CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Anyone has experienced with too much ARCH during squats?

In the past, I've developed pain right under the hip bone, at the front of the hip, where the bone is felt easily with the fingers, at the height of the beltline or slightly under. I've developed this pain after squatting heavy.

I just looked at some videos from last year and took some stills. Here they are attached.

At first I posted about it and it was suggested that it might be the knees coming in, but video from another angle showed little caving in of the knees, not enough to cause this.

Recently I saw a video of Kelly Starret talking about how a tight psoas causes you to produce a "man belly" when squatting, this impinging something in the hip flexors with squatting. I think this is exactly what happens to me.

Even right now, if I do the yoga "cats and dog" drill, on all fours, if I start leaning back (into a state of a lot of hip flexion) while at the same time contracting the lower back, I feel this pain a little bit. But if I bace the abs hard and go into hip flexion it doesnt happen.

I think I've always been so worried about the cues to not ROUND the back, that I made a tremendous effort to ARCH it, not keep it flat. I don't think I ever even thought of tight abs while squatting, just very tight lower back muscles. Am I onto something? Why hasn't this happened to someone else??? It would be awesome to hear of someone who dealt with this, or someone's client/patient or whatever.... any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squatback.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	7744  Click image for larger version

Name:	squatback2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	7745  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: Anyone has experienced with too much ARCH during squats?

Practice hollow rocks with perfect form. This requires to keep the low back flat on the floor, which will help you control your spinal positioning in movements. If you have a CFJ subscription, look up the recent videos on 'The Position' by Kstar and Carl Paoli.