CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ealth_diets_dc
Old 06-24-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
"When unproven science becomes a sales pitch..."

Yeah, totally unproven, except for all that research that, you know, proves it.

"Prince said low-carb diets that advocate piling on the animal protein and fat are 'increasing the risk of developing cancer, heart disease, stroke, type-2 diabetes and other chronic diseases.' "

I would LOVE to see this guy try to prove to me that low-carb diets can cause any of these things, ESPECIALLY Type II diabetes.

"Studies show that a low-carbohydrate approach can cause people to lose weight more quickly than a low-fat diet for the first six months, but the low-fat approach catches up after a year. "

80 percent of people can't stick to a diet for 4 days.

There's been tons of articles calling out low-carbohydrate diets. The problem is, they always back up their arguments with bunk claims. Anything that challenges the norm will take a long time to be accepted - unless the AHA does it, apparently.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
There are people out there who have staked their entire careers and lives on the principle that low fat diets are healthy, and ipso facto high fat diets must be unhealthy. Reforming their beliefs would entail a wholesale reconsideration of their worldview, and admitting that not only have they been wrong, but that they have been passing along bad advice to everyone they talked to with a tone of authority which in hindsight they never had a right to claim.

That, in my opinion, is where these types of articles and claims come from. First you pervert what the insulin control people are actually saying, ignore the Zone completely (this is consistent), and then attack the bogeyman that only exists in your mind.

Language being imprecise by nature, all you have to do is use the same words used by Atkins or whoever, and it obscures what is actually happening.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I agree that many of the claims made against low-carb diets are not based in science, but motivated by years of indoctrination into a low-fat mentality. However, we risk becoming closed off to science ourselves by quickly dismissing any anti-low-carb claims.

I, personally, love low carb diets. I feel best when I get under 100 grams / day. I was interested by this statement, though:

"Eating vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans, which are all predominantly carbohydrate, is linked to a reduced risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and a range of other chronic diseases."

And I'd like to see the studies that establish those links with beans and whole grains (neither of which I eat).
Old 06-24-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
Paul M

Profile:

Well, you have to admit that the ripoff industry based around "low carb" is thriving right now. Its like the "low fat" craze of the 80s and 90s. Just look at C2 Coke: people are buying it because its "low carb" even though its still 18 grams of sugar in a can. Somehow, they don't see "Diet Coke" as being low carb - they only see it as low calorie - and totally miss the point that its got 0 carbs.

I think that most people take no interest in nutrition and so are easily swayed by advertising and end up making poor choices based on misleading information. I would say that your average "low carb" dieter has never read any of the Atkins books (or any of the Zone books,) and is mostly just half-heartedly following something that they hear about from friends or the news. Thinking that drinking C2 is in any way "good for you" is definitely an example of such confused thinking. So are the statements of, "you can eat all the bacon you want as long as you don't eat the potato or broccoli" or that by ordering an extra value meal at McDonald's and eating everything but the bun is somehow "low carb" and will help them lose weight. Its not much different than all the "low fat" snacks that came out 10-15 years ago that replaced all that fat with sugar.

Low carb dieting as it is commonly practiced often is unhealthy.

-Paul
Old 06-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Ahmed Moussa

Profile:  
Im sorry guys, but I have to.
I can halfheartedly agree with this article for several reasons.

After changing my ways of eating for nearly the past two years and finally seeing results, all my friends were somehow prompted after all this time to change their dietary habits. In comes the Atkins camp. Ive witnessed some of the grossest uninformed nutritional practices possible.

Ive seen these guys put pounds of butter on their vegetables because Atkins tells them they can have all the fat they want. Ive seen them pass up on beef jerky as a road snack and fret over finding Atkins Advantage bars on the road. Ive seen them all take up the habit of eating low carb cookies laden with sugar alcohols which have caused myself the most severe "gatsric distess" I have ever experienced.

What I am getting at and what Paul has eluded to is the fact that Americans are uninformed even though they are the most informed people in the world. The way with which people are practicing this diet is ridiculous, there is no notion of healthy fats or proteins. Carbs are the devil and thats that, no tlaking them into any senseful dietary habits. Steak with butter and cheese on the side, but I'll pass on the vegetables because they're "too carby."

The science is there, its just that Americans aren't. Sorry for the rant, I had to.

-Ahmed
Old 06-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

Too bad thinking and eating are mutually exclusive for most people.