CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Steve Loeding

Profile:
using Paychex

First, if you have trainers do you
1. have them coach x # of classes in exchange for a membership
2. Pay them for their time
3. both

and if you use paychex or other business to pay your employees, do you have an employee manual - ie, interview questions, quailifications, exit interview, expectations etc - stuff that a "large" business would use
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: using Paychex

1. I have 1 full time trainer/membership services person. She is on salary. I pay her based on her income needs so I can keep her. I made a mistake of having 2 people at 25 hours a week or so and both were going broke. Now I have 1 who earns enough to make a living.

I have 4 part time trainers. The answer is both. All have full time jobs doing something else. They get free membership plus $10.00 an hour, discounted memberships for their significant others. They automatically get paid for 1.25 hours per class they teach because they are expected to be available to members before and after the class they teach.

Looking this over it is probably time for some raises. In the future I would like to both pay them more and not charge their significant other. When I brought them on board it was a double hit. I lost 4 paying members and I had 4 more people on payroll.

I require 3 classes a week. They usually work 5. They are allowed time off when ever they want so long as everyone doesn't try to take the same time off. This week those who are staying in town are covering for those who are going home for the holidays.

I don't worry about them being short hours due to Holidays, travel or work schedules. None are trying to slide by doing the minimum. All enjoy and are motivated to be good coaches.

2. I use Quick Books payroll services. I bought the software and enter everything myself. This gives me good control over the process, lets me plan cash flow (important because we are growing and don't have a lot of extra cash) and make changes easily. We use direct deposit. Just have to make sure you enter payroll info on time and transmit it to Intuit. Missed this one time when I was unaware of deadline. Very embarrassing.

3. Writing a basic employee manual is high on my to do list for the New Year. The primary reason is to get the expectations out of my head and down on paper in black and white so everyone knows is expected. It will be fairly simple.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
3. both

and if you use paychex or other business to pay your employees, do you have an employee manual - ie, interview questions, quailifications, exit interview, expectations etc - stuff that a "large" business would use
I pay all of our trainers per class. They also get a free membership for them and spouse.

I started with ADP(same thing as Paychex); and hated it. Mainly because its expensive, and they take all your money for taxes when they run payroll, not when they are due.
I have recently switched to my accountant to run our payroll.

I don't have any manual, but each trainer signs a contractors agreement with what's expected of them.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Adam Morden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
3. both

1) I have interns (ie members who have no experience coaching but want to join our staff) do 2 classes/week in exchange for membership. After they have experience and get certified they will have the option to become staff as long as their intern period went well.

2) all staff get paid for all classes plus a free membership.

We don't use a company like paychex - our accountant handles payroll.

We do have a staff manual, an operations manual for each task at the gym, plus a contract that outlines expectations and objectives, pay, and employment terms.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Steve I don't run a box but do use Paychex for two businesses--my law firm and a bike shop where I am a co-owner. I run payroll for both, once a week for the bike shop and once every other week for my law firm. Paychex has the benefit of being extremely convenient and efficient. They do everything for you. With my law firm it is simple as a response e-mail saying "standard payroll"--that is it. I typically send it from my phone. With the bike shop, I've got to type names and hours after an employee sends me time sheets for the week--but it is still pretty quick (probably 5 minutes).

Another benefit of Paychex (or any similar payroll company) is that they will file tax forms you would otherwise have to file. Those obligations can be tricky--you've got to calendar when to file, understand what to file and when, fill them out, etc. It would be a pain in the *** for me and I don't have the time.

My verdict would be that Paychex is less expensive than an accountant, but more expensive than doing it yourself, is incredibly convenient and efficient if you want to spend your time elsewhere (marketing, running classes, and so on), and helps ensure you meet legal obligations and not run afoul of complex state and federal tax reporting and withholding requirements.

FYI: On the issue of what to pay coaches, my wife and I are Level 1's and coach at our box. Our only compensation is a waiver of membership dues plus we get all products we want to buy at cost. We haven't asked for, and don't want, payment for coaching above that--we could do so but it would require a greater commitment from us. Right now we work 4-6 classes a week each on average when we are in town but we have no obligations and simply are scheduled on a week by week basis based upon our availability. If we were willing to commit to less time away--meaning having to request vacation time from our box owner--we would be paid above and beyond waiver of membership but we don't want to do that. So in determining pay to your coaches I would look at a host of issues not just their qualifications.
Are they committing to be there to coach every week unless they clear vacation time with you? Are they getting up and running 5:00 a.m. classes several times a week? Or do they instead hang out and coach a couple of classes after their own? I would suggest you consider these things along with their qualifications in determining what is appropriate in terms of pay.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
Steve I don't run a box but do use Paychex for two businesses--my law firm and a bike shop where I am a co-owner. I run payroll for both, once a week for the bike shop and once every other week for my law firm. Paychex has the benefit of being extremely convenient and efficient. They do everything for you. With my law firm it is simple as a response e-mail saying "standard payroll"--that is it. I typically send it from my phone. With the bike shop, I've got to type names and hours after an employee sends me time sheets for the week--but it is still pretty quick (probably 5 minutes).

Another benefit of Paychex (or any similar payroll company) is that they will file tax forms you would otherwise have to file. Those obligations can be tricky--you've got to calendar when to file, understand what to file and when, fill them out, etc. It would be a pain in the *** for me and I don't have the time.

My verdict would be that Paychex is less expensive than an accountant, but more expensive than doing it yourself, is incredibly convenient and efficient if you want to spend your time elsewhere (marketing, running classes, and so on), and helps ensure you meet legal obligations and not run afoul of complex state and federal tax reporting and withholding requirements.

FYI: On the issue of what to pay coaches, my wife and I are Level 1's and coach at our box. Our only compensation is a waiver of membership dues plus we get all products we want to buy at cost. We haven't asked for, and don't want, payment for coaching above that--we could do so but it would require a greater commitment from us. Right now we work 4-6 classes a week each on average when we are in town but we have no obligations and simply are scheduled on a week by week basis based upon our availability. If we were willing to commit to less time away--meaning having to request vacation time from our box owner--we would be paid above and beyond waiver of membership but we don't want to do that. So in determining pay to your coaches I would look at a host of issues not just their qualifications.
Are they committing to be there to coach every week unless they clear vacation time with you? Are they getting up and running 5:00 a.m. classes several times a week? Or do they instead hang out and coach a couple of classes after their own? I would suggest you consider these things along with their qualifications in determining what is appropriate in terms of pay.

My accountant takes care of my quarterly taxes as well. I just make sure there is additional funds in the bank accounts.

I pay less than $5 more/pay period with my accountant versus ADP(virtually the same as Paychex). The money is well worth being able to get the actual person in charge if there is any mistakes in payroll.