CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-10-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
Adrian Cradock

Profile:
Hi all
I have been power cleaning for few months and did course on coaching the lifts. When i lift at the moment I find when get under the bar towards the bottom of squat back is rounding is this lack of flexibility or am i going down to low or just more practice and work on technique. I am 6ft 5 and back is long.
Advice would be appreciated.
Adrian
Old 03-10-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Greg Kemp

Profile:
Sounds like you are not finishing your pull and pushing yourself under too early. If you finish your pull it should put you in a good position under the bar. Make sure you are curling your wrists and your arms are relaxed as you start the movement this will force your body to finish the pull.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Mike Burgener

Profile:
adrian,
a clean is a missed power clean. a power clean by definition is one where the athlete receives the bar in a above parallel position. so what you are doing is cleaning as i understand your statement above.......so here is my question to you. when you front sqt do you have this same problem? how is your hamstring strength and flexibility? being 6'5 with a long torso creates long levers...you should really be able to get lots of movement on that barbell. before i train the clean we always teach the fs first...making sure that the position is solid and strong. where greg uses pushing yourself under the bar too early i use: pulling oneself under the bar....and as greg states..if you are not finishing your pull then you will be forward.....but first off let me know about your fs position. coach burgener
Old 03-11-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
Adrian Cradock

Profile:
thanks for the replies lads.
Coach Mike - My front squat is quiet good elbows parrell to floor and can go down farely low at least parallel without rounding the back. I can front squat more than back squat as I work more on front squats for the power clean. I know what you mean about full clean i only want to do power clean at the moment but whether its technique I seem to be going down lower than I need to and end up doing a clean. I am hoping to attend your course in June hopefully will have improved a lot.
Greg - think i need to pull bar up another few inches alright not getting shrug.
I find a good exercise starting at end of pull up on toes and just going under the bar and up as normal.
adrian
Old 03-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
Mike Burgener

Profile:
adrian, sounds like you have a plan....if your fs is good and it certainly sounds like it is...then keep on practicing and i am sure you will be fine. we do TALL CLEANS AND SNATCHES to work on the pull-under to help that...as you have indicated. good job.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Just a thought...

Where are you looking? If your gaze up to the horizon or above it forces you to keep your head back and helps keep your shoulders back and thereby helps keep you from rounding your back.

As a tall person I have a habit of dropping my head and looking down because I'm taller than average. You might have the same problem. Just take a moment to notice what you are looking at when you lift and catch the bar.

Dunno if that helps.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Also if the bar trajectory is too far out in front, the temptation is to round the back to 'reach' the bar. Keep the bar close - very close - during the second pull and pull-under. Do not collapse when receiving the bar; meet the bar aggressively and stay tight.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Adrian Cradock

Profile:
Thankslads for the advice in input.
On your point Keith I agree with you. Where you are looking is crucial when I teach basic squat in gym or deadlift etc and some one has rounded back often when they adjust there focus so they are looking straight ahead or slightly up it rounded lower back often disappears and they get good back position without having to think about it too much.
Thanks again
adrian