CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Daniel Rzepski

Profile:
lower back straine after ab workout

While I was doing floor wipers, I developed some pain in my lower back on the right side. It's not a constant pain, but it hurts whenever i pull my chin to my chest, try to raise my legs, or bend straight down to pick something up. I was performing the floor wipers on a concrete surface, and it felt like the right side of my back was rocking back and forth almost like I was laying down a bone and I figured I strained some musceles because of this. Since the injury, I've been stretching out my back nightly, stopped working out, and also been applying bengay before I go to bed. It's been about two weeks since the injury and it doesn't feel like it's getting any better, I was just wondering what your opinions were on what else I could do to speed up the healing process, or if I just have to be patient and keep waiting.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: lower back straine after ab workout

Is it muscles or more bone?

Could be a bunch of dif things (hip flexors, any of the numerous lower back muscles, SI joint, lumbar vertebrae, etc.)... need a picture and other exercises that may hurt.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Daniel Rzepski

Profile:

i'm in class right now, but when I get out I'll show you a picture... as far as exercises go, once my back started to hurt I cut all exercises so avoid any more potential injury, but off the top of my head, i remember working on my form for squats and deadlifts and felt stiffness.... it feels like it's more muscular because of it's location, for example, in the morning when i sit down and tie my shoes, i lean forward to reach my shoes and when i reach to my left side I'm pain free, but when i reach to my right side, i feel the stiffness and the pain... i hope that helps
Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Daniel Rzepski

Profile:

the red circle is right about where it hurts

thanks again for any responses
Attached Images
File Type: png crossfit.png (67.1 KB, 506 views)
Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

If it is truly muscular and there is no swelling.

Heat + lots of massage + rest.

Should improve if it was a pull.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Daniel Rzepski

Profile:

after talking with my mom (whos a nurse) and with a few other people, it looks like I have a sacroiliac injury, does anyone have any experience with this time of injury? Any stretches, remedies to speed up the recovery process?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Dave Matteson

Profile:

The area you identified on top of some of the symptoms you are describing is classic for like a strain of the deep back muscles, possibly as deep as and involving the quadratus lumborum.

Steven's advice is spot on: heat, massage, and rest. Slow and light stretching, especially in the morning, will help loosen the area up which will decrease the chance of further injury. Only apply ice acutely if you re-injure the area over the next 1-2 weeks.

Since most of the muscles in that area are postural muscles, they are constantly firing at a low level, meaning they rarely get any true rest. An injury of this type can plague you for as long as 4-6 weeks, but you should be out of the acute phase in about 2 weeks. After two weeks, gradually (and I mean VERY gradually) increase the weights and intensity of your workouts. Be especially careful of GHD sit-ups, deadlifts, deep squats, and the olympic lifts.

When sitting, try to find a chair that offers lumbar support. Most decent office chairs have this.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Daniel Rzepski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Matteson View Post
The area you identified on top of some of the symptoms you are describing is classic for like a strain of the deep back muscles, possibly as deep as and involving the quadratus lumborum.

Steven's advice is spot on: heat, massage, and rest. Slow and light stretching, especially in the morning, will help loosen the area up which will decrease the chance of further injury. Only apply ice acutely if you re-injure the area over the next 1-2 weeks.

Since most of the muscles in that area are postural muscles, they are constantly firing at a low level, meaning they rarely get any true rest. An injury of this type can plague you for as long as 4-6 weeks, but you should be out of the acute phase in about 2 weeks. After two weeks, gradually (and I mean VERY gradually) increase the weights and intensity of your workouts. Be especially careful of GHD sit-ups, deadlifts, deep squats, and the olympic lifts.

When sitting, try to find a chair that offers lumbar support. Most decent office chairs have this.
thanks a lot for the info, it seems spot on... what type of light stretching do you reccomend? i've been doing general lower back stretches before bed for the past couple of night
Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Rzepski View Post
after talking with my mom (whos a nurse) and with a few other people, it looks like I have a sacroiliac injury, does anyone have any experience with this time of injury? Any stretches, remedies to speed up the recovery process?
Probably not low enough to be SI joint.. it's very close to the SI joint though, but from your posts still seems muscular.

----------

For stretching you can just lean forward and put the back in slight flexion. Should be fine as long as you're not close to herniating any disks.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Daniel Rzepski

Profile:

is that the only stretch i should do or do you reccomend doing more? Right now i do about eight or nine stretches for the lower back, it that too much?