CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Stacey Johnson

Profile:
On Ramp Class?

Good afternoon! Okay, I'm obviously a nooby, and I keep hearing (reading) about this On Ramp class that everyone "should" get started with. I started about 3 weeks ago, in the ONLY CF gym in this little town in GA. I've done 7 WOD's (each time I was SO extremely sore I could barely walk so I had to take a few days off and then try again). So I'd do three days and then off for 3 or 4, then two days then off another 3 then this last time I went Mon and Tues and by Wed, Thurs and Fri I can't walk! I'm thinking the gym I go to doesn't offer this On Ramp class because I was never told by the instructor anything about it, never even heard of it until i came here to this website. It sounds like something I desperately need since I am VERY new to CF, never even heard of IT until recently, and I'm only just learning the lifts and such. I'm not sure if I should continue with CF in this manner. I absolutely LOVE it, I almost crave it, but I'm just afraid I'm not starting off right. Like the fact that I'm so extremely sore I can barely walk. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm going to be sore, and I even LIKE being sore because I know I'm working my muscles, but THIS sore??
Also, I just had a baby (well 5mths ago) and I'm overweight to say the least. I really really push myself during the workouts, I can't help it, it's like it's physically impossible for me to NOT go all out, so that's another reason I think CF is good for me, but then again like I said I don't want to over do it just starting out, but I'm trying to get my body back in order after having a 10.6lb baby! (By C-section thank God!) I am also trying this Paleo thing which has been difficult. I'm doing alot of research on that also so it's coming along, but dang it's expensive! I just found a place in Macon GA online that will deliver boxes of organic fruits and vegetables to your house so that is GREAT, but again a little on the expensive side. Anyway, I'm rambling.......I guess I don't really have a particular question, but more of just any advice that I can get on getting started, trying to balance doing CF and having to do mandatory PT with the Air Force 3 times a week, and just any general advice that maybe you all wished you would have known when you were just staring out? I greatly appreciate your help!
P.S. I'm 5'3" 195lbs, but I got some muscle under this fat! I was running 3 miles in about 28 minutes ( I know that's not great really) before I got pregnant.......now I SUCK at running again. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: On Ramp Class?

Talk to your coaches about scaling down, but don't scale so much that you're under-working yourself. Cut the workouts down to the point at which you're totally blown out at the end, but able to recover enough for the next day's workout. Make sure you're getting enough good food to fuel your workouts and recovery, and keep in mind that if getting fit was easy everyone would be fit.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If your gym doesn't offer some kind of on ramp or intro classes for beginners I'd highly recommend finding another place to train. Throwing new people, particularly out of shape new people, into group classes without any basic coaching on the fundamental movements is just plain negligent. The fact that they don't appear to be taking steps to mitigate your soreness is another red flag.

I'd discuss these concerns with your coaches and if they aren't interested in teaching you the basics or modifying the workouts for you, that would be strike three against them.

Don't mistake constant soreness for effective training...being sore doesn't necessarily mean you've worked your muscles in a productive manner. Being unable to walk for a few days is a sign you're doing something wrong.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Stacey Johnson

Profile:

