CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
Tom Girouard

Profile:
Re: 11b/ranger school

Understand your differentiation between tab holders and Rangers. As a former 11A and tab holder, I would also throw in that being a Ranger transcends both school and unit and IMO is a state of mind. Common sense, honor, commitment to mission, never quit regardless of circumstances, watch out for your brothers are all characteristics of a Ranger. These traits will successfully carry you through both the military and civilian world. I haven't been on active duty since 1987, but have always and still consider myself a Ranger.

With that said, there are people who have a tab and don't deserve it as well as those who don't have one but live it. Again, state of mind.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
Cole Troxell

Profile:

if you want to go to bat, get RIP in your reenlistment just came back from Afghanistan and thats what they were handing to the guys who support me and my guys but if you just want the tab and wanna go to a regular unit well, goodluck on that bro they go by a merit list and that basically means every officer who failed ranger school and got sent to there unit without the tab well go before you as well as more liked NCOs and "P.T studs".. thats the reality of getting a school slot in regular army in a regular unit
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #23
Carl Cobb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
Ranger: US Army personnel assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Ranger-qualified: US Army personnel who have completed the Ranger Course and are authorized to wear the Ranger Tab.

You can be a Ranger and not be Ranger-qualified, you can be Ranger-qualified and not be a Ranger. The term Ranger denotes assignment to a particular unit; Ranger-qualified the completion of a certain school.

And with the new Ranger Support Companies it would be easier for you to get to 75th Ranger Regiment by staying an 88M.

Good luck.

PS. Why is this in the Fitness Forum?
oh yeah, this is in the fitness forum because i was asking how to get prepared for the school... physically
Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #24
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Cobb View Post
oh yeah, this is in the fitness forum because i was asking how to get prepared for the school... physically
I think you could just do CrossFit. Train for certain events (ruck marching, 5 mile run, APFT, etc) to ensure you meet the physical requirements. You could check out these websites:

www.navyseals.com (WFS, check out there WOD)
www.militaryathlete.com (WFS)
www.brassringfitness.com (WFS)
Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #25
James Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Troxell View Post
thats the reality of getting a school slot in regular army in a regular unit

that's for sure...

The OP would probably have better chance of getting a slot in SFAS than PRC/Ranger School from a regular unit.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #26
Brooks Delperdang

Profile:

From somebody trying to get into the Army, I thank all of you for you service!

Brooks
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #27
Carl Cobb

Profile:

SF is easy to get into, just gotta make it past selection, theyll pretty much take anybody, i know somebody going to selection next month for SF...

but anyways thanks for all the advice
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #28
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
SF is easy to get into, just gotta make it past selection, theyll pretty much take anybody, i know somebody going to selection next month for SF...
Oh, yeah, no prob, man, he's got it easy. All he has to do is pass Selection, Airborne School, then CLT (PLDC/BNCOC), then learn a foreign language to at least a moderate level of proficiency in 4-6 months, then pass a 3 month blitz of Small Unit Tactics, SERE High Risk, and SF Common Skills Training, then pass one of the MOS courses which last between 3 months and a year - if he passes the first time - then go to Robin Sage and prove himself to be a reliable team player, a true professional, and a charismatic leader of foreign soldiers, all without getting kicked out of the course for any reason, then make it past his year-long probation on his first team.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #29
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:

but anyways thanks for all the advice
I would suggest that you drop that type of attitude immediately. "Just gotta make it past Selection."? Yeah, and to be a SEAL I "just" had to make it through BUD/S. Little harder than it sounds and my DOR is testament to that.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #30
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Is that kinda like saying "becoming President is easy, all you have to do is run and get elected"?