CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Competition Prep

I know this has been covered on here, and I did a bit of searching.

I am looking to get myself in the right condition to compete at the beginning of next year and was looking for some feedback on programming. I HAD been following CFFB for about a year and a half, mostly to get stronger and maintain some conditioning. I feel like I accomplished that and now have "decent strength". My 1RM on the strength is approximately:
Back Squat: 355
Front Squat: 275ish
Deadlift: 415
Press: 155
Bench: 215
OHS: 190ish
Power Clean: 225
Power Snatch: 160
Jerk: 210

I can do pull ups, double unders etc, but the "skills" I need most work on are (in no specific order)
C2B pull ups (can do em, just not in great volume)
HSPU's (can do them, just not 10+ in a row for sets)
Muscle Ups (can do them but only about 3 in a row, and not lots)
Thrusters (at any weight for any reps needs work)
Olympic Lifting (really not great at it at all, mostly full cleans and snatches)
Pretty much anything OH (press, push press, jerks)

I just did a competition and it went pretty well. I followed OPT's programming and I am enjoying it. I also miss the heavy lifting of CFFB a bit. I could either

1. Continue with OPT as written an start ramping up to his "will" porgram, geared towards competitors
2. Do CFFB, but also do some skill work as well (gymnastics and Oly lifting each week) and sub in tougher compeition style WODs and some doubles on the Saturday conditioing only day
3. I could follow MP and try to sub in skilll and strength work but I feel I could screw this up pretty easily and overtrain and get hurt. Although I could also follow a week behind too.
4. Something else you guys devise

I also don't want to be repsonsible for doing all my own programming or get too crazy. I can follow along but I don't know enough to do my own yet. I also have no regular access to a coach or affiliate so that is out. It's me in my garage at home.
I am not looking to light it up at the Games, just to make it through the open this year and compete at Regionals against all the kids to a respectable finish. I have a job and family etc.

Would love some suggestions, thanks guys & gals
Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Milton Brisson

Profile:
Re: Competition Prep

That OPT stuff is doing well for you brother! Stay the course! Mr. Fitzgerald knows a thing or two about training to win at this stuff!

Or, you could just go back a year in Jay Rhodes' log and do everything he did in that time frame. He did lots of gymnastic and Oly work in that time coupled with great conditioning work, and he set countless PRs on all the major lifts.

Maybe thats what I'll do.....
Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Steve Bray

Profile:

with what ever program you do you should be practicing skills. i usually practice skills when im hanging around the box before/after a wod things like ring HSPU's and muscle ups/bar muscle ups. double unders etc are things i do every day but not enough to tire/overload me. so what im saying is just practice every skill every day and do whatever program you're on. oh and ive just started olympic lfting lessons with a coach
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Thanks Milt I am glad you chimed in, keep me headed in the right direction. I had thought about a stint back doing MP with some skill worked in too, not sure though.

Steve, I would love to hang around the gym and work on skills. I have two kids and a very busy job. My time in the gym needs to be as efficient as possible. When I am done working out, my kids are waiting to play with me. I also work out by myself in the garage. I push myself so I need some "competition" with others on a program to keep moving most days.

But yes I should be doing skill work, and no not double unders. I can probably do them better than just about anything at all in Crossfit. I should be doing gymnastics and Oly lifting technique work.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Jason A Smith

Profile:

It was funny I found this looking for something else. Pretty sure at the time there wer not a lot of options. Funny how much better I have actually gotten at most of the stuff I wanted in the past year and a half. Strength has gone up some, but it is the conditioning aspect I have improved on the most.

Currently working with Mike Fitzgerald of OPT Calgary and am very happy with the progress so far.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
It was funny I found this looking for something else. Pretty sure at the time there wer not a lot of options. Funny how much better I have actually gotten at most of the stuff I wanted in the past year and a half. Strength has gone up some, but it is the conditioning aspect I have improved on the most.

Currently working with Mike Fitzgerald of OPT Calgary and am very happy with the progress so far.
I thought he moved to Arizona?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Jason A Smith

Profile:

James moved to Arizona, Mike (his younger brother) stayed in Calgary.