Well, I do somewhat scale down. Less weight, less reps, use the band for pullups, etc. She goes over the exercises and lifts with us at the beginning, and I say okay, I think I got it, and then she leaves us (sometimes it's 2 or 3 new people and sometimes it's just me) to do our thing. Then she gets busy with other people and I feel like I'm bugging her. I guess the thing is with the gym, it just seems a bit unorganized. Everybody gets there at different times, and just starts the WOD and if you're new you're kinda thrown in, but shown how to do it real quick, scaled down if need be, and then left to do it. Which is fine, I don't need my hand held, but like I said, I also want to do it correctly. This gym is the only gym in this Godforsaken town that offers CF, so it's either I go here, or try to do it on my own in my garage, and I'm sure that would not be smart to start off with, even tho I probably could because my husband has quite a bit of equipment, pullup bar, free weights, small kettle bells, but no boxes for jumping on and no wall balls etc. lol Anyway, thanks for your advice and I will take all into consideration and keep doing my best. I will get there eventually!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Johnson View Post
Well, I do somewhat scale down. Less weight, less reps, use the band for pullups, etc. She goes over the exercises and lifts with us at the beginning, and I say okay, I think I got it, and then she leaves us (sometimes it's 2 or 3 new people and sometimes it's just me) to do our thing. Then she gets busy with other people and I feel like I'm bugging her. I guess the thing is with the gym, it just seems a bit unorganized. Everybody gets there at different times, and just starts the WOD and if you're new you're kinda thrown in, but shown how to do it real quick, scaled down if need be, and then left to do it. Which is fine, I don't need my hand held, but like I said, I also want to do it correctly. This gym is the only gym in this Godforsaken town that offers CF, so it's either I go here, or try to do it on my own in my garage, and I'm sure that would not be smart to start off with, even tho I probably could because my husband has quite a bit of equipment, pullup bar, free weights, small kettle bells, but no boxes for jumping on and no wall balls etc. lol Anyway, thanks for your advice and I will take all into consideration and keep doing my best. I will get there eventually!
The first part in bold is not the sign of a good coach. Her priorities should be to ensure that you know what you're doing, not just that you say you do, then to watch everyone closely during the workout to make sure form is good and range of motion is correct. That's where on-ramps or small group intro classes come in, so people can learn what they need to learn before starting regular group workouts.

The second part is equally negligent. Proper technique is not something that gets only a cursory review at the beginning of the class--it's something that should be taught correctly from the beginning, before the new member is ever allowed to do a workout.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

Don't feel like your bugging your coach its their job to assure you know what you are doing.

When I went into my first box I had been doing crossfit for about 2 1/2 years. I was in great shape and knew all the movements from what I watched and learned from others over time. The box owner had me prove I knew what I was doing on day one by demonstrating each movement or I was gonna do the on ramp class. I did join the regular class day two, but only because I knew what I was doing.

Last edited by Bryan Rowland : 04-11-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'll take a different view on this. It sounds like they are running an open gym format. You can show up and do your workout any time they are open.

It sounds like the owner could use a little feed back on running a more organized class for the newer people. She doesn't have to change everything. It could be as simple as Mon., Wed., Fri. at 6:00 PM she offers a structured class with more direct supper vision for any who wants it. During the hour she doesn't allow others to start their WODs so she can give her full attention.

This would do a lot of good things. Help new people learn under undistracted supper vision. It would encourage new folks to workout every other day which is a generally good approach. It lets her get direct feedback from the new people on how they are doing with issues like soreness. It lets her know who feels comfortable to proceed and who wants more guidance.

I started as a solo coach. Learning how to coach and run the business to do the best job is a learned art.

Some of the things you have said lead me to believe the owner wants to do a good job but may not quite have her system worked out yet.

If you don't say anything she will never know.

I don't run an "On Ramp" class but I do have 4 Intro workouts I use to learn peoples fitness and mobility levels. I run my gym in a manner that my more experienced members are fairly self sufficient. I teach them how to do workouts, not just follow the leader. This allows me to focus most of my time on the newest people.

A good "On Ramp" class can be helpful but it is no magic solution. Far too many people come out of an On Ramp class and think they know what they are doing when they don't.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Stacey Johnson

Profile:

Brendan, that is a VERY good idea. I think I will talk to her about starting a class, just don't want to offend her or anyone for that matter. Thanks!!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If a coach gets offended at the suggestion that she actually coach you then she's not worth the money you're paying her.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

Hi Stacey,
I'm going to second what Brendan said. Most of us who train folks are very interested in our clients opinions, well being and happiness at our gyms. We can't change what we don't know is wrong though. Some people aren't satisfied with their workouts unless they're so sore they can't move the next day, while most are the exact opposite.

Tell your trainer you're digging Crossfit, but the soreness is affecting you so much you're not sure if you can continue. Tell your trainer you feel like you need a little more time to get the moves down properly. Heck, tell your trainer if you don't like the music that's being played! Bottom line, there will be 1% of trainers who feel like you're being high maintenance, but the other 99% will really appreciate the feedback!