CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Ted Toal

Profile:
Wendler 5/3/1

I am in the third week of cycle one and I seriously underestimated my 1RM for all lifts (I wanted to play it safe). My questions is, should I proceed with the week four de-load or go right into cycle 2 since I now have a much better idea of my 1RM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Wendler 5/3/1

You're supposed to underestimate the starting 1RM to prolong the linear progression. Follow the program and enjoy the "easy" weeks while they last.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Like how bad?

You're supposed to base your training max on 90% of your actual max. So your first few cycles are supposed to be easy. But if you are ridiculously off (like hitting 20+ reps) then yeah you could probably re-evaluate your training maxes.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

As Chris said, you are supposed to start fairly easy, using 90% of your 1 RM as your training max. If the first cycle was very easy and you don't feel beat up, I'd go ahead and skip the deload week. Keep in mind that 531 is a get strong SLOWLY program, designed to maintain steady progress for many cycles.

If you are trying to build strength more quickly, especially if you've never completed a linear progression program, you should look at SS or Justing Lascek's "Simple Yet Effective" program.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Yeah when I did it I almost felt like I was wasting my time when I went to the gym. I'd get to the singles and be like "Really? that's it?"

It's deceptive though. It's kinda like the workouts where you have the running clock and the first minute you only do 1 rep and then rest. The second minute you do 2 reps. For a while it seems like you're wasting your time, but then you get up into the 10 minute range and it's kicking your ***. It's kinda like that...I'd say stick with it like it says to do and eventually you'll start to feel the pain and be satisfied.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

From his e-book...
"Question: Do I need to deload if Iím a beginner?
Answer: You donít need to deload no matter who you are, but I highly recommend using a deload every fourth week, because it allows your body and mind to rest. Youíre not going to get weaker. If you do, itís all in your mind."
He also says you can skip the deload if your only training once or twice a week.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
You're supposed to underestimate the starting 1RM to prolong the linear progression. Follow the program and enjoy the "easy" weeks while they last.
This. +1
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Yeah when I did it I almost felt like I was wasting my time when I went to the gym. I'd get to the singles and be like "Really? that's it?"

It's deceptive though. It's kinda like the workouts where you have the running clock and the first minute you only do 1 rep and then rest. The second minute you do 2 reps. For a while it seems like you're wasting your time, but then you get up into the 10 minute range and it's kicking your ***. It's kinda like that...I'd say stick with it like it says to do and eventually you'll start to feel the pain and be satisfied.
Great analogy. By the second month/cycle, it should be kicking your a$$, if you're estimating your 1RM properly. I did deads this AM and was out of breath for a good 3 minutes after the money set. Then again, I'm older than dirt.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Ted Toal

Profile:

Thanks for the replies!

I think I estimated my press fine as I got 5 reps on the last set. For all other lifts, I was 10 to 15 reps on the last sets. I'm slightly sore so I think I will deload next week then move to the next cycle.

I can already tell the next cycle will be tough. I really think I'm just anxious to get to it but I'll stick to the program!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

Ted I just finished my third week (1st month) and I sort of felt that at times as well, like "is this supposed to be this easy". I have been hitting over 10 reps in all my lifts on the max sets, except for press. That's what I want to ask all of you about.

When I started I used my 1RM for press from my most recent CFT back in Nov. What I failed to take into account was that because I was nursing an injured shoulder and then really two injured shoulders for about 3 months I hadnt been doing any overhead movements. Last night I hit the 1 rep that is prescribed for week 3, but it was tough. Should I just repeat cycle 1 with respect to press for cycle 2 or maybe even lower my est 1rm so that my working numbers are smaller in cycle 2? Thanks.