CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Whitney Duhaime

Profile:
New to the Forum... and pretty new to Crossfit

I've been attending a CrossFit affiliate for about six weeks now. I'm starting to get addicted! I've lost a little bit of weight (about 6lbs.) and I'm definitely seeing some changes in my muscle tone. I'd love to lose another 10 lbs. or at least tone up a lot more. I haven't made too many modifications to my diet at this time, but I am looking into Paleo.

The hardest part for me right now is the running. We always warm up with an 800 meter to 1.5 mile run. I'm getting better, but I'm still very slow and have to take walking breaks. I also have to scale almost all of my WOD's. I need the black band for pull-ups, can't do the toe-to-bar, etc. I also can't come close to RX-ing anything at this time. It's a little discouraging, but I know it takes time.

For any of you Crossfitters, did it take you a long time to quit scaling the workouts? Was it a while before you could do the RX? Any other good advice for a new Crossfitter is welcome!

(I'm also doing the Tough Mudder in October, and I'm hoping that Crossfit will help get me into fighting shape for that, too!)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: New to the Forum... and pretty new to Crossfit

Time required to do Rx'd workouts depends on your training background and your genetic potential, as well as how consistent you are with your training, nutrition, mobility, and sleep.

The quality of the program itself is also important. For most people the barrier to Rx'ing stuff is strength, so they benefit greatly from doing a program that has them lifting heavy 3-4x per week in addition to 2-3 short and intense conditioning sessions....stuff like CFFB, GSLP, 5/3/1, or conjugate CF does a great job there.

To that end, I don't see the logic of using a 1.5 mile run for a warmup--the point of a warmup is to get you prepared to train, not to tire you out too much to train.

I just did a Tough Mudder in Vermont last weekend and I wouldn't recommend any specific training for it. You're doing it mainly to have fun with a bunch of friends rather than win it, so as long as you can manage running some hills (may not apply in the case of a TX race), pulling yourself up and over objects, lifting friends, etc. you'll be fine.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Sefton Hirsch

Profile:

Hey Whitney,

Don't worry so much about doing the workouts RX'd. This takes a long time. I've been crossfitting for about 1.5 years and about 75% of my workouts are RX'd, but as Eric mentioned it comes down to strength for some heavy WODs that I can't move. Scale for you, don't worry so much about the RX, you want to work with a weight that is appropriate and keeps you moving rather than staring at it.

Keep working on the pullups you will work through the differnt bands until you don't need them any longer. Same with the toes-bar, these take time to get proficent at. Stay consistent and continue to show up you will see progress with the things you work at.

You might suggest constantly varying the warmup. I know in the box I go to we always have different warm up routines. Sometimes they are specific to the wod but these should be designed to get your blood moving and warm you up. They shouldn't totally gas you, just get the blood moving.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Tavia Redburn

Profile:

I'm really competitive (I know most of us are), and I understand wanting to RX everything. I also struggle with the runs. I have started running on my off days and signed up for a couple of 5ks this summer. I started back up @ CF in October '11 (after a break to have baby #2) and I'm just getting back to doing band-less pull ups in WODs. You'll get there, but it can take some time! Figure out what your major weaknesses are and spend some extra time before or after the WODs working on that.