CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Kevin Sherman

Profile:
Back problems and hip problems?

I've had back problems for ~3+ years due to poor deadlift form and thinking the only way to be hardcore was to work through the pain. With chiropractic care and a lot of attention to preventing further injury, I have remained mostly pain free for ~6 months or so. However, my back pain flares up pretty fiercely on occasion if I do an exercise like DB thrusters, bent over rows, deadlifts, etc. As a result, I have to be very careful about which back exercises I do.

After that long intro, my question is what can I do to prevent problems with my back once I start crossfit? I will have to be very careful doing lower body exercises (squats, front squats, etc) and deadlifts to make sure I do not reinjure my lower back. Doing a WOD that is timed with these exercises seems like a recipe for further aggravating my injury because of the loss of form when focusing on time based lifting.

I have had hip problems for ~1.5 years due to an ingenal hernia I suffered while squatting. I had the hernia repaired, but I still have pain while doing squats. I recently got a hip injection that appears to have helped, but the pain is still there. Any advice on what I can do?

Are people able to work around injuries such as mine and still perform crossfit effectively? I want to prevent further injury and rehab my current injuries at the same time while still peforming crossfit effectively and intensely.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Back problems and hip problems?

Quote:
After that long intro, my question is what can I do to prevent problems with my back once I start crossfit? I will have to be very careful doing lower body exercises (squats, front squats, etc) and deadlifts to make sure I do not reinjure my lower back. Doing a WOD that is timed with these exercises seems like a recipe for further aggravating my injury because of the loss of form when focusing on time based lifting.
You are correct. I wouldn't advise doing high intensity work right now. If you're working the stuff without it, why do you need to CF? At least for right now....

Quote:
I have had hip problems for ~1.5 years due to an ingenal hernia I suffered while squatting. I had the hernia repaired, but I still have pain while doing squats. I recently got a hip injection that appears to have helped, but the pain is still there. Any advice on what I can do?
Talk to a physical therapist about that. It really depends on what's going on.... but there's not enough info to even make a guess.

Quote:
Are people able to work around injuries such as mine and still perform crossfit effectively? I want to prevent further injury and rehab my current injuries at the same time while still peforming crossfit effectively and intensely.
Sure but you gotta be extra careful about form. I wouldn't risk it... at least yet though.