CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Nathan Graves

Profile:
Yukon GHD--repairing vinyl cover

I just wanted to put up a short post about the Yukon GHD and how to fix the vinyl pad cover if it breaks or tears off. Ours tore off the day we assembled it and instead of trying to hassle with a replacement we decided to just fix it ourselves.

The problem: The original vinyl pad covering is pretty thin and seemed that the few places where the vinyl was slightly torn/stretched around the staples (maybe during shipping, maybe during the few reps of extension and ghd sit ups we did) were enough to weaken the vinyl so that after one glute ham raise attempt it ripped off like mad. So then the entire pad and vinyl covering was torn away from the flat wooden base that it is normally stapled to.

The fix: Well, it isn't anything particularly clever or fancy but it works. We went to the arts and crafts store and got some thicker vinyl and a staple gun. Instead of cutting and stapling the vinyl to the edges like the manufacturer had done we decided to wrap the vinyl ALL the way around the pad and wooden base and then staple to the bottom of the base. We did staple the edges as well just to keep it in place, but I think the main difference is the additional length of vinyl going around the edges and under the bottom that adds some strength. And the fact that we got a lot thicker vinyl. Not that really thin stuff that came on the original. We did not cut pieces of vinyl and sew them together on the signs to exactly match the original, so the sides kind of have some folding/wrinkling, but it doesn't look too bad, and this doesn't interfere with the function.

I had ordered from Christian's fitness factory and they were very helpful, but we went ahead and repaired this before waiting to hear about any replacement etc. We just wanted to get the GHD functional. They said they will ask Yukon about a discount and seem like really nice people.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Michael Leach

Profile:
Re: Yukon GHD--repairing vinyl cover

Hey, while you had the vinyl cover off, did it seem feasible to make a split pad out of the foam? Or just remove some of it from the center? I'd like to do GHR's on my Yukon GHD, but can't find a way to without smashing the jewels...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I have thought many times about modifying the Yukon for the jewels.

Seems like it would be ez enough, but I've never had the cover off. Although I can see that in the future that vinyl cover will be coming off.

Who's gonna diy first?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Titus Lo

Profile:

My cover ripped too i think like the 2nd time i used it. I duct taped the front where the knees go, and its working fine right now.

I had contacted them to ship me another pad, and they are still on back order since November 2008......

How would one split the pad? Any Ideas? I dont mind trying it out.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Lo View Post
How would one split the pad? Any Ideas? I dont mind trying it out.
I was wondering if you could do something like this...

http://www.theg2scart.com/v/vspfiles/photos/3130-2.jpg
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

Unfortunately the vinyl on the Yukons are one of the biggest complaints we get. To be frank we typically recommend against the Yukons for anything except home use. The big plus on them is the price point. Its hard to compete when you can buy 2 or 3 (sometimes more) of them for the price of one the big boy GHD's. If you are familiar with Harbor Freight tools, it is the same idea. You buy those tools knowing that you will probably be going back and fixing them or buying new ones, but they are priced so good you just have to get them. (I own a lot of good tools and a lot of HF tools).

You did the right thing on recovering it for sure. The more vinyl you have stapled down the better off you will be. I will also check with James and Christian in the morning to see if we had heard anything back from Yukon. If not I will call them and see what is happening.

Noah

Last edited by Noah Alkinburgh : 02-11-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: forgot part of a sentence
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Nathan Graves

Profile:

hi guys
I sent ya'll personal messages, if you can get my response to post, would you mind posting it for me?? I have written the post 3 times and it keeps getting corrupted and totally ruined when i click 'preview' or 'post'.

Last edited by Nathan Graves : 02-11-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: original material as typed is different from that which posts
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

Per Nathan's request here is his msg:
Quote:
Yes! It lookedction, not form. lol. hope that helps

and thanks for checking on that with yukon Noah, I appreciate it. I think its a great piece for home use. heck, we have it in our living room and jump on it all the time and bust out a few reps. You know, maybe it isn't as heavy duty as some of the others but I do think for the price it is a really good value and n allude to.

anyway, the pad under the cover is sort of a styrofoam like material, looks very easy to cut and it seems the material is such that the two remaining pieces would hold their shape well, there are some additional thin polymer looking foam type sheets between the pad and the vinyl but they look like they could be discarded (or you could cut them if you wanted). The pad would not be a problem to alter. If I was gonna do it (and I might) it would be relatively easy to cut out the middle section from the pad with a simple serrated kitchen knife or box cutter, fashion a vinyl cover, staple it down to the wood in the middle--and then also wrap around and staple to the bottom like we did, or staple to the edges like the manufacturer. You could do some sewing and make it really nice.

anyway, the short answer is yes, i think it would be pretty easy to split the pad and staple some vinyl back down. probably won't look as pretty but it would be more functional and hey isn't that what we're all about? function, not form. lol. hope that helps

and thanks for checking on that with yukon Noah, I appreciate it. I think its a great piece for home use. heck, we have it in our living room and jump on it all the time and bust out a few reps. You know, maybe it isn't as heavy duty as some of the others but I do think for the price it is a really good value and now...with the little western style carved faux-leather vinyl, our ghd is like stylish and unique...we love it.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Nathan Graves

Profile:

thanks Noah
I don't know why I couldn't get the post to come out correctly, even the message I sent you seems corrupted and altered form the original.

Hoped that info helped, as jumbled and retarded sounding as it is. Anyone interested can message, I'm happy to help, and sorry I am having technical difficulties.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:

I had the same problem with my GHD, the cover tore off and the staples left a nasty gouge in my leg... I think a new cover is in order. I will try cutting a man-groove in it and post some pictures, should be easy enough. The only other big draw back to this equipment is that the handles are too narrow for many people, I have only a 33 inch waist and barely fit through. I am preparing to cut them off and weld in some extensions. Even with all this hassel I recommend the purchase because they are so cheap!