CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Celio Silva

Profile:
Re: GSP VS. Silva, GSP stand a chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Celio, you know darn well GSP has way better boxing then Diaz. Diaz doesn't have traditional boxing. He throws a lot of punches and has a decent chin. That doesnt make you a boxer.

The bjj argument is very close.
Doug, Diaz dosen't "box" in the traditional sense because he fights in MMA, not in boxing. How can an argument be made for GSP having better boxing if he never shows it?! He does have an OUTSTANDING jab, so perhaps he has great boxing skills, but till he grow a pair and show it I will put him on hold.

Boxing in MMA is just like wrestling in MMA is quite dofferent than the traditional forms. I mean, GSP himself is the greatest example of that, having become the greatest wrestler in MMA without having ever wrestled in school!

Meanwhile, Diaz is knocking people out left and right, people that GSP would NEVER trade with, like Daley for example. Boxing is just that, throwing punches, and Diaz does it darn well. The guy uses by far more body shots than ANYBODY in MMA, and DROPS people with it. Nuff said...
Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
I'm all for using a strategy that works. Unfortunately, GSP's strategy leaves me feeling disappointed, annoyed, and like nothing really happened.
xactly! One the most fit and skilled athletes in the game, and yet dosen't use it!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Celio Silva

Profile:

[quote=Pearse Shields;980804]Quoted for truth. I was pleased that Anderson left the showboating behind (mostly) for his fight with Okami.QUOTE]

He is the GOAT, and he show it in the cage, and that takes some "showboating", which he'll always do, specially when facing opponents that can't hold a candle next to him (like Okami). It's part of what makes him the GOAT!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

You cannot say that he steps in the ring and doesn't fight. That is blatantly untrue. He would be knocked unconscious or submitted within 10 seconds if that were true.

You CAN say that he steps in the ring and doesn't fight THE WAY YOU WISH HE WOULD.

As far as my knowledge of BJJ is concerned, I've been training & competing in it for over 2 years, so I think my opinion on BJJ skill levels is qualified.

I doubt that either of us in a position to give an educated opinion as to who has the better BJJ between Diaz and GSP. My guess is GSP b/c he has defeated BJ Penn twice, who is almost universally recognized as having one of the best P4P BJJ games. I don't see anyone on Diaz's resume that has superb BJJ skills.

I think it's interesting that you find it acceptable for Silva to showboat and act like a when he thinks he's so clearly superior to his opponents (and thereby drawing out the fight), but when GSP doesn't finish fights you cry foul. As long as someone plays to the crowd, that's ok by you? Interested in WWE much?

You've got biases against GSP and that's fine. But it's utterly ridiculious to say that he doesn't fight.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
MW: Silva ---> oh boy, does he fight!
...when he wants to. If you criticize GSP for his fight vs Shields, then you have to realize Silva did the same against Thales Leites and Damien Maia. He figured he would get dominated on the ground, so he didn't engage. Those were two of the most boring "fights" in recent memory.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
Celio Silva

Profile:

Vickie, you're obviously passionate about BJJ and MMA. I don't have a biases against Georges, quite the contrary, I got to hang out with him by chance when he first became champion here in Sacramento, and he was very cool. I told him I knew he was gonna destroy Hughes, that I had watched from front row, that I thought was really cool how he brought his mom up on the octagon, and congratulated him on his great performance. He was very humble, speaking portuguese to me and my friend, asking us about BJJ, brazilian girls, etc..., even hugging us to pose for pictures for his fans which made my friend and I crack up. That night he fought like a champion! But eversince the Serra KO he hasn't been the same, that's undeniable. He got his champion mentality, that's fine, but I am not interested. He says he wants to be considered the greatest MMA fighter ever, well, sorry Georges, not with your style. You could very well be, but you are not.

Silva, with all his showboating, is the GOAT. Showboating may be new to MMA because MMA is new, but is part of fighting. In fact, it defines the greatness of those skilled AND bold enough to display it. Remember a guy called Bruce Lee?

Even the Leites & Maia fights were work of art, pure art. Like everyone else here, when I first watched I was mad. But after re-watching them later I saw them for what they were, pure dominance. If you think Silva didn't engage with Leites & Maia please watch those fights again (granted, the last two rounds of the Maia fight Silva showed nothing). Watch how Silva literally toyed with Leites & Maia as he PUNISHES them with heavy strikes. They were both a mess the days following the fight. GSP didn't put a SCRATCH on Hardy. GSP's last 4 title defenses over 2 years were boring decisions, Silva's last 5 title defenses over the last 2 years were 3 of the best KOs you'll ever see in MMA (Okami, Belfort, Griffin), 1 submission (Sonnen), and 1 decision over the best grappler in all of MMA (Maia) where Silva for the first two rounds looked like a videogame character doing in the cage what NO ONE ELSE does.

One needs only to open one's mind & eye that when it comes to Silva fighting we are in the presence of greatness. There will be no other like him. Young cats will grow up in the sport doing impressive stuff like Pettis and Jones, but in the future Silva will be the name talked about. He is Mixed Martial ARTS greatest ARTIST!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
Celio Silva

Profile:

BTW, does anyone remembers how to edit my profile? THanks!

Nevermind, got it...

Last edited by Celio Silva : 09-01-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #18
Mark Sands

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Ever since the Serra KO he hasn't been the same, that's undeniable. He got his champion mentality, that's fine, but I am not interested. He says he wants to be considered the greatest MMA fighter ever, well, sorry Georges, not with your style. You could very well be, but you are not.

Silva, with all his showboating, is the GOAT. Showboating may be new to MMA because MMA is new, but is part of fighting. In fact, it defines the greatness of those skilled AND bold enough to display it. Remember a guy called Bruce Lee?

Even the Leites & Maia fights were work of art, pure art. Like everyone else here, when I first watched I was mad. But after re-watching them later I saw them for what they were, pure dominance. If you think Silva didn't engage with Leites & Maia please watch those fights again (granted, the last two rounds of the Maia fight Silva showed nothing). Watch how Silva literally toyed with Leites & Maia as he PUNISHES them with heavy strikes. They were both a mess the days following the fight. GSP didn't put a SCRATCH on Hardy. GSP's last 4 title defenses over 2 years were boring decisions, Silva's last 5 title defenses over the last 2 years were 3 of the best KOs you'll ever see in MMA (Okami, Belfort, Griffin), 1 submission (Sonnen), and 1 decision over the best grappler in all of MMA (Maia) where Silva for the first two rounds looked like a videogame character doing in the cage what NO ONE ELSE does.

One needs only to open one's mind & eye that when it comes to Silva fighting we are in the presence of greatness. There will be no other like him. Young cats will grow up in the sport doing impressive stuff like Pettis and Jones, but in the future Silva will be the name talked about. He is Mixed Martial ARTS greatest ARTIST!
yea that ^^^
Old 09-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
Mark Martinez

Profile:

I'm a fan of both GSP and Anderson Silva. I just can't picture GSP winning against AS. Who knows though?

I'd be a lot more interested in a Bones vs Silva match.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
I'm a fan of both GSP and Anderson Silva. I just can't picture GSP winning against AS. Who knows though?

I'd be a lot more interested in a Bones vs Silva match.
Jones is about to go to sleep via Rampage bungalows. Jones doesnt deserve that fight. Cello i'll reply to your post once im off my crappy phone.