CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Zack Brayfield

Profile:
RX Jump Rope

I ordered an RX jump rope to work on DU's. After waiting a week for it to be delivered, it finally came today. I excitedly opened it and realized they sent me the wrong rope!

I am 5'11" so I ordered the Elite 2.6 at 8'11" and received the Ultra 1.8 at 9'0". Do you think the difference in the cable length and weight is significant or should I just try it out and see how it feels? I'm very bad at DU's and have only done a few consecutively with the leather ropes at my old gym.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Bryan Kemper

Profile:
Re: RX Jump Rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Brayfield View Post
I ordered an RX jump rope to work on DU's. After waiting a week for it to be delivered, it finally came today. I excitedly opened it and realized they sent me the wrong rope!

I am 5'11" so I ordered the Elite 2.6 at 8'11" and received the Ultra 1.8 at 9'0". Do you think the difference in the cable length and weight is significant or should I just try it out and see how it feels? I'm very bad at DU's and have only done a few consecutively with the leather ropes at my old gym.

Thanks for your help.
You really a need thicker cable than even the Elite if you have a hard time stringing them together. I had an Elite(I believe) for about a year and did well with it, but got into a DU slump. I got a Buff cable for Christmas and love it. The extra heft and thickness helps to slow the rope down and string together many DUs. The very first WOD that I tried it, I did 35 in a row. A tremendous improvement.

The length should be alright with only an inch extra..
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Zack Brayfield

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
You really a need thicker cable than even the Elite if you have a hard time stringing them together. I had an Elite(I believe) for about a year and did well with it, but got into a DU slump. I got a Buff cable for Christmas and love it. The extra heft and thickness helps to slow the rope down and string together many DUs. The very first WOD that I tried it, I did 35 in a row. A tremendous improvement.

The length should be alright with only an inch extra..
Bryan - Thanks for the advice. I contacted Rx Jump Ropes and told them I received the wrong rope. They sent me the Elite rope I ordered and a Buff replacement rope for free. I'll start training with the Buff rope and will hopefully get better at DU's.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

I am still learning double unders myself, but I got the Rx Rope with the Buff cable...my god did that thing hurt. Way to thick for me. After one session my ankle was swollen from that cable hitting it. I just got the Elite and like it much better, although Im still struggling with stringing them together.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I started w an Elite and moved to an Ultra.

I assumed the lighter, the easier to do double unders, once you've got the ability to do them. Is that not correct?

I like my Rx rope, but the handles are kind of heavy, I think I might switch to a Rogue or Again Faster in the future.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

I use my old buddy lee handle+ swivel bearing with the Rx cable (Elite 2.6). Works really well for my skill level (20 double unders unbroken is about my average)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
David R Newman

Profile:

Zack glad we could get your order straightened out. Sorry about the mix up. I would stick with the Buff 3.4 cable for a while. It will help you build stamina while allowing you to slow down your tempo and get your timing dialed in.

Douglas, usually when athletes are whipping themselves really bad that is a product of increased rope speed and lack of height on the bound and/or bad timing. We really promote waiting for the rope to get down low in front of the toes then getting good separation from the ground and only turn the rope fast enough to get it around for that second turn. Learning slow double unders is an invaluable skill to have for your crossfit work outs. It's always easy to speed it up later when you need to.

Jayme our handles, we feel, are closest in size to fit the ergonomics of a relaxed hand. Relaxed hands/forearms are key to performing good double unders while putting off fatigue for as long as possible. It is also fairly consistent to a pull up bar, barbell, dumbell and most other grip related objects in a gym. thanks