CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #431
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
I have brown hair and emerald eyes
If you say long walks on the beach and poetry, I'm not gonna to buy you that beer I owe you! (Zone friendly Beer of Course).
Sorry buddy, I havn't told you you're a funny guy recently have I?

Quote:
I'm about 6'3 220, but I look to be about 200. Don't know where that extra 15 lbs. comes in, but I think that I must have a heavy heart.
I thought it was the candidates brass ones getting bigger the further thru the course you get...?

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 06-30-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #432
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

I followed the CFSB programming for about a month, but recently started taking jiu-jitsu and MMA classes. I read the previous post in this thread regarding mixing CFSB with bjj training, but my situation is a little different. I have bjj on Mondays and Wednesdays, and MMA on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The bjj days are much more taxing; we have an intense calisthenics circuit warmup, then learn technique for a little over an hour, then roll for the rest of the two hour session. The MMA days are mostly technique and some sparring, with a little bit of metcon.

My question is, what is the best way to combine CFSB with my bjj/MMA training so that I can continue to gain strength without substantially diminishing my metcon ability? My numbers have gone up in all the lifts, and I would love to keep that going. Also, from a purely aesthetic point of view, I don't want to lose body mass, in fact I would like to gain about ten pounds. I'm currently 6'2" 190lbs. Are these goals combatible? Right now, I am doing the strength lifts in the CFSB programming without the metcons, as I feel that would be too much to recover from during my first week of bjj/mma training.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #433
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Is 80% of 1RM the most effective weight for the high rep sets? I read as much in "Starting Strength," but when I tried 80% the other day I failed at rep 7. Also, how long should we rest before doing the high rep? I rested only about 3 minutes, which may have been the reason I failed.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #434
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Ummm...then you should lower the weight. There is no magic number for this. I thinnk in the program it calls for 15-20 reps the first week, so do a weight that will get you in that area. Then next week do 12-9-6, then 15-12-9, etc. I rest 3" after my ME before doing the high rep, but whatever, it's up to you. Just record and do the same next time.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #435
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Adding in some Power Training...?

Very new to Power Training....wondering weather Power Training alterations can be made to the CF-SB....

GOAL
Improving stamina levels in Push-ups and Pull-ups; I assume that improving Limit Strength AND Speed (i.e. = Power) will have significant cross over to Stamina goals...?

CURRENT PROGRAM
Cycle A (7 wks)
Std CF-SB type program with among others
- Weighted Push-ups (Read Bench Press)
- Weighted Pull-up

Cycle B (7 wks)
Drop the CF-SB Weighted PU + PLU and focus on volume training PU + PLU

SUGGESTED TOOLS
STRENGTH
Non Power Std CF-SB stuff improves muscle fibre recruitment….yes?

VELOCITY
Very light (30% of 1RM) 3 x 20 type sets at Max Speed to improve the Bla Bla short something cycle (Sorry the right term eludes me at the moment. )

POWER
CF-SB, but 5RM and focusing on pushing at Max Speed to tie the Strength and Velocity together.

SUGGESTED CHANGES
CYCLE A
Weeks 1-3 - 1 x CF-SB / 2 x velocity training (M-W-F kind of thing)
Weeks 4-6 - 1 x CF-SB, but 5RM and Power Focus

CYCLE B
Volume Training

Unless I way off here, I'd like to experiment with this idea, but wanted to check in for feedback before I wonder into the black unknown abyss.

Cheers

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 07-03-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #436
Martin Balakas

Profile:

Read "Strong Medicine", and through this entire post. Understand and feel comfortable programming the lifting portion of my workout, but still have some questions regarding appropriate Metcons. Noted this question asked earlier, but not answered. A number of folks have posted examples of their lifting schedules....anyone care to add their Metcon examples for comparison/planning purposes? in advance!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #437
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Martin- many use the "Heavy MetCon" sessions from the sticky in the excrcise thread. Some just do shortened MP WODs. The CrossFit Football WODs also work well.

Check out the logs of the folks who answer questions here and you will get a HUGE pool of MetCons to work from.

Today I did the FS/BS day, then half of the CFB DL/Ring Dip/K2E WOD.

have fun!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #438
S. Kyle Smith

Profile:

quick question that I haven't seen/found answered yet:

on deadlift, I can handle a considerable amount more with a mixed grip than I can using the hook grip. I've also read that the hook is a more "preferred" grip since it translates well into heavier loads on lifts like the clean and snatch. when I start my CFSB cycle, should I use the hook grip and go lighter on the weight to build that up or should I stick with the mixed grip and go for the big weights? or maybe a compromise, use the mixed grip for the ME and use the hook grip on the high rep sets?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #439
Martin Balakas

Profile:

Hey Kyle....not an expert, but did just brush up on DL technique in "Starting Strength"....Rippetoe's stance is to use the double overhand (ie Hook) grip for warm-up, and alternate (ie mixed) when you go heavy. That way you both build grip, and go heavy. I imagine you'll have to determine and experiment where Warm-up ends, and Heavy begins. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #440
Eddie Watts

Profile:

double over hand and hook grip are not the same thing though.

i think?!