CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #41
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:
Re: CrossFit womanliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Sisson View Post
There is NOTHING better than having a man who not only appreciates the deadlift scrapes, the ripped up hands, the bruises, etc.. but thinks they're "hot" not because they look cool but because it's proof you're working hard. It's definitely part of CF culture though. Guys who just lift in the traditional bodybuilding style don't "get" it either. I've had said type tell me to wear gloves, "try not to bruise your legs", etc., etc.... Does your bf workout at all? Maybe if he saw how hard you were working then he'd understand how you got those battle scars and appreciate them more.

Here's what Chuck (my boyfriend) had to say about the issue:

"It's already hard enough to be a performance minded female as is. Everyone and everything in the media and the marketing world wants you to be a frail, pretty, skinny a** twig of a woman....f*** them and f*** anyone that doesn't fully support their partner in doing something extraordinary, something special, something difficult, and something that makes them happy."

Now, does it make you less feminine? Hell no! What's more attractive and feminine than doing what our bodies were MADE to do and having the body that goes with it? Yep, you're going to have some little injuries but I'll take that any day over being weak and incapable with the little Ethiopian arms and legs that accompany that.
Does Chuck have a (single) brother with the same view?? Even a friend will work. LOL.

I like girly things like chick flick movies and shopping (sometimes), but I will never EVER be a petite, celery only, eating girl. Not only is it almost impossible with my genetics and frame, I like muscles way too much! Granted i need to work on mine, but even still.

Thanks for the thread update. Good stuff
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #42
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Still View Post
Well it's all about licking each other's wounds....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wilson View Post
That's kinda romantic, in a CrossFit way.
Yes, nothing like it to bring a couple closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Maisannes View Post
Someone just said to me, "It's pretty sad that so much of your life revolves around lifting." I lift 4-5 times/week. I take pride in my results. I talk with people more knowledgeable than I about where my weakness are and what I can do to mitigate them or make them strengths. I talk with fellow lifters, congratulating them on their PRs and encouraging them when they need a boost on something. Is that really sad?
If you get satisfaction from doing what you do, there's nothing sad about it. I'd much rather choose friends who share my passions, or can at least accept and understand them, than those who don't. If someone can't accept me for what I am and what I do, I don't need them dragging me down. That's why I'm married to my best friend and my ex is my ex.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #43
Bridget Fernandez

Profile:

Thanks for all the great responses!! Its like free relationship counceling

To answer a few questions..My boyfriend does workout, he's a SWAT operator, so he stays in shape, but he's stuck in that stupid mentality that you work your legs and back out one day, then shoulders and bi's one day..blah blah..

He promises me one day he'll come check out my gym, but there's always some excuse as to why he cant make it..I try to explain to him what crossfit has done for me mentally and physically..but he just doesnt get it. I think the post about him having some insecurity issues is right on, He already hates that I work 24 hour shifts with all guys, my closest friends are guys, and its mostly guys at my gym..So that may be an underlying issue. But Im not changing a thing, so I guess he needs to either accept me the way I am, or go find some fragile flower of a girl, cause that aint ever gonna be me

Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #44
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Fernandez View Post
But Im not changing a thing, so I guess he needs to either accept me the way I am, or go find some fragile flower of a girl, cause that aint ever gonna be me

Thanks again!
..........and the woman speaks the truth! Rock on, Bridget!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #45
Stefan Still

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Fernandez View Post
But Im not changing a thing, so I guess he needs to either accept me the way I am, or go find some fragile flower of a
That will last about two seconds. The transistion from tomboy to dainty flower is neither easy nor worth it. I mean seriously, who wants a woman that says "oww!" at the least little bruise.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #46
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

There are still SWAT guys that don't know about CF?

Pull up a few references to Greg Amundson...maybe like will attract like
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #47
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Rug burns and rope burns? Oh my. :blush:
Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #48
Darryl Vanghel

Profile:  

This thread reminded me of a family barbecue that my wife and I were at last summer. My wife Shalon is a carpenter, she does a lot of roofing and siding and as a result is always bruised and beat up (We both started CrossFit a couple of weeks ago!). So we're sitting chatting with Shalon's grandma who keeps looking back and forth at our legs (we were both wearing shorts) and mid setence cuts me off to ask why my legs are prettier than Shalon's. We both got a good laugh out of it and now I know my legs are pretty .
Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #49
Christin Street

Profile:

Great thread, Bridget. Personally I'd re-think this BF. I mean seriously... there are loads and loads of hot, intelligent, funny guys on these boards who would gladly tape your callouses or put butt paste on your...wait, what was that for?
But just for the record, my hubby hates my scarred up shins from missing on box jumps. I say suck it.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #50
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:

Totally digging this thread, especially your last sentence Christin. Too funny!