CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Jake Terry

Profile:
left glut pain from strength training

Hey, in August I started Rippetoe's strength training. I took his course and like to think my technique is at least decent. After 2 weeks my left glut and left lower back started killing me with intense straining sensation. During workouts it was no problem, but a few hours later and at night I could barely sleep. I think it's between technique flaws and too aggressive progression with weight. I've stopped much of my training in strength and metcons. After about 3 months, the pain went from 8 to about 2-4. I still can't shake it through. Been getting ART (active releast technique) treatments and deep tissue work and both professional agrees that I've strained either my glut med or min and in making compensations, the tissues surrounding my hip (both sides or lower back, tfl, itband, quads, hami,) have tensed up making my condition worse. If you have any input or ideas I would be grateful to hear from you. THANKS!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Carter Jee

Profile:
Re: left glut pain from strength training

hi!!!

you can try a rehab method mentioned by rippetoe on another discussion board. he didn't come up with the method. it does work. i had a minor right hamstring strain a month ago.. I followed this method and I just set a 3rm max for my deadlift (120kgs).

http://www.************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700 (w/f/s)

oh...buy lots of ice packs...

carter
Old 12-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Re: left glut pain from strength training

Doh! Sounds almost exactly like the trouble I am having. Rip thinks I have a short right leg. For me its my right QL and my left hip. Check the tension on your right QL to see if you are contracting it properly in the bottom of the squat. I have noticed that my left QL doesnt "lock" the left side of my hip back like my right QL does.

I imagine squating hurts, but does DLing also hurt? My DL does not hurt but it does feel a bit weak since the pain started.

With triggerpoint massage I can knock out the pain in 2 days if I dont squat. It comes back everytime I squat though so there has to be some kind of form issue there.