CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Fathia Clay

Profile:
Lakenheath, England

We just learned that my family and I are moving to England (but it's not official yet!). I've been searching for hours on the internet and crossfit webpage for an affiliate or crossfit gym in the Lakenheath area. Does anyone know of one? I know they hold certs close by but there are no crossfit gyms.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Scott Ewan

Profile:
Re: Lakenheath, England

Hi

Nearest affiliate to you in Lakenheath will be CrossFit South in St. Ives.
Looks like it's about 30 miles away.
Can't tell you anything about it though. - I've never been (don't live round there) and their website doesn't seem to be working (link available at CF affilates page - no idea if it's WFS).
I'm planning a work trip up there later this year and was hoping to drop in. If you've not moved by mid-Spring, hopefully I can give you an educated opinion by then...

From another perspective, and I could be wrong (I often am), but I know the CF games sectional for the UK is taking place at the RAF base at Mildenhall. That's just a stone's throw from Lakenheath. But I have no idea if they have a permanent set-up there or if they'd let you in. You could always ask? There's a link on the CF London page with more info & some conacts (wfs)...

Hope this helps (a bit)
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Both Lakenheath and Mildenhall have US Military bases - so bound to be some CF types there.

If you're prepared to travel a bit then there's a CF affiliate in Epping which is a little over an hours drive from Lakenheath (CrossFit Essex and they have a website). However, it's probably not like the affiliates you're used to in the US (take a look at the timetable)

Please bear in mind that traveling in and around that area is pretty crappy as most of it is single lane carriageway until you get to the M11 - so travelling at the wrong time of day will be horrible. Traffic will also include tractors and other assorted farm machinery - I grew up around that area so am well versed with it!

On the plus side there's some really nice scenery and pubs if you like the flat land of the fens. Just don't stray off the paths at night.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Scott Ewan

Profile:

...and beware the moon.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Liam McKarry

Profile:

not likely to be Werewolves but Black Shuck does roam those parts!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Steven Shrago

Profile:

Hi Fathia,

The person you should probably get in touch with is Anthony (xfitaddict@googlemail.com) who is stationed at RAF Mildenhall. He has been doing a lot of work on base to build up a CrossFit community (including arranging certs and other fun stuff).

Kind regards,

Steven
Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Fathia Clay

Profile:

Thanks to all for your replies. We won't be moving there until summer, so we will be missing the UK CF games! If you have more info, please let me know. I will contact Xfit London as well as Anthony. Unfortunately I won't be able to travel 30 miles on a regular basis to the mentioned crossfit affiliate. I have small kids and would be hard for me to do. I was even playing with the idea of helping opening an affiliate in Lakenheath...!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
Travis Miller

Profile:

I know this is an old post, but I am new to CrossFit, check this out... http://crossfitmildenhall.blogspot.c...ap-to-gym.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathia Clay View Post
Thanks to all for your replies. We won't be moving there until summer, so we will be missing the UK CF games! If you have more info, please let me know. I will contact Xfit London as well as Anthony. Unfortunately I won't be able to travel 30 miles on a regular basis to the mentioned crossfit affiliate. I have small kids and would be hard for me to do. I was even playing with the idea of helping opening an affiliate in Lakenheath...!