on both movements before starting.

5 x 10 reps - Leg Extentions
5 x 10 reps - Leg Curls

Start at the lowest weight on the machine first and then increase weight by feel. Took both movements to 36kgs. Each rep was 2 seconds up/2 seconds down.

6 x 10 reps - Squat to bench

Taking this nice and easy nice and slow, started with the barbell only and took it to 30 and then 40kgs. This was all about the control, just above parallel.

5 x 10 reps - Wall balls

These were slow all the way through. I started the set with a little movement at the hips and on each reps i would go deeper and deeper, the last 2-3 reps were just below paralell. They all looked as if they were in slow mo, no bouncing at the bottom and driving with my heels.

No pain at all at any time today.

10 min Skierg
2154m/123 calories

5 min AAB - 30 on/30 off
1863m/38 calories

On the AAB i had 85% arms and 15% legs

Cool down
15 leg stretch/mobility

Nice start to the week.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:08 AM   #970
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and the wife is back , boy has she missed working out. Both tired as she got in late from her flight last night.

Plan - Back, grip and biceps

Warm up
1,5km row this took 6.35 for me nice and easy and 7.30 for the wife.

pipe work and some mobility
20min i would say in total

Plan
A couple of sets warm up first

6 x 8 reps - Back extensions (Hyperextensions)

@ same time

3 x 10 reps - DB bicep curls 6-10kg
3 x 10 reps - DB hammer curls 6-10kg

Basically the bicep curls where used to warm up the arms and prepare them for the next part of the workout. This was also something i thought about to try and help the wife.

Couplet of unbroken 1,1, 2,2, 3,3, 4,4, 5,5, 6,6, 7,7...... until failure or when we decided we have had enough.

Pull ups - (wife assisted, myself kipping)
Hang power cleans - 20/40kg barbell (44/88lbs)

Wife completed - all round up to 11 reps = Total 132 reps
Myself completed - all round up to 11 reps = Total 132 reps

We decided that 11 was the magic number today and i think i would have struggled to complete the round of 12 pull ups. We alternated after each completed round so that we had some rest. Towards the end it became more and more grippy but we were both pleased with how things went. Warming up the biceps really helped the wife because she did not complain about her forearm giving her problems due to the strain of the pull ups. This was very positive and something i think we will use in the future to help her.

Cool down
clean up and stretch/mobility for 20min

No a lot of volume today but this was taking into account the fact that the wife has had 4 days off.