CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #21
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: GSP VS. Silva, GSP stand a chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Jones is about to go to sleep via Rampage bungalows. Jones doesnt deserve that fight. Cello i'll reply to your post once im off my crappy phone.
Wait, what? Jones doesn't deserve that fight? With Rampage?
How do you figure that?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #22
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Wait, what? Jones doesn't deserve that fight? With Rampage?
How do you figure that?
Jones doesn't deserve a fight with A. Silva. He does deserve a fight with Rampage.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #23
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Jones doesn't deserve a fight with A. Silva. He does deserve a fight with Rampage.
Doug -
I agree that Silva has proven himself worthy of taking just about any fight he wants, but I do not understand your comment.
If Jones is the Champ of his division, how do you figure he doesn't "deserve" a fight with a challenger?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Doug -
I agree that Silva has proven himself worthy of taking just about any fight he wants, but I do not understand your comment.
If Jones is the Champ of his division, how do you figure he doesn't "deserve" a fight with a challenger?
He does deserve fights with most challengers. But, A. Sliva has beat every person put in front of him in the UFC and has done so rather easily for years now. Silva has proven himself over and over and over again.

Jones is just getting ready to defend his title for the first time. That's my point. Jones needs to prove himself more prior to fighting what most would consider the GOAT in the sport.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #25
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Oh, I definitely agree that he must defend, and win. If he doesn't, there's no need for Silva to get through him to fight for the LHW title.
I did think it was weak that Silva wouldn't fight Lyoto for the belt because he's a buddy, but whatever.
I am a huge fan of Silva. I just want to see him matched up in better fights. I think those will come in LHW more than they will in Middle weight.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #26
Jason Ashman

Profile:

If Jones beats Rampage as convincingly as he beat Rua, you could make a VERY strong case that he's pound-for-pound the best in the world. He's only 24, he's easily the most unorthodox fighter in the world, and if he beats the best puncher in his weight class, who's left, Machida?

Evans and Davis are basically it. You could make an outside case for Gustaffson, but Davis handed him his *** awhile back.

In GSP and Silva, you have 2 people who are untouchable atop their weight classes. In GSP's case, Dana White is bringing in talent from lesser companies and over-hyping them in order to sell the match. Hell, GSP beats Shields- who looked horrible in his debut fight with Kampfmann- convincingly with one eye, and while giving Shields the jab that he couldn't see coming. And now Shields is headlining a UFC Fight Night. Here and gone, 1 shot wonder.

In Silva's case, he hasn't actually been tested in a LONG time; he fights to level level of his opponent, and even when it appears he's losing, he's really just a shift of the gears away from winning (i.e. The Sonnen fight).

Neither one of them are close to losing a fight, unless someone gets damn lucky.

If Jones wins- and utterly dominates the way he did against Rua- against Rampage, you can make a serious case that there's now 3 weight classes with untouchable champions.

I'd take a Jones/Silva fight in a heartbeat; Silva/GSP, not so much- the jump is too much for GSP, the cut too much for Silva.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
Neal Smith

Profile:

I got to agree with Celio on this one. Anderson is the greatest fighter in MMA - I'm not sure why people are afraid to say it, but it's true, who has had more dominance in the sport? Knockout, submission, making top level athletes look like children.

GSP is a GREAT fighter, however how many knockouts has he had? NO not TKO, actual knockouts? How many submissions, not attempted submissions... He goes in with a gameplan... he executes gameplans, he's a nice guy (the reason why he doesn't get some of those submissions i.e. dan hardy)

Overall GSP couldn't hold a candle to Anderson, anderson is too long, and way too fast.

It would be a no win situation (as stated before) - If anderson wins... he beat a smaller guy... in GSP wins the UFC now has a tainted the greatest fighter in MMA history.

Dana talks about being a 'fan of the sport' and wanting to see fights 'fans want to see' some of that is true... he's put together some great fights, but in the end he's a business man and it's about money. GSP losing to Anderson doesn't make him money... Anderson losing to GSP doesn't make him money.

I think the same about a Jon Jones vs Anderson fight - just doesn't make sense. however a anderson vs shogun or anderson vs lyoto...
Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #28
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
He does deserve fights with most challengers. But, A. Sliva has beat every person put in front of him in the UFC and has done so rather easily for years now. Silva has proven himself over and over and over again.

Jones is just getting ready to defend his title for the first time. That's my point. Jones needs to prove himself more prior to fighting what most would consider the GOAT in the sport.
Hey, Doug-
What do you think about Jones now? has he risen any higher in your estimation, or still need to prove things? Rampage was clearly in the best physical shape that he's been in, probably in over a decade... and he had no answer for Jones.

Clearly Jones is a badd@SS, and he will prove to be more than a mere "challenge" to most guys in 205# just due to his incredible reach, speed, strength and style of fighting. I don't think he'll have a problem with Rashad. If something weird happens in the lead-up to that fight (like Rashad getting injured in training), then I hope we see a Silva - Jones fight. Regardless, if Jones wins that fight with Rashad, then I think the UFC will really have to put together the Silva-Jones fight.

That will be the "super fight" that people have been clamoring for... not GSP vs. Silva.

I'd expect that one to be scheduled for Superbowl weekend.

In that fight, I'd have to give the edge to Silva.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Hey, Doug-
What do you think about Jones now? has he risen any higher in your estimation, or still need to prove things? Rampage was clearly in the best physical shape that he's been in, probably in over a decade... and he had no answer for Jones.

Clearly Jones is a badd@SS, and he will prove to be more than a mere "challenge" to most guys in 205# just due to his incredible reach, speed, strength and style of fighting. I don't think he'll have a problem with Rashad. If something weird happens in the lead-up to that fight (like Rashad getting injured in training), then I hope we see a Silva - Jones fight. Regardless, if Jones wins that fight with Rashad, then I think the UFC will really have to put together the Silva-Jones fight.

That will be the "super fight" that people have been clamoring for... not GSP vs. Silva.

I'd expect that one to be scheduled for Superbowl weekend.

In that fight, I'd have to give the edge to Silva.
i would love to see a jones silva fight. i would love to see jones win
Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #30
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Hey, Doug-
To be fair Jon Jones has 12 inches, FREAKING 1 FOOT, reach advantage on Rampage. Seeing as how Rampage's go to skill is as a striker, Rampage was doomed from the start. There was no way Rampage was going to be able to get close enough to do any kind of damage and thus this fight was done before it started. Jon Jones winning the fight doesn't really prove anything other than his freakish 7' reach can totally neutralize short armed strikers, not that he is the best that has ever been. I mean come on, it is one title defense against a fighter with the worst assets to actually pose a challenge.

And to be honest I don't expect much more out of the Rashad fight. His reach is a whoping 3 inches longer than Rampage at 6'3" and between that and his short stature is going to get physically overwhelmed by Jones. Smallish wrestler/boxers just do not stand a chance against Jones. A much more interesting fight would be a lankier submission fighter, though there are not many of those in the LHW division.

I agree Silva vs Jones would be a very very fun fight though... I just don't think it is a fight Silva would be interested in since he would have everything to lose and doesn't seem to be real interested in moving up in a weight class. I think he knows as he gets older the damage of the bigger fighters will only serve to shorten his career and does not want to move up because of that.