CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
mouth breathers or those w/perpetual nasal obstruction

Does anyone know of any remedies? Or perhaps causes? I picked up on of those Neti pots that's supposed to help.

It's nothing revolutionary. It's just a ceramic little pot that you fill w/warm salt water. You lean over a sink, stick the spout into one nostril and then tilt your head to the side to let the water flow through and out of the other nostril.

I only tried it once yesterday and it helped but it didn't last long. But I'm sure if it DOES work, you'd have to use it consistently. So I'm planning on doing it twice/day to see if it helps.

But for as long as I can remember, I've always been at least somewhat congested in the nose/nasal cavity or sinus area(can't really tell which is which).

Any other theories? Deviated septum? Nasal polyps?

Of course, my sole motivation for this is to increase my oxygen intake thus improving my Fran time
(kidding - but I imagine how much better I could perform if I could get more oxygen in during workouts.)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: mouth breathers or those w/perpetual nasal obstruction

When you find out, keep us posted. My husband has the same issues. He doesn't work out right now, but is not overweight, eats mostly Paleo (same as I do), drinks rarely at this point, and still has very touchy sinuses and stuff. He gets sinus infections A LOT, has a lot of dust allergy issues, and just general ickiness in there. We're trying a bunch of things - cutting back on the dairy that sneaks in, and next I'm going to try giving him a hypoallergenic pillow.

We do have a neti pot at home which he uses when he feels pretty junky but again, we haven't been consistently using it as a preventative.

Anyway, yes, pass along any info!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Michael V. Erickson

Profile:

I bought an Austin Air filter for my bedroom, first night I used it I woke up and could breath through both nostrils. I don't think I'd experienced that in ten years. I've been using the Ocean Spray nasal spray regularly for some time, like you said, helps but doesn't last. Fortunately it's cheap and convenient. I have a deviated septum but most of my problems have to do with allergies. I used to get sinus infections once or twice a year. I got pretty sick and didn't know what was causing it. Night and day difference now. I also take Quercetin, I'm pretty sure it helps reduce the intensity of the allergies, but I started taking it about the same time I got the air filter. I understand the air filter taking care of me at home, but my walking around outside and at work seems better now too. FWIW.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Massively deviated septum for me. Is breathing thru the nose more efficient? Otherwise the only downside I see to mouthbreathing is in the winter when it dries out your lungs.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Davis Hart

Profile:

I had this issue until I went paleo. Now, when I consume any quantity of dairy over the course of a few days, it returns. Not sure what you are eating, but that might be something to try.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Kevin Oie

Profile:

I've had a history of allergies, asthma, and sinus infections too. I get them like clockwork every time summer turns into fall (late October) and when spring breaks (now, and suffering through one at the moment). Most of the time I'm just kind of stuffy, especially upon waking up in the morning.

When I was younger doctors recommended that I have a surgical procedure to drain my sinuses. My parents didn't pull the trigger on it, but I often wonder what may have happened if they did? Essentially they make a small incision either right outside your nostril or inside (I forget which) and suction everything clean with a tube. That may be an option.

I *know* what triggers everything for me - allergies. Dust mites, mold, trees, ragweed are my primary allergens. Maybe you have dust allergies like me, which can occur both indoor and outdoors? Head to an allergist and get tested, or to an Ear\Nose\Throat guru? I went Paleo for a couple months and while I dropped a significant amount of body fat, my allergies weren't affected (your mileage may vary though).

If you do find something that nails it, please do report back. Good luck