CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
David Reynolds

Profile:
Left shoulder pain with muscle ups?

Don know what is goin on but usually when i warm up for muscle ups, my first 5 or so, my left shoulder kills me, yeh i believe it to be a bad hurt, anyway ring dips seem to pan out the same with that left shoulder, any knows, suggestions?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Left shoulder pain with muscle ups?

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. Acute or chronic? What date was onset?

5. Any previous injury history?

6. How's your posture?

7. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

8. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

10. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

11. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Initial impressions -- No clue. theres not even though info to guess.

Stay away from any painful exercises. If you want a real diagnosis see a orthopedic
Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
David Reynolds

Profile:

Hello Steven here is some stuff i came up with: 1. movements that hurt my LS are primarily presses behind my head with a barbell, OHS occasionally, and muscle ups. I have noticed the most pain when racking the bar in the behind the neck position doing split jerk progressions and back squats. My trainer told me that my flexibility is very poor which is true in the shoulder region. In the behind the neck position, i have alot of trouble keeping my elbows directly under the bar if you know what i mean. Shoulder dislocates do not hurt the shoulder at all kinda weird. Pressing behind my head with pvc does not hurt either, it is just when i use 45lbs or more. I have been told that it def could be a routator cuff prob? When i sleep as well when i lay on arm and shoulder is extented slighlty i can feel some discomfort

2. It is a deep visceral ache only when movement occurs, seems to come from the middle and front deltoid area, close to the chest

3. I would say more chronic, has been goin on for about 5 months but has gotten worse in warmups
4. No previous injury history that i can recall, never really hurt before non linear crossfit movements
5. Flexibility is poor according to friends and foes, i know it is, years of being that globo gym guy doing bench press all the time, i have large shoulders and they tend to roll forward quite often
6. I just crossfit 4 to 5 days a week, wod rx'd
7. I mountain bike, dirt bike rock climb, trail run
8.I have been training through the pain for about 5 months or so but again it goes away after warmup usually.
9.No apparent tissue swelling
10. I have been foam rolling and doing some trigger point, prob is don have insurance right now so can't see orthopedic.
Suggestions?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

See what helps and what hurts.... take some notes on all of them and then post back here oncey ou're done

1. Posterior capsule stretch, sleeper stretch, external rotation stretch

2. Lats stretch, pec stretch, pec minor massage. Can use basketball or other ball and lie on top of it for pec rolling.

3. Deep tissue massage all around the scapula; anterior, lateral and posterior shoulder; coracobrachialis, biceps brachii, and brachialis.

4. Nerve glides (google first link)

5. Band dislocates and wall slides

6. Foam roll thoracic spine (put 45s on your chest for deeper stretch). Also, roll side to side as you are rolling and try to arch your back wfs
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...pine-mobility/