CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Pendlay Elite Bumpers and Bar Set

hmmmm, not sure what to say.

I started Crossfit with a set of adjustable dumbbells, a pull up bar, and old jump rope and a set of rings. The DBs and pull up bar I had left from doing P90X twice and the jump rope I had kicking around. Bought the rings for $60 and away I went. Thought better then to spend money on a bunch of stuff I may only use a bit. After a couple months I got a cheap used bar and some metal to learn the basic lifts, then a squat rack, a set of hi temps, then more hi temps, a rower, then some more stuff....but you get the point. As I continued on I continued like Jeff to use some money every month to continue to buy gear. I have some Pendlay Elites as well, they are nice but do the same job as my hi temp plates too !

Buy quality gear, but don't get in over your head. I am lucky to be in a position where I have disposable money to keep adding gear.

I also didn't have an affiliate anywhere near me for the first 3+ years of doing it either.

Good luck, never used the Pendlay bearing bar, but have used the HD bar, it is nice and very comparable to my Rogue bar. Likely I will be looking atnthe bearing bar from Pendaly, DHS or an Elieko training bar at some point.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Brendan Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
hmmmm, not sure what to say.

I started Crossfit with a set of adjustable dumbbells, a pull up bar, and old jump rope and a set of rings. The DBs and pull up bar I had left from doing P90X twice and the jump rope I had kicking around. Bought the rings for $60 and away I went. Thought better then to spend money on a bunch of stuff I may only use a bit. After a couple months I got a cheap used bar and some metal to learn the basic lifts, then a squat rack, a set of hi temps, then more hi temps, a rower, then some more stuff....but you get the point. As I continued on I continued like Jeff to use some money every month to continue to buy gear. I have some Pendlay Elites as well, they are nice but do the same job as my hi temp plates too !

Buy quality gear, but don't get in over your head. I am lucky to be in a position where I have disposable money to keep adding gear.

I also didn't have an affiliate anywhere near me for the first 3+ years of doing it either.

Good luck, never used the Pendlay bearing bar, but have used the HD bar, it is nice and very comparable to my Rogue bar. Likely I will be looking atnthe bearing bar from Pendaly, DHS or an Elieko training bar at some point.

Well, I've used the Pendlay HD bar a lot. My gym right now has it, and I'd say it's definitely a very good bad. Hoping this all works out and I'm able to get it. Thanks, bro!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Brendan Mitchell

Profile:

Hey, everybody, just thought I'd go ahead and give you all a follow up on this. I made the decision and purchased the bar and a 320lbs set of plates for a better deal than the complete set. Pretty stoked on it, and I may do a review once it comes in! Let me know if you'd like that!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Brendan Mitchell

Profile:

Well, I got my bumpers and bar in the mail the other day, and I have to say that I'm more than pleased. Pendlay makes an amazing quality product. Just wanted to know if you guys would like a review with pictures? I may just do it anyways, but... I like your opinions, so let me know!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Of course we do. Post them up!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Kurt Konodi

Profile:

How soft is the knurling?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

I would love to see pics! I'm going through the budget debate right now and I'm interested in these.

Last edited by Adrian Garcia : 05-22-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Brendan Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Garcia View Post
I would love to see pics! I'm going through the budget debate right now and I'm interested in these.
Alright, guys, I'll do an in depth review on my next off day. Between work and the gym, I don't have a ton of free time. The only thing I can say, even if you have to dig yourself a little hole, is that this stuff is worth it. Such good quality. The bar has a lifetime guarantee, and the plates are solid as hell. Stainless steel inserts, and they're not flimsy and fragile at all.