CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Will Hurst

Profile:
Zinc Coating on Rogue Bar

I'm hoping someone with Rogue will chime in. Our entire box is outfitted with Rogue Equipment. Every bar, and we have a couple dozen, is Rogue except to two bearing bars on our platforms. I am noticing something interesting about the Zinc coating on Rogue bars.

It appears the older the Rogue bar is the better the Zinc coating has held up, for mens bars we have:
- 4 original Rogue bars that we bought second hand, they're probably 4 years old
-10 Ohio Bars w/ Black zinc handles we bought when we opened 7 months ago
-2 Rogue 2.0 bars, just recently bought last month

The area I am referring to is the actual handle, most noticeable would be the center of the bar where it makes contact on a clean or back squat. The 2.0's actually look the most worn, there is actually two 4 inch (think traps) wide rings worn completely away. The Ohio bars are not as bad, and the original Rogue bars looks the best. Same with our ladies bars, the original bella's we have look better then the bella 2.0's we recently bought. It doesn't make sense that the bars with the least mileage have the most wear. This would only indicate that the zinc coating process has come down in quality.

The bars function great, so it's not a huge concern, only cosmetic. I've take apart and cleaned all these bars and the quality appears to have only gotten better as far as the machining and build. I do take pride in the appearance of my affiliate and I like shiny things so that the only bummer. Anybody else experiencing this issue with the black zinc coating on Rogue bars?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Daniel OBrien

Profile:
Re: Zinc Coating on Rogue Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hurst View Post
It doesn't make sense that the bars with the least mileage have the most wear. This would only indicate that the zinc coating process has come down in quality.

Anybody else experiencing this issue with the black zinc coating on Rogue bars?
Rogue doesn't have a plater in-house, so they send out for plating. It's possible that they switched companies for that service.

I have a 1+ year old Chan Bar with black zinc. The only place I'm really getting wear is the sleeves from the on and off with the weights...and it's not bad at all. No issues with the bar shaft coating, but then again, as a single lifter, I'm not nearly putting it through enough reps like an affiliate would.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Will Hurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post
Rogue doesn't have a plater in-house, so they send out for plating. It's possible that they switched companies for that service.

I have a 1+ year old Chan Bar with black zinc. The only place I'm really getting wear is the sleeves from the on and off with the weights...and it's not bad at all. No issues with the bar shaft coating, but then again, as a single lifter, I'm not nearly putting it through enough reps like an affiliate would.
I also wonder if maybe the switch in steel has anything to do with it. I know the Ohio Bar and 2.0 bar have the new 190k steel.

I want to make sure anyone that reads this knows what Im referring to is strictly a cosmetic issue and that we are thrilled with the performance and build of the rest of the bars components. I do believe Rogue has only improved quality of its bars over time and price has not risen much make for an incredible value.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

I have the same problem on my Rogue Ohio Bar 1.1 that I bought around 2013 Black Friday.

You can see it in the picture I've attached. Its right where you say yours is fading. Where it would be on the shoulders for squattting or cleaning. That being said, the bar performs fine, and I am the only one using it.

I also have a Rogue 2.0 bar and have noticed the diameter feels smaller compared to my Ohio Bar even though they were listed at the same diameter. May just be a feeling though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wpid-wp-1414767679200.jpeg
Views:	678
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	13617  
Old 11-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Will Hurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Mitchell View Post
I have the same problem on my Rogue Ohio Bar 1.1 that I bought around 2013 Black Friday.

You can see it in the picture I've attached. Its right where you say yours is fading. Where it would be on the shoulders for squattting or cleaning. That being said, the bar performs fine, and I am the only one using it.

I also have a Rogue 2.0 bar and have noticed the diameter feels smaller compared to my Ohio Bar even though they were listed at the same diameter. May just be a feeling though.
That's exactly where ours are wearing. I haven't noticed a difference in the diameter between the 2.0 or Ohio bar, but the knurling is slightly more aggressive on the 2.0 even though they're also supposed to be the same. All in all, they work great. I know their production has to be under constant pressure, may just be time for Rogue to do a QC check up to eliminate these minute inconsistencies.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Steven Thunander

Profile:

My Ohio bar (1.2) is in good shape coating wise (just a few dings and scratches). CrossFit 920's (my box) Ohio Bars (the original model-about one year old) and Rogue 2.0 Bar have heavy wear (its only four months old). However, they put 10-15x the volume of work on those bars than I do on my bar. The original Rogue bars they have also have almost no coating on them.

Brew City CrossFit has the original Rogue bars and these have absolutely NO coating left. These bars range from 2-4 years old.

It should be noted that all Rogue Bars are double coated, with a thin black zinc outer layer and a stronger bright zinc undercoat.

Zinc is a weak coating. This is to be expected as the bar ages, and can happen over a few months if sufficiently heavy volume is put onto the bar. If coating is going to be an issue with you, go with Satin Hard Chrome. Its more expensive, but the coat will last much longer.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:

Will:

We have used the same plater for a very long time. We have brought all our manufacturing in house and changed steel but I don't think that would cause an issue.

I will check with the plater to see if they have had any issues but the all zinc plating will wear.

Bright/Clear Zinc - Appearance Silver - Will wear dark gray/off color and eventually down to the steel. This is the base coat for black zinc and olive drab zinc, all bars hit this tank

Black Zinc - Appearance Black - Will wear silver over time due to base coat being the Bright/Clear zinc. Takes longer to hit bare steel and corrosion due to process.

------

Generally you will see wear along the knurl points of any bar first. Following that will be your primary contact points.

Knurl - We run the Rogue Bar 2.0 thru a slightly different knurling process than our Ohio bars. Both have a very uniform feel but the Rogue bar 2.0 has a bit more variance. The pattern/depth is near identical.

With the Ohio bar we run the same knurl wheels and specs on knurl as the 1st day we ran the bar, the bar master has not changed.

------

Cooper - They are the same steel shaft, no difference other than the process.

-----

Steven - Zinc is a good plating process, both zinc and chrome have their pros/cons. We have chrome bars from many manufacturers that show rust very soon so no bar is rust proof, much of what is you will see is how you care for the bar. Zinc is also a very safe product to plate steel with.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Thanks

Bill
Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Bill, thanks for the reply. I always appreciate seeing the owner of a company defending their product.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Will Hurst

Profile:

Thanks Bill, I think it's great you take the time to respond directly to these posts. Love the bars, wish there was a better coating process that held up available. I guess it gives them some character right?

Out of curiosity is there another type of coating used on bars similar to anodizing? At the other box I used to own before I opened this affiliate we had these cheap Chinese made bars, nothing really held up on them except for they had Red shafts. Even after a steady year of service in large affiliate the red was still like new, it was more translucent though, looked like when you anodize aluminum.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
Steven Thunander

Profile:

I will admit that none of the bars I discussed showed any rust on them, and they performed great, thus the bright zinc undercoat was doing its job.