CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
Michael Hill

Profile:

I recently read his blog concerning the possible dangers of deadlifts and it got me thinking. Aside from improper form, does the possible damage some into play only if the load is a ME? Would working with heavy, but submaximal loads - ie triples - greatly minimize the danger? Is it a frequency issue or a combination of these factors? I'd just like everyone's opinion because I'm fairly confused and slightly concerned. I've noticed that if I am not very careful when lifting heavily, that I tend to slightly favor my right side in both the DL and BS (oddly enough not with the FS).

Thanks to all
Old 06-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Practice makes perfect. Are you confident deadlifting? If not, then you should probably not be lifting true 1 rep maxes. Many people can not fly planes and would hurt themselves if they tried because they never learned how. Think of the deadlift similiarly.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I wish Art would make up his mind about what it is he is preaching. It started off with good explanations about the necessity of variability, multimodal exercise, and then it turned into the benefits of concentration curls for avoiding a caveman physique (I thought that was what we were shooting for), Lance Armstrong bringing cancer upon himself, salads, and the X-form physique, of which he was the best example. Sigh. Anywhoo. Does the deadlift deal with positions that entail possible danger? Sure, you actually have to pay attention to looking out for your spine. And does it allow you to move loads that might get you in trouble? Sure, it's a slow lift. It goes without saying. But there are few exercises which work more tissue, in less time, and with so much (grumble) true functional carryover. So how do you deal with those conflicting elements? Rippetoe (I swear, Starting Strength should be passed out in every PE class on Earth) has people both squat and deadlift in a given workout or program, but with less volume on the deads, and if things are going south, he'll slash the deads first. Westside kinda does the same thing, in a rather interesting haze of pin pulls and good mornings.

So. Don't be stupid, but don't think too hard. ;-)
Old 06-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Cut out deadlifting, might as well cut out O-lifting then (got to DL to o-lift), and gymnastics, rowing is too intense and could kill ya, sprinting could hurt, let's go from X physique to X Box!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
John Walsh

Profile:
The Westside guys rarely deadlift but do a lot of lifts that help the dead. I think Louie Simmons says that the dead takes so much but gives so little in return. I’ve done a lot of deadlifting over the years, got up to 605 with a belt. Poor technique and too much frequency kept me from getting much higher. I guess like any thing this is the case. Keep in mind the DeVaney is looking at training through the perspective of a guy over 70.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Carrick Joseph Hines

Profile:
How did he explain Lance Armstrong bringing cancer upon himself?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Robert Thompson

Profile:
How did he explain Lance Armstrong bringing cancer upon himself?

He attributes the development of cancer to a high carb/sugar diet and the resulting increase of free radicals:

(from his blog/archives)
In particular, the endurance athletes follow almost ritualistic training routines and peculiar diets. Lance Armstrong's cancer likely had much to do with the poor antioxidant content of the high caloric density and sugary content of his diet. His aerobic capacity is phenomenal, but this form of metabolism produces abundant free radicals and the sugary diet promotes further free radical damage. Free radicals (ROS) damage cellular DNA and are one of the prime promoters of cancer. They shorten life too, as the ROS delete the ends of the telomeres. The length of the telomeres determines how many times the cell can divide, the Hayflick limit. When the strand of telomeres is gone, the cell dies. Finally, Armstrong's diet is one reason why his skin is rather thick in spite of his somewhat gaunt appearance.

Maybe he's on to something, but he's a little full of himself with his "X" physique, his superior motorcycle skills/stamina, and how every woman wants him to take his shirt off...not to mention that Mongol brow (just "a touch") Russian bride with the big hips giving birth to Lenin-headed babies fantasy...kind of entertaining, but weird...

Old 06-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Curtis Nelson

Profile:
Michael,

All movements are dangerous if done incorrectly! You can injure your spine, ligaments, tendons, or muscles all from doing curls incorrectly. Every movement (no matter the movement) should be done with strict form required for the given exercise. The one problem with heavy movements is certainly double or triple the caution.
The problem I ran into most frequently with training clients while being a personal trainer is balance of strength in all of your muscles. If doing deadlifts and you have week abdominals or weak upper back muscles then other muscles have to compensate for the movement which will soon lead to injury. Of course with heavy weights you always need to be more aware of your fitness level and over all balance in muscle strength.
If you don't feel comfortable with deadlifts just substitute other movements, simple. Anyones exercise program should reflect their physical abilities. Of course I say this not as a scape goat but as something to be aware of in your fitness training.

Train smart, train hard!

Good luck
Old 07-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Daniel Seth Rudolph

Profile:
I am a personal trainer who is also hesitant to have my clients deadlift. I know that it is an awesome lift- I used to do it a lot myself- but perhaps I'm too conservative as I hardly ever have any clients do it. I feel like the risks outweight the rewards.

This has been a very interesting thread...
Old 07-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Your job is to train people and you don't teach them the deadlift!? Out of the powerlifts and olympic lifts it is probably the most encountered in an actual situation. Why wouldn't you have clients deadlift?