CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: Charles Poliquin likes CrossFit

Are you saying main page is not random?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Russell Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Are you saying main page is not random?
It's not random. It may seem random to you, but there is a method to it. The fact that the programming does not follow your personal preferences does not mean it's random.

CrossFit Director of Training Dave Castro addresses the difference between random and constantly varied programming here: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/...rogramming.tpl.

Link is Work/Family safe.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
Nowhere did CrossFit advocate an “At any cost” mentality. In fact, our Seminars emphasize developing mechanics FIRST every weekend.
Quote:
It’s clear that Poliquin doesn’t understand CrossFit’s goals or methods. CrossFit’s ultimate goal is not “optimal technique” or to “activate high-threshold motor units”
CrossFitters train explosive movement while both fresh and fatigued, and with every possible load and rep scheme.
To me, these points seem to contradict each other.

I understand what you are saying but I would've thought if CrossFit was to concentrate on perfect technique etc and then add in the "explosive movement" wouldn't the technique stay there once the athlete gets fitter and fitter?

I want to say I like what CrossFit stands for and I do a number of the workouts and metcons for my conditioning work during the season for my sport (rugby union) however I also respect what Poliquin does in terms of strength training.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Russell Greene

Profile:

Oli,

Have you checked out Greg Glassman's video on threshold training here?: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/03/...-threshold.tpl (link is W/F safe)

Coach Glassman addresses the technique vs. intensity debate in this video.

CrossFit has always advocated developed mechanics first, then consistency, and then adding intensity. Insisting upon perfect mechanics (a goal that does not exist in practice) at all times, however, confines an athlete to lower levels of output.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

good write up mr. greene... could you please provide the data you speak of and explain how CF programming is organized and how it is not completely random. thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
Russell Greene

Profile:

Andrew,

Do you agree that the CrossFit Games are the world's best test of fitness? If so, then the Games season would be the best source for data on improving fitness, right?

As for the random question, check out the link I posted above to the Dave Castro lecture.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Quote:
Oli,

Have you checked out Greg Glassman's video on threshold training here?: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/03/...-threshold.tpl (link is W/F safe)

Coach Glassman addresses the technique vs. intensity debate in this video.

CrossFit has always advocated developed mechanics first, then consistency, and then adding intensity. Insisting upon perfect mechanics (a goal that does not exist in practice) at all times, however, confines an athlete to lower levels of output.
Not yet, I have only just signed up for the journal and haven't watched much of it yet. Thanks for the link and I'll check it out when I am not at work.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Thats the second time you have posted that video by Dave Castro as an answer to Crossfit programming.

First in the world of fitness, who in the heck is Dave Castro? What are his qualifications to even have a legitimate opinion on training?

I don't want to hear about him being a former SEAL that has nothing to do with real athletic training. Does he even have a degree or any formal education in anything? Who are the legitimate athletes he has trained? If he is to be considered an authority can you please qualify him as such?

People are on this site because its a great place for information sharing and gathering but I think you can easily see a trend as you go through the threads. People are steering clear of mainsite programming and directing others to do the same.

That tells me there is a problem which should be addressed. There are a lot of people who have paid a lot of money to CrossFit myself being one of them and a video that says "its not random" doesn't address the question.

Why not pull a months worth of programming from mainsite and break it down, address the template that was followed, discuss the philosophies behind the wods which were chosen? This is open source right? Well open it up lets perhaps start a thread where HQ can "teach" us how its done.

I would hope there is interest from HQ in solidifying its concepts among the people who are dedicated to teaching and following the program.

Most professions I know have ongoing training why not provide the same for the trainers? The journal is nice but some things require more than a 1 page article.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Russell Greene

Profile:

Dave is CrossFit's Director of Training. Doesn't that qualify him to explain CrossFit programming?

You message board guys talk a lot. I get that. I love to argue, too. Something that we need to remember, though, is that fitness isn't expressed by words, it's expressed by work. Superior methods for developing fitness aren't established through words, they're expressed through consistently superior levels of work capacity across broad time and modal domains.

You want CrossFit to teach you how to program. Have you attended a Level 1 seminar? A Coach's Prep Course? Or even delved deeply into the Journal? It's not all one page articles.

As for ongoing training, have you noticed how many specialty seminars there are?

This is straight off the main page:
Endurance
Football
Goal Setting
Gymnastics
Kettlebells
Mobility
Oly Lifting
Powerlifting
Rowing
Striking
Strongman

That looks like a substantial amount of ongoing training to me.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
Pearse Shields

Profile:

You still avoided the question with regards to main site programming. As for Dave Castro holding the qualifications for his position because he holds his position, that's merely circular reasoning. How many top-tier athletes at the games follow CF.com programming? Surely that's the biggest test of CF's programming's legitimacy?