CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Carla Tremblay

Profile:
First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Please critique my front squats... Sorry for all the videos I'm just super excited about getting the video camera to work and learning how upload my videos online!!!

They all look the same to me but my form may be getting worse as I get tired... I went ahead and posted all my work sets to verify this. I only posted my heavier warm-ups but I did 45# x 5, 75# x 5, and 95# x 3 to start.

Warm-up 105#

Warm-up 115#

Work Set 1 120#

Work Set 2 120#

Work Set 3 120#

Work Set 4 120#

Work Set 5 120#

Work Set 6 120#
Old 12-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: First Video to Post - Front Squat Check Please!!

Carla, at first glance they look okay. Elbows are nice and high, depth is good, back seems to stay tight. Can't tell from this angle about the foot positioning. The only things I might suggest is to take in more air when you get set (bigger chest) and to send the hips back more at the start.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Agree with Lincoln.

Seems like the feet are probably pretty parallel - I'd have them turned out a bit and push the knees out to the sides.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Chris H Laing

Profile:

I'm jealous of your flexible ankles. Good squats.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Carla, at first glance they look okay. Elbows are nice and high, depth is good, back seems to stay tight. Can't tell from this angle about the foot positioning. The only things I might suggest is to take in more air when you get set (bigger chest) and to send the hips back more at the start.
Lincoln - Thanks for checking out the video! Good suggestion on taking in more air. I just started holding my breath on my squats but taking in a bigger breath will probably help keep me more stabilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Agree with Lincoln.

Seems like the feet are probably pretty parallel - I'd have them turned out a bit and push the knees out to the sides.
Leonid - Thanks for the feedback! My knees tend to want to come in and I have to tell myself to "push them the **** out!!" . Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
I'm jealous of your flexible ankles. Good squats.
Chris - Haha! Thanks! I work hard on my flexibility... Squatting a lot more recently has helped with that a lot.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Duke McCall

Profile:

Agree with the above. One minor observation: It looks like you are having to stand on your toes to un-rack and re-rack the bar. If that is the case, you have the bar racked too high. The bar should be at or close to sternum level when you walk up to it, so you have to bend your knees to get under the bar.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke McCall View Post
Agree with the above. One minor observation: It looks like you are having to stand on your toes to un-rack and re-rack the bar. If that is the case, you have the bar racked too high. The bar should be at or close to sternum level when you walk up to it, so you have to bend your knees to get under the bar.
Duke - Yes, I do have to stand on my toes. I actually just tried what you suggested on Sunday after reading the Squat section again in SS and that is much better. Thank you for your feedback!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Chris Schaalo

Profile:

Carla,

the first observation I had was that it seems like you tend to start your squat with your kees, and because of this they end up too far over your toes. Try to focus on initiating your squat by pushing your @$$ back towards the rest of that aweful globogym :P
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schaalo View Post
Carla,

the first observation I had was that it seems like you tend to start your squat with your kees, and because of this they end up too far over your toes. Try to focus on initiating your squat by pushing your @$$ back towards the rest of that aweful globogym :P
Hey Chris! Thanks for your feedback. Yea, I noticed that when I draw a line from the barbell to my foot, the bar is a bit forward of the center of my foot. I focused on shoving my hips back today. I will try to film this again soon for another check...

I'm about to quit my globo and work out of my garage! Waiting on a squat rack...