CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Combining CrossFit with P90X, and Insanity

Hello everyone. I started doing crossfit in January of 2010 and following the Paleo Diet since August of 2010. I dropped 4" off my waist and went from 170 to 156#. My goal was to get lean and a six pack. At the end of Februaty of 2011 I hadn't seen any changes since around November. I was in the best shape of my life, but my body shape just wasn't where I wanted it to be yet. I guess some of that has to be hereditary because I'm eating right and exercising.

So about 2 weeks ago, my co-worker suggested that I try P90X or Insanity. I decided to give P90X a try first. I just finished day 3 of week # 2 and I'm feeling great. I'm going to see after a full month to see how it is working, but so far I feel very good. Yoga is a killer. After I'm done with the 90 days, I'm going yo give Insanity a try since my other co-worker is doing it and he says it works great.

I did some checking and a lot of guys are combining the heavy days of P90X and replacing the Plyometeics, Yoga, and Kempo of P90X with the Insanity workouts. I was thinking of actually combining all three. Day 1: P90X Chest and Back+ Ab Workout. Day 2: Insanity Workout. Day 3: CrossFit WOD + Ab workout. Day 4: Rest/Stretch. Then repeat and do different things.

I think for me, something like this would work out great. I love CrossFit, but there are some things that I don't agree with. While I like that it is random, I think that it should be more structured. And I think I need to do more cardio and some more Ab workouts since my lower abs are not where I want them to be yet.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Christopher Paulson

Profile:
Re: Combining CrossFit with P90X, and Insanity

Mixing all three isn't the greatest idea.

If you're doing CrossFit and think you need more cardio, you should probably exert yourself more in the WOD's. I.E. Being able to function as a normal member of society minutes after your WOD shouldn't be feasible unless it was a lifting day (1-1-1-1-1-1-1, etc).

If you feel you need teh abzorz, add some core work into your warm-ups. GHD, Knees to Elbows, parrellettes (sp?), ring work, etc. That'll do it quick. Be careful with the GHD's though.

P90X is a waste IMO. You'll feel a "burn" after 130 reps of anything... But to each their own.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Christopher Paulson

Profile:

Oh, and Kettlebells. Kettlebells will do it fast too!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Personally I think P90X and Insanity are crap, but feel free to give your plan a shot.

I agree that CF.com is too random and unstructured to give gains to most anyone other than a novice, but there are plenty of other options out there that do make a little more sense. CFFB, 70s Big Program, CF/conjugate, Catalyst, OPT, any number of affiliate programming, etc. CF.com isn't the only way to "do CF."

Unless you're 5'5", I don't know that I'd consider dropping to 156lbs to be a good thing. Do you have any goals other than killer abs? Something performance-related perhaps? Chasing small improvements in your disappointing lower abs is likely to be a frustrating and unfulfilling journey.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
And I think I need to do more cardio and some more Ab workouts since my lower abs are not where I want them to be yet.

Any thoughts?
Man, the above statement is gonna get you killed around here.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I'm 5'7" tall on a good day so that is the reason I'm only 156#. I tried to go up to 160 and I couldn't maintain it on the Paleo Diet and I was eating 6 times a day. My times and weight used on the WODs was getting better and better every day, so I dknt think I was slacking at all. The reason I'm trying P90X is because I know guys that have done it and they looked worst than me and they got the results they wanted, so I'm just trying to rule out genetics by doing the P90X. My primary goal is definitely to be in great shape and my se one goal is to get the shape. I'm 36 years old and can still run the mile in 6 minutes, so I'm in good shape.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Paulson View Post
P90X is a waste IMO. You'll feel a "burn" after 130 reps of anything... But to each their own.
I wouldn't say PX90 is a waste, most of the general public are all about looks and PX90 can get most the body they want. If it gets people of off the couch then it cannot be a bad thing. Also, you cannot knock PX90 for doing a 130 reps of something when CF has numerous workouts that involve doing hundreds of pull-ups, push-ups and squats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Man, the above statement is gonna get you killed around here.
Why? More than half of this board is worried about how they look naked or how many abs they can see. Its the same thing as the OP.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Why? More than half of this board is worried about how they look naked or how many abs they can see. Its the same thing as the OP.
I'm guilty as charged. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to look good, especially when I have never had a six pack my whole life. It is just a personal goal for me. My primary goal is to be physically fit, which I am already. My secondary goal is to get lean.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

It would be nice if sit ups had anything do with with having a six pack, but they don't. Genetics and bodyfat, which is controlled mostly by diet.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
Christopher Paulson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
I wouldn't say PX90 is a waste, most of the general public are all about looks and PX90 can get most the body they want. If it gets people of off the couch then it cannot be a bad thing. Also, you cannot knock PX90 for doing a 130 reps of something when CF has numerous workouts that involve doing hundreds of pull-ups, push-ups and squats.
Keywords. IMO. We can agree to disagree.

I still maintain that if OP says he needs more cardio from CrossFit, he isn't pushing himself. I don't know anyone that can blast through a WOD and say, "Lets go for a run, I don't feel winded enough."