CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #41
Peyton Knippel

Profile:

Re: Your weird habits.

Every morning I wake up, as soon as I open my eyes, I get a single sentence from a song stuck in my head and I just keep saying it over and over in my mind. It eventually goes away.

I'm also a leaner or a leg crosser because I've been swimming competitively since I was 4. I will not drink milk after the expiration date, regardless of how fresh it might still taste. I pee on my left foot in the shower almost automatically
Old 12-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #42
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Head View Post
On the twitching thing....slight hijack for a minute:

I get the violent twitch when I am about to fade to sleep. Used to happen in class alot. It gets some fun looks.

Main twitching time is at night before deep sleep and during sleep too. What is it? I'm talking sometimes violent twitches that would and has done some damage to the girlfriend. I have noticed a correlation though. Harder workout periods = more frequent violent jerks and twitches. Easier weeks = less. ??? Any idea?

Hijack over...
I jerk like that when I'm falling asleep at night. I've punched and elbowed my wife a few times. One time I went to bed before her and managed to claw myself on the forehead. I woke up and my forehead hurt, I reached