CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Frank Perkins

Profile:
Ironman and Crossfit

Hello Crossfit members!

I'm new to Crossfit and I'm going to start training for an Ironman soon (Madison, WI 9/12). I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a Crossfit program that I can incorporate into my Ironman training? I'm also running my third marathon in October in Chicago, IL on 10/10. My goal is to do well enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Ironman and Crossfit

Have you checked out www.crossfitendurance.com? (WFS)
Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
Matt Hughes

Profile:

Hi Frank,

I'm also new to Crossfit. I'm doing my first Ironman on Sunday (I'm actually at the airport now waiting for a plane up to Coffs Harbour, I'll head down to Port Mac tomorrow). I'm planning to start crossfitting proper after I get back and take a couple of weeks off. I've been looking into crossfit for past couple of weeks. I'm a personal trainer and I'm always on the lookout for anything fitness related. I can't offer advise on crossfitting and Ironman training but I have spent the past 7 months preparing to race IM Aus. I'd be intersted to here how you go with incorpoating crossfit into IM training so Keep me posted. I've been down the traditional road, 3 swims, 3 rides and 3 runs per week. Also 1 strength session with a trainer and a pilates class ontop of that. As this is my first IM I'm just aiming to get it done. I'd rather not set a time for myself and be dissapointed by not reaching it, an IM is enough of an undertaking to just finish IMO. I raced 3 half IM this season past with a best time 4:19 on a pretty fast course with ideal conditions. Needless to say I'm pretty excited at the moment and looking forward to getting strated on Sunday. Reading alot about crossfit lately and I'm loking forward to giving it a go. As an endurance athlete pure strength is certainly not my strength so I looking to gain in that respect before I get started on preparing for a full season of 70.3 and hopefully going for a Hawaii qualifier next year (getting ahead of myself a bit there). Keep me posted on how crossfit helps with your IM prep though, I'd love to here your thoughts and progress.

Cheers
Matt
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Christopher Fiser

Profile:

Crossfit won't qualift you for Boston. It also is a poor (IMO) workout for Ironman - you'd be better spending more time on the S/B/R and doing 1-2 days per week of specific workouts that benefit technique.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Justin Baum

Profile:

if you're training for IM then you need to focus on three things--swim bike run (as well as recovery and nutrition of course). adding crossfit is just going to screw with your recovery imho. i've done 4 IMs. i am now "retired" but have done crossfit for the last year and a half. i can't imagine (the benefit) of combining the two.

my two cents.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Hunter Lea

Profile:

Check out crossfitendurance.com (WFS)

I'm also training for my first (half) Ironman in August.

Happy training!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Hunter Lea

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Baum View Post
if you're training for IM then you need to focus on three things--swim bike run (as well as recovery and nutrition of course). adding crossfit is just going to screw with your recovery imho. i've done 4 IMs. i am now "retired" but have done crossfit for the last year and a half. i can't imagine (the benefit) of combining the two.

my two cents.
I've been doing 2-a-days for a couple weeks now. Recovery only sucks when I a: don't take my recovery days seriously, and b: get behind on my nutrition. The crossfit endurance wods are short enough that you get a lot of recovery between workouts (I do endurance in the morning and crossfit in the evening, most days.

Competition in August will be the real test of whether I'm doing things right. We'll see.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Frank Perkins

Profile:

Justin/Christopher: I like the idea of focusing swim, bike, and run. For my strength training workouts (which I may do 1-2/week) I may experiment with different exercises. After my IM I think gonna dedicate more time to Crossfit.

Matt: are you following a specific IM training program? If so, is that something you can email me (tarheelhoops@gmail.com)? I'm interested to see what kind of program you're on. Have a great IM tomorrow!!

Julius/Hunter: appreciate it!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Perkins View Post
Justin/Christopher: I like the idea of focusing swim, bike, and run. For my strength training workouts (which I may do 1-2/week) I may experiment with different exercises. After my IM I think gonna dedicate more time to Crossfit.

Matt: are you following a specific IM training program? If so, is that something you can email me (tarheelhoops@gmail.com)? I'm interested to see what kind of program you're on. Have a great IM tomorrow!!

Julius/Hunter: appreciate it!
Nice to see other Ironman competitors on here!!! I've done 3, with my last being Louisville in 2008. That kicked my butt (for too many reasons to list here..haha) and i thought my 15 years of tris were over. Until......a few weeks ago our base put on a sprint tri and i did it just "for fun". Well, the tri bug has bit again and I've signed up for the Santa Cruz, CA 1/2 IM in Sep of this year. I LOVE working with weights and so I am also trying to find the right balance of tri training and WODs. I will definitely have to keep my eye on this thread.

In 2005, I used Gail Bernhardt's 13 weeks to a sub 13 hour IM, on www.trainingpeaks.com (WFS). I finished IM FL in 13:02, so was happy abou that. There are quite a few online coaches/plans on the trainingpeaks.com website. HOpe this helps. Looking forward to learning and sharing more!

Carolyn