CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:
OHS knees coming in, need advice

My wife and I built a garage gym and have been following main site WOD's. I've got a couple of years of CF exp and she has almost a year. We've been trying to dial in her squat form over the last couple of days, getting her to stay more on her heels and keep her knees back. I started her on squatting in front of a wall to work on keeping the knees back. Here's the question, when she squats she starts out with a good stance, not too narrow, toes pointing forward. As she begins her descent, her knees come in, then to correct for that her toes rotate out. She understands what it should look like, but can't get there. Is it hip mobility/flexibility? Any suggestions for a fix are welcome. Need more info, just ask. Thanks.

-Daniel
Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Kerri Heffel

Profile:
Re: OHS knees coming in, need advice

I found that the CF journal article "rebuilding khalipa: part 6" (found here: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/...ipa-part-6.tpl WFS) really helped me drive my knees out on coming up in a squat. The one cue that really sticks with me is staying on the outside of my feet, which tends to keep my knees from coming in.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

" toes pointing forward. As she begins her descent, her knees come in, then to correct for that her toes rotate out"

knees should track toes, for most people that means toes pointed out.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Lauren Greenspon

Profile:

At another gym that I went to for a month (a friend gave me a free pass for a month but they were super expensive) they put a band around my lower legs, not tight, just enough to remind me to press my knees out, it helped a lot to figure out how to.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Yes the band on the outside of the knee can serve as a physical clue and reminder to keep the legs tight and pressing outward. This may be a hip mobility thing but that would be more common for men (not impossible for women though) Hows the overall flexability of the hip?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Heather McMurry

Profile:

She possibly needs to strengthen her glutes. During the descent of the squat this is the primary muscle used when performed correctly.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I'll also vote weak/un-engaged glutes.

Addig in single leg glute bridges into the warm-up often teaches someone how to properly engage their glutes. When the glutes are strong and firing properly, the knees don't cave easily. It is very, very common to see this form fault in people.

Also, after re-reading the original post.... Are you trying to make her feet face perfectly forward? Are you also trying to prevent her knees from going over her toes? Neither of these things are right. Her toes should point out some, about 30 degrees or so. But, as text is often unclear, I may have misunderstood the question.

A video would be super helpful here.

Last edited by Justin McGinley : 06-28-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Need stronger glutes, potentially too tight adductors, may have some strength imbalances on anterior thigh...

Here's some stuff that may help wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

I do recommend band around legs focusing on forcing knees out. Front of wall is good as are box squats

Maybe a bit wider stance with toes out is fine too.