CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Brian McKenna

Profile:
crossfit for wife

I ve been an avid crossfit-er for a while now and im trying to get my wife to jump on the bandwagon. any ideas of how to get her to be willing to try it without seeming pushy? what are some good WODs or exercises to start her off with without risking possible rhabdo?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: crossfit for wife

dude... if she is not interested in the least.... she is not doing it.

scroll to the bottom of the page here and see what the last five threads and see what others have said and tried before.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

What Frank said, and search. All you can do is ask, and if she say no, just drop it. Lead by example is the only way. My gf of two years went to Planet Fitenss yesterday and paid for a 35/hour trainer. I didn't say a word but "great."
Old 05-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Rush this process at your own dire peril.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Jason Kofmehl

Profile:

I think anytime that working out is forced there will be resistance to it. When I went to college I stopped doing everything. I have a swimmer for 13 years and a football player for 5 years. I needed time to get away from it and make it so I wasn't doing it for the betterment of the team or get that starting position and regain it for myself. I started doing crossfit a year ago and in the past 6 months I have gotten back into the pool and start masters swimming again. Maybe start with the simple thing of going for walks or a maybe some sport that you can have fun with.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Dan Schaal

Profile:

WOW Jason. That story sounds JUST like me - I, too swam for about 13 years, played four years of HS football and then went to college and stopped doing everything. Scary. Although I have not started swimming again. Instead I took up ice hockey. BTW, sorry about 'The Chiefs'.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Agreed!!

Tread lightly my friend....tread lightly!

As Jason stated, start out with some simple things. Been married a long time, so I 've learned what battles not to engage in. Sometimes I've found myself in a Hot LZ with no exit strategy.

Good luck.

Last edited by Peter Queen : 05-18-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Brian LaFonte

Profile:

it has taken me a year to really devote myself to the WOD and follow the plan. I have been on it for 6 weeks and am stronger than ever.

She went the other way and started with her diet. She has adopted a paleo approach and has been doing well on it for 4 weeks.

She now helps me with diet and I now help her with the lifting. We workout together and are spending quality time improving ourselves.

Try pitching it to her as a way for you guys to bond. OR take an intrest in something she does and ask her to do the same in return. It has worked out well for me.

It is better than sitting in front of the TV.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Keli Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
I couldn't agree more and not just because we have the same last name. For those of you who don't live in my house: I am NOT an athlete and never have been. I believed CrossFit was beyond my ability no matter WHAT my lovely husband said. True confession - I might have even resented CrossFit a little bit. I'm not sure what finally convinced me to drink the Kool-Aid but I am committed. I did find it easier to build my fundamentals outside our relationshipís dynamic and am grateful that we had another trainer I could work with until I was ready or able to listen to my husband. I could write this experience off as 'just us' but the other threads/posts make me our evolution isnít unique.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Stephanie Rochford

Profile:

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

For me (ie. the horse): My husband introduced me to crossfit by showing me the "nasty girls" video. (ie. water) All I could say was "What is this and how do I do it?" I ended up doing alot of research and watching many videos. I went and had an intro at my local affiliate (ie. drinking the water) and I was hooked. The hardest part for me was the financial side of it, I end up paying more for daycare for three babies than I do for my monthly affiliate cost.

I'm not really the kind of girl that worries about where I'm starting at or that other people might be better than me. I just realize that I'm starting where I am and that's alot better than some people. I understand that not all women operate that way. If there's one thing I've learned about most women, if they aren't into something, they're just not into it, and there not much you can do about it. You could offer it up on a gold platter and no matter what, they will make excuses of why they will not partake.

So I guess it comes down to one of two things. She either gets the idea herself that she's interested in it, or you may be a lone crossfitter.

On another note, are you trying to get her to do it at home or at a gym? I would think that someone with apprehensions may feel more inclined to get involved if they were dealing with someone outside of the marital unit and had the feeling that they were getting the teaching from "someone who is qualified". I'm not saying you aren't! Just some people do better under professional instruction in these types of situations.