CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Carla Tremblay
Member Carla Tremblay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 1,725
First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Please critique my front squats... Sorry for all the videos I'm just super excited about getting the video camera to work and learning how upload my videos online!!!

They all look the same to me but my form may be getting worse as I get tired... I went ahead and posted all my work sets to verify this. I only posted my heavier warm-ups but I did 45# x 5, 75# x 5, and 95# x 3 to start.


Warm-up 105#

Warm-up 115#

Work Set 1 120#

Work Set 2 120#

Work Set 3 120#

Work Set 4 120#

Work Set 5 120#

Work Set 6 120#
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Carla, at first glance they look okay. Elbows are nice and high, depth is good, back seems to stay tight. Can't tell from this angle about the foot positioning. The only things I might suggest is to take in more air when you get set (bigger chest) and to send the hips back more at the start.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine
Affiliate Leonid Soubbotine is offline
 
Leonid Soubbotine's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longwood  Fl
Posts: 1,586
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Agree with Lincoln.

Seems like the feet are probably pretty parallel - I'd have them turned out a bit and push the knees out to the sides.
__________________
CrossFit Evolution
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Chris H Laing
Member Chris H Laing is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fairfax Station  VA
Posts: 174
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

I'm jealous of your flexible ankles. Good squats.
__________________
My Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Carla Tremblay
Member Carla Tremblay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 1,725
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Carla, at first glance they look okay. Elbows are nice and high, depth is good, back seems to stay tight. Can't tell from this angle about the foot positioning. The only things I might suggest is to take in more air when you get set (bigger chest) and to send the hips back more at the start.
Lincoln - Thanks for checking out the video! Good suggestion on taking in more air. I just started holding my breath on my squats but taking in a bigger breath will probably help keep me more stabilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Agree with Lincoln.

Seems like the feet are probably pretty parallel - I'd have them turned out a bit and push the knees out to the sides.
Leonid - Thanks for the feedback! My knees tend to want to come in and I have to tell myself to "push them the **** out!!" . Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
I'm jealous of your flexible ankles. Good squats.
Chris - Haha! Thanks! I work hard on my flexibility... Squatting a lot more recently has helped with that a lot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Duke McCall
Member Duke McCall is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington  DC
Posts: 34
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Agree with the above. One minor observation: It looks like you are having to stand on your toes to un-rack and re-rack the bar. If that is the case, you have the bar racked too high. The bar should be at or close to sternum level when you walk up to it, so you have to bend your knees to get under the bar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Carla Tremblay
Member Carla Tremblay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 1,725
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke McCall View Post
Agree with the above. One minor observation: It looks like you are having to stand on your toes to un-rack and re-rack the bar. If that is the case, you have the bar racked too high. The bar should be at or close to sternum level when you walk up to it, so you have to bend your knees to get under the bar.
Duke - Yes, I do have to stand on my toes. I actually just tried what you suggested on Sunday after reading the Squat section again in SS and that is much better. Thank you for your feedback!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Chris Schaalo
Member Chris Schaalo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver  BC
Posts: 11
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Carla,

the first observation I had was that it seems like you tend to start your squat with your kees, and because of this they end up too far over your toes. Try to focus on initiating your squat by pushing your @$$ back towards the rest of that aweful globogym :P
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Carla Tremblay
Member Carla Tremblay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 1,725
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schaalo View Post
Carla,

the first observation I had was that it seems like you tend to start your squat with your kees, and because of this they end up too far over your toes. Try to focus on initiating your squat by pushing your @$$ back towards the rest of that aweful globogym :P
Hey Chris! Thanks for your feedback. Yea, I noticed that when I draw a line from the barbell to my foot, the bar is a bit forward of the center of my foot. I focused on shoving my hips back today. I will try to film this again soon for another check...

I'm about to quit my globo and work out of my garage! Waiting on a squat rack...
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Squat form check Paul Kudela Exercises 2 09-27-2008 06:39 PM
Front Lever article and video Travis Hall Exercises 9 02-29-2008 10:00 PM
Check out Iron Maven video of Women O lifting Jay Cohen Exercises 8 11-25-2007 08:53 AM
Sport Functionality: Front Squat or Back Squat Tim Ulcoq Exercises 3 04-09-2007 01:23 PM
Body weight overhead squat and over 200# front squat Andrew G. Greenberg Testimonials 12 07-25-2006 09:41 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.