CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Eric Shuty
Member Eric Shuty is offline
 
Eric Shuty's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Federal Way  WA
Posts: 511
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Kirk View Post
Thanks guys. Eric, the decrease in muscle activity while wearing a belt was measured by electromyography at the Institute of Fundamental and Clinical Human Movement Sciences at Vrije Universiteit in the Netherlands. The paper I read was from 2006. Has more recent research shown that there was a problem with their methodology or statistics?
Well I could only find an abastract of this study and it already has holes...
First, the weight they used was only 75% of their BODY WEIGHT. For most of the exercises that you generally use a belt for (squat, deadlift, etc) this is not a lot of weight. Thus, they were doing weights that did not even require a belt.

It also said that the participants were "experienced weightlifters." What doers that even mean? Some people who go do curls at their local gym for 10 years and look the same as the did that decade prior consider themselves "experienced." This kind of experiement only works with people who are experts with the use of a belt, such as elite powerlifters national level Olympic lifters, etc.

Unfoturtunately, a lot of exercise related studies that make I see are conducted by "non-exercise people" as I will polite call them. Thus, you get a lot of this stuff (poor exercise choice, poor participant choice, etc) to try and study something. Maybe if I saw the whole study I would change my mind but I doubt it.....

Bottom line, if you are lifting heavy free weights and you don't use a belt you are short-changing yourself. If you want to be "natural" you are not thinking clearly.....as Other Eric said there is nothing natural about barbells and dumbbells....save that for lifting logs and stones.
 
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Matt Thomas
Banned Matt Thomas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 3,648
Re: Weight belts again

I am out of my depth here so this is more of a question than a statement. How do those machines work and what muscles were they measuring? When you say there was less activation in the "abdominal" muscles which are you referring to? Rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis, or other? If you're going to discuss "abdominal" activation during a squat or deadlift when using a belt I think it would matter. I could be wrong.
 
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gohl View Post
I admit that my logic is not quantitative and I do regret how quickly I published it. I will restate though that it is my opinion not a scientific fact.

My ORM BSQ is 405 and my DL 535 unbelted. If I am not interested in making significant gains on those and I can do both with great form and no injury what is the advantage of using a belt?

I am not advocating either way, just saying what I do.
Have you ever worn a belt to squat a heavy weight?
 
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gohl View Post
I admit that my logic is not quantitative and I do regret how quickly I published it. I will restate though that it is my opinion not a scientific fact.

My ORM BSQ is 405 and my DL 535 unbelted. If I am not interested in making significant gains on those and I can do both with great form and no injury what is the advantage of using a belt?

I am not advocating either way, just saying what I do.
Perhaps you won't end up with a herniated navel like me? How's that for a reason?
 
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Kirk View Post
Thanks guys. Eric, the decrease in muscle activity while wearing a belt was measured by electromyography at the Institute of Fundamental and Clinical Human Movement Sciences at Vrije Universiteit in the Netherlands. The paper I read was from 2006. Has more recent research shown that there was a problem with their methodology or statistics?
Agree with the other Eric....I'd like to see all the details of the study.

All I can find in the abstract here (WFS) is that the IAP-generated moment increases when a belt is worn, and that the belt reduces spinal loading.

This study (WFS) found that wearing a belt led to boosted intra-muscular pressure in the spinal erectors, and the EMG showed increased activity in the rectus abdominis.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Weight belts again

Belts and shoes are tools the help you get stronger. That is just the way it is. Your unbelted lifts go up as your belted lifts go up. I am not sure why people insist on arguing against them with pseudo science or draw incorrect assumptions based on a study that suits their position. It is simply easier to look at position stances formulated by folks like the ACSM who have literally sifted through pools of data.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: Weight belts again

Mikko Salo used to lift heavy and often without a belt, and well...wonder why he wasn't at the Games last year?
 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Mikko Salo used to lift heavy and often without a belt, and well...wonder why he wasn't at the Games last year?
because he was recovering from knee surgery.
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
because he was recovering from knee surgery.
I know he had knee surgery but I was under the assumption that he also hurt his back? Maybe I got it mixed up.
 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Weight belts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
I know he had knee surgery but I was under the assumption that he also hurt his back? Maybe I got it mixed up.
wfs-

http://therxreview.com/mikko-salo-an...rossfit-games/
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
 
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
strength training helps my asthma Austin Bray Health and Medical Issues 3 02-24-2011 06:55 PM
Dropping performance…. No energy during workouts. David M Welton Health and Medical Issues 6 09-30-2010 10:15 AM
Wounded vet helps other vets Frank DiMeo Community 0 07-18-2009 03:59 PM
Any info on West Palm/Palm Beach Gardens Affiliates? Brian Dolan In Search of CrossFitters 6 06-10-2009 02:58 AM
Heat, Humidity, and Workouts Ryan Scott Fitness 17 06-29-2007 04:50 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.