CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I've heard that pullups are where your palms face toward you, but I've also heard chinups are where your palms face toward you. Is there an official name for palms facing toward you, pullup or chinup?
:yeahthat:
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
i call chin-ups falms facing towards me and pullups away but i'll let wiki figure it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin_ups

Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
ok chin-ups=palms toward me thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
David Schneider

Profile:  
According to the CrossFit Journal of April 2003 (number 8 I believe), a pull-up is "The pull-up begins from a hang at full arm and shoulder extension and ends, regardless of grip, with the chest pressed tightly to the bar." !!!

Also in the article is "In the early stages of developing a pull-up it is acceptable to bring the Adam's apple to the bar instead of the chest....". To me that's means the chin over the bar, not just brushing the bar underneath.

Now I'm a new guy, and there may be other, more recent definitions that I haven't seen yet, but that seems to be the offical positon. And it is tough....in all of the videos I've seen with some very capable, even awesome, men and women doing sets of exercises against time, I don't recall any "chest to bar" pull-ups. And even the chin over the bar variety often degrades to the chin barely touching the bottom of the bar.

Pull-ups (and air squats) have had a dramatic postive effect on my feeling of well being. I'm pleased to be able to do a handful of chin over the bar pull-ups now....but I'll be working hard to be able to do CrossFit chest to bar pull-ups, and of course the over head squat!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
David is right, mix grips: overhand, underhand, mixed, there all good. One quick note...I usually use overhand grip due to it's real world carryover (climbing fences, walls, etc.) but still mix it up.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I find that palms-facing each other (neutral?) makes kipping difficult.

(Unfortunately, the only pull up stations at my globo-gym that are high enough and alow for kipping are neutral grip.) :-(

Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I am strongest (added weight) with palms facing in, and I can do the most unloaded reps (kipping) with palms facing away.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I already mix different grips when i do pullups, yesterday I did one with 95lbs :yahoo:. I even use an alternating grip like a deadlift, I was just curious what the name was. I've heard it was this, it was that..... :biglaugh: