CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Harry Mitchell

Profile:
Globo gym competition prep

Greetings all. My current situation has forced me to move house, away from my box where I was training 5-6 days per week. I am now nowhere near a box but there is a globo gym only a short walk away of which I am now a memeber of. My aim is to physically prepare myself to begin crossfit training again when I am able, with the intention of building up a base to return to crossfit training stronger and better at strict BW movements.

I would call myself an intermediate to advanced lifter in terms of years of experience but I have only been properly crossfitting for a year. I am 22 years old, 6'2, 90kg BW and my lifts are as follows: back squat 145kg, dead lift 175kg, front squat 125kg, press 65kg, clean 108kg.

I understand the limitations I face with the equipment found in a conventional gym but my plan is to focus on slow lift strength, basic bodyweight movements and perhaps some form of interval training on the C2 to build up my work capacity. I am unable to do any form of met con or olympic lifting due to lack of space and I don't want to be 'that guy' using up all the equipment at once and kicking people in the face doing butterfly pullups.

My question is would anyone care to share a rough template or program design which I could follow to achieve my aims? I am not too hot on programming but my plan at the moment is to do the Crossfit strength bias program, adding in a bench day, changing the days around a bit, working on bodyweight movements after the main lift and then rowing intervals afterwards.

My gym has a squat rack, benches, dumbbells, pull up bar, dipping bar and kettlebells along with some poorly maintained rowers.

Thank you for your time
Old 12-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Re: Globo gym competition prep

i've had to train out of a globo most of the time as well, its frustrating.

what i found works is short metcons that focus on gymnastics/mono -or- gymnastics/weightlifting.

mono/weightlifting is pretty much not possible in the globo environment.

i also find limiting the number of movements helps. so fran is reasonable, filthy fifty isn't.

i do lots of stuff like 150 thrusters for time. or cleans + burpee over the bar.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Yes it is frustrating. As if the equipment shortage wasn't enough you then have the attrocious etiquette to deal with.

There is a sort of functional training area we have where the PTs play around with battle ropes and TRX, but I definitely couldn't do anything wih barbells there because of the floor and small space. I'd be blocking off a cable station there too. I'd thought about trying to program bodyweight and kettlebell metcons but this still limits me quite a bit. I don't think I'd even be safe doing double unders since I'd probably end up whipping somebody.

I am thankful for the squat rack and decent ish barbells though. At least I can do all the basic lifts however some genius put the squat rack underneath a built out part of the ceiling which means I can't overhead press without denting the thing because of my height.

Thanks for your response but I think I'll have to bite the bullet and lose my metcon. I could use the extra strength anyway and I'm sure that I'll get back to where I was fairly quickly when I can go to a box again.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Brett Valego

Profile:

take the time to get strong. make double bodyweight back squat a priority. you're not advanced or 'world class' until you're around triple bodyweight so get at it. you're a globo so get strong! good luck
Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I bought an ab-mat, #20 wall ball and rings to take to Gold's with me.

I use the common body weight movements from CrossFit as accessory work to my main lifts.

Design simple couplets for met-cons most of the time. Use treadmill on hill course as well. Unfortunately I don't have access to rowers.

Up don't need a squat rack to press unless your such a beast you can't clean what you want to press. Just need a barbell and someplace where the ceiling is high enough.

With smart programming you can achieve a descent level of metabolic conditioning, while not waring out your welcome at a globo gym.

You can also get very strong with main barbell lifts plus dumbbells & machines for accessory work.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm just going to do a very basic strength program mixing in different sets and reps to keep everything varied and to make sure I'm not just gaining maximal strength. I'm keeping it simple with the bodyweight stuff too. Just pull ups and dips/press ups a few times per week mainly to grease the groove. I'll also make use of the dumbbells and ketllebells. I'll get my met con back when I can get back to a box. Thanks again
Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 AM   #7
Rajat Khattri

Profile:

hi, I'm from India and i don't have a box in my city as well. One thing which might help is trying to plan your visit to the gym when it is least populated. If you are a morning goer than try to be that guy who is the first to show up at the gym.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat Khattri View Post
hi, I'm from India and i don't have a box in my city as well. One thing which might help is trying to plan your visit to the gym when it is least populated. If you are a morning goer than try to be that guy who is the first to show up at the gym.
I second this idea. I used to work out in a globo on a college campus and went in the late morning and early afternoon. I usually did not have a problem with doing my workouts. Weekends also tend to be less busy, so if possible schedule your rest days for the week and WOD on the weekends. If you do both of those steps, you should be able to get away with doing more in your WODs, and hogging an area for an extended period of time.

Also, metcons with dumbbells are great workouts. You can sub most CF mainpage wods that involve barbells with dumbbells.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Well as it happens today I did a little metcon I concocted and one of the members of staff starting talking to me about crossfit and he said I can do whatever I want but to just not drop the barbells. I've changed my programming now to accomodate metcons. I'm also actually applying for work there so maybe I'll get to 'suggest' some crossfit equipment. Things are looking up
Old 01-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #10
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Mitchell View Post
Well as it happens today I did a little metcon I concocted and one of the members of staff starting talking to me about crossfit and he said I can do whatever I want but to just not drop the barbells. I've changed my programming now to accomodate metcons. I'm also actually applying for work there so maybe I'll get to 'suggest' some crossfit equipment. Things are looking up
You may even be able to offer to purchase the gear and "lease" it to the gym.