CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Just purchased the R-3, some questions

First of all, I bought the shorty version (6" shorter, 84" height instead of 90")

Bought the following with it:

1. Matador dip attachment
2. Monkey Bar Pull-up attachment
3. Strap Safetys
4. 2 sets of single pin plate storage

Now I don't have the ability to bolt it to the floor and I know that it is reccommended, but because I don't own my own house yet I'm unable to do so, at least where I live now. I know there obviously will be stability issues if I wanted to do band work which I don't plan on right now.

A couple questions:

1. I weigh about 230 right now, and plan on hanging weight while doing dips. Has anyone notice any stability issues when using the matador on an R3 unbolted? I plan on facing it inward to make it a bit more stable.

2. If I put the rack against the wall (feet touching the wall) will the plate storage fit on the rear posts? Or does it have to be a bit farther off the wall to work?

3. I plan on putting the Monkey Bar Attachment on the horizontal bars up top upside down (the only way it will fit until I move into a place with higher ceilings). I plan on putting the fat/skinny pullup bar on the rear vertical uprights. How feasible will it be to do pullups on the to bar if there is another bar below it? I want to put the fat bar on top to make it higher off the ground.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Scott Bertrand

Profile:
Re: Just purchased the R-3, some questions

U will have to bolt ur r3 down. If not to the floor then make a platform and bolt it to that. The unit is very unstable when not bolted down. Can't help u on the other questions as I don't have plate storage or pull up bar across the back.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Matt Davies

Profile:

You'll need to set it away from the wall (unless the only plates you use are 2.5"s.) Assuming an average bumper plate has a diameter of 18" you'll need your rack placed a minimum of 10" away from the wall but I would give it a few more inches to make life easy loading and unloading plates.

I don't think it's feasible to do pull ups on a bar with another bar below it. Yeah, it's probably possible for a rep or two but throw in some higher reps and fatigue and you'll be explaining to everyone why you have no skin on the front of your nose.

Could you mount the fat skinny bar flat on the horizontal crossmembers extended out at the back of the rack. you'd need to use the holes in the center of the rectangular steel plate that connects fat/skinny bars. You'd also need to pull the rack a bit further away from the wall to make room for pull ups on the back of the rig but it's nice to have the ability to use both pull up bars. I chopped my fat/skinny pull up bar apart to bolt the two bars onto my R6 individually so that I had access to both.

Alternatively the monkey rig has a straight section for pull ups that is the same diameter as the skinny pull up bar but I find the grip points a bit narrow for straight pull ups on the X43 monkey bar.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Bertrand View Post
U will have to bolt ur r3 down. If not to the floor then make a platform and bolt it to that. The unit is very unstable when not bolted down. Can't help u on the other questions as I don't have plate storage or pull up bar across the back.
It is in a basement right now, and the shorty version will have maybe 2" of clearance from the ceiling so I can't really put it on a platform. Also pressing in my basement as it is, is very close as I sometimes hit the ceiling with the bar if I'm not lined up properly, so I can't really afford any more height on it (not even 3/4"). I guess I'll find some cheap steel plates online to weigh it down, hopefully 2 single weight posts will be enough.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

You can lag it to plywood - 2 layers of plywood screwed together then use wood lags and attach to your wood platform. This is how Louie does it at West Side

Let me know if that helps

Bill
Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
You can lag it to plywood - 2 layers of plywood screwed together then use wood lags and attach to your wood platform. This is how Louie does it at West Side

Let me know if that helps

Bill
Thanks Bill, that would be helpful but the only thing is it eliminates my ability to press if I'm standing on the plywood, being as I have low ceilings. As of right now pressing on the floor as is I barely clear it, I sometimes even hit the ceiling.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:

If you are ok with a lip on the plywood then you can run the platform to the edge of the feet.

Step in get the bar then step back to same surface you have been using.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
If you are ok with a lip on the plywood then you can run the platform to the edge of the feet.

Step in get the bar then step back to same surface you have been using.
Hmmm, I guess thats not a bad idea. That will work for squatting inside the rack, and for press outside the rack. I'll just have to get it out of the rack split style (one foot on the plywood one foot off) and step back.

Other issue I'm going to undoubtedly have though is the rogue flat bench. Even benching inside the rack, won't the back half of the bench be on the plywood and the front half be on the floor?

Also, being as I'll have the monkey bar on top of the rack, can I put the fat/skinny pullup bar near the bottom of the R3 to increase stability being as the R3 doesn't have the stabilizer option like the R4? Or are there no holes near the bottom of the vertical uprights?

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 08-28-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Adam Wathan

Profile:

Here's a possible option but I would probably use at least 2x6's. Definitely not going to be ideal though no matter what.

Edit: Here's the source: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post895472071 WFS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r3bolt.JPG
Views:	1844
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	9696  
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Wathan View Post
Here's a possible option but I would probably use at least 2x6's. Definitely not going to be ideal though no matter what.

Edit: Here's the source: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post895472071 WFS
Thats very cool, I think it will be cutting it close though. My ceiling up to the ceiling tiles is 86". The rack will be 84" high, so it will probably end up touching the ceiling with 2x6's. Thats probably the most feasible though. If they had like 1 3/4"x6 that would probably be optimal. I'll check out Home Depot.