CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:
10k run in the Sahara desert in Feb. Hmmm.

It's a charity thing(sort of), and i'm doing it in February. I have no marathon/half-marathon/long distance running experience, and i'm not looking under any circumstances to become a long distance runner(i know 10k is nothing to long distance runners), but anyway i have to do it.

The desert in February will not be excessivley hot, the main problem being adequate nutrition(there won't be any!).

I am not worrying what the best way to train for a marathon would be, just if doing nothing but Crossfit is a seriously bad idea. I read an article at Gym Jones where one guy did something similar but on a MUCH larger scale(Skking and climbing in the Alps i think), and he found the high intensity-short workouts not going above 20 minutes served him quite well.

However, i do not want to fall apart within 20 minutes in the desert, but neither do i want to train for a marathon. Can't have it both ways eh?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: 10k run in the Sahara desert in Feb. Hmmm.

I'm going to be around there in February. Can you give me some information on this event?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Jason Lin

Profile:

Do you just want to finish or do you have a time in mind?

If former, then I would just do CF and not worry about it. Just run the 5k, 10k, 400m when they come up.

If you have a time in mind, then maybe try CF endurance.

Or just start running some. If you can comfortably run 15k by the time Feb comes around, you should be good.

I guess the wild card here is the sahara. What's it like in Feb?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Bob Long

Profile:

As usual, I'm confused. Your title says it's a 10 k? But you're talking about marathon training and nutrition and such? For a 1O k? Even in the desert a 10k is really different from a marathon. ??
Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Kai Hammermeister

Profile:

I would actually do a 4 - 6 mile run every week between now and Feb, plus at least one CFE running workout.

I am a fairly decent runner, but when I did CF exclusively for about 6 moths my running largely fell apart. You will be able to muscle through a 5 k without a problem and even through a 10 k if you keep the pace pretty slow, but why not avoid some of the discomfort by training a little for the race?

Don't worry too much about hydration. People usually don't drink during a 10 k as it takes about 20 min for water you have drunk to have an effect on the body. If you're shooting for something like 40 - 50 minutes of racing time, you can get by without drinking easily, even in hot weather. Just make sure you drink plenty the day before the race and on race day itself.

I have no advice whatsoever how to keep the sand out of your shoes, though.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Paul Richardson

Profile:

I really just do Crossfit now, and whatever running we do for that, I recently did a half marathon (21km) in just under 2hours with no real running specific training.

The only other running I did was a 10km race about 3 months before, and another 10km race about 4 months before that, other than that I didn't run (actually 4 or 5 5kms runs through out the year to be honest).

I'm not saying it was easy, but it's possible to just turn up and give it a shot (the half marathon was really just a Crossfit test for myself ).

Honestly I wouldn't be worried about the running part of the run, I would be worried about sun stroke, dehydration, running with sand in shoes etc.

Will you be running on actually loose sand or hard packed road etc? As if you're running in loose sand then I would really put some effort into training on the beach etc.

Paul
Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Leigh Costain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jones Jr View Post
I
The desert in February will not be excessivley hot, the main problem being adequate nutrition(there won't be any!).

However, i do not want to fall apart within 20 minutes in the desert, but neither do i want to train for a marathon. Can't have it both ways eh?
Um, a 10k is not a marathon and is a very different type of race.

I've tinkered a lot with HIIT vs. LSD (intervals vs. distance training) for these events. I've also noted the effect CF has had on my running fitness since I stopped running in favor of CF only.

I think CF alone can prepare you pretty well for a 5k. A 10k is starting to be a distance where I think you need to log some miles UNLESS you already have a running base (in which case intervals and tempo runs may be ok) which it sounds like you don't.

If you just want to finish, try adding 3 runs per week to your training, 2x 3 miles (5k) and one longer run on the weekend where you work up to a 6 mile distance (3, then 4 then 5, etc.) I don't see any reason to run a 15k in prep unless you want to race it hard.

Also, nutrition is a non issue since this run will take less than an hour. If you show up well fed (from the day before) and well hydrated, you should be fine.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Leigh Costain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Hammermeister View Post

I have no advice whatsoever how to keep the sand out of your shoes, though.
Check out some trail running shoes. Some of them have a liner that fits close to your foot and comes above the rim of the shoe for exactly this purpose.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

It's a 10km!!!!
Just go run until you can comfortably run 10km that's 6.2 miles. Unless you are in really poor shape or have a health problem you don't need food or water to run 6 miles. You may feel better bringing a little water with you that you can drink at say mile 3 or 4.
How long do you think this will take?
If you are worried about falling apart in 20 minutes I would suggest adding some variety to your training...say in the form of ...more than 30 minutes training, more than an hour, twice a week until the race. Do at least the 5k WOD twice in a day at least 3 weeks before the race, that way you'll know.
Don't sweat it , go running a little, do some intervals,bring a little water, run a 10km, enjoy.