CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:
Over trainning

Not trying to start a big debat but wondering if anyone else things that doing Fran and then todays wod and then the 7's wod is a bit much in the overtrainning department. Just wondering. Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Over trainning

Are you planning on doing them all in one day?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:

If you've eased into the mainsite WODs through proper scaling, then your body should be able to cope. If you can't and you feel that your body is really run down, then take an extra rest day. You don't have to do every WOD every day. Listen to your body.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Are you planning on doing them all in one day?
Yea Doug all in one day. The reason I was asking is because it seems like the same movements are being done in 3 days. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same, that's all. I guess I like to see some sort of flow from day to day.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I agree with Brent 100%. Doing the CF warmup everyday can ware you down.

But I wasnt happy to see burpees two days in a row.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Cedolia View Post
Yea Doug all in one day. The reason I was asking is because it seems like the same movements are being done in 3 days. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same, that's all. I guess I like to see some sort of flow from day to day.
As has been pointed out before, life doesn't care what body parts you used yesterday. Being able to perform in spite of fatigue is one of Crossfit's goals.

Overtraining takes more than a single three-day cycle, anyway.

Katherine
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
As has been pointed out before, life doesn't care what body parts you used yesterday. Being able to perform in spite of fatigue is one of Crossfit's goals.

Overtraining takes more than a single three-day cycle, anyway.

Katherine
Fair enough. I have strayed away from the mainsite wod for the last few months and before I could see a pattern with 3 days on 1off. I guess the absence of doing mainsite has made me question allot more so sorry to offend anyone. I am not taking a stab at the programing. I have been on a strenth cycle for the past 5 months and needed more time to recover so I have to remind myself that this is a bit different. My conditioning has been short and intense and laid out so I don't over tax or do the same movements. I did Fran the other night with 135 15,9,6 and the night before that heavy deads so I guess I am contradicting myself. Thanks for all the replys I think I have my question answered.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Jeremy Mckenzie

Profile:

I have to agree with John. First, by definition, this is not "widley varied". Second, these 3 days have taxed the same muscle groups and in an explosive fashion, which could lead to an increase in injury. It's basically unnecessary risk in my opinion. Usually DOMS sets in on day 2, and then you're repeating the same exercise fatigued. Increased chance for rhabdo, muscle pulls, or even tears, not to mention being taxed and performing the movement incorrectly, always dangerous. Third, why not put in something else? If I've already hit thrusters, why not do something I haven't done recently to better strengthen my body, hence "widely varied." I understand the argument "train for life" and it is a very good point, I personally would have liked to see a strength day in the cycle instead of doubling up on thrusters and pullups. A more varied routine if you will. And thanks, I know I don't have to every workout, or I can take extra rest days, but I also like to understand the method behind the madness and occasionally think for myself so I can figure out my own programming in case life takes me away from the internet for a day or two. I love you all, you're all elite athletes. Just my two cents. And doing this cycle beats 90% of most training out there, so lets all get along. It's not personal.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Rebecca Chambliss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Cedolia View Post
Crossfit is constantly varried, and if there were "flow" meaning certain body parts used then giving those parts a rest...it wouldn't be constantly varied. The goal is to keep the body engaged and guessing and sometimes that means running workouts in a row and then no running for a month. Sometimes the shoulders are used in every workout for a while. Once the body gets tired, it functions differently and you are working under stress, which is real life.

Every moved from house to house yourself? By the 9th hour, the body has had it, but if you've got to be out...you don't have a choice but to work under stress. Real life.

Listen to your body, and know over time dong CF it goes from yelling to whispering when you're tired.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

It takes more than a day to achieve overtraining.

As to whether or not you can tolerate it without increasing your risk of injury secondary to fatigue or hampering future training secondary to exceeding your ability to recover, there is really only one way to find out.

And, of course, what you may do diet and recovery-wise will affect this as well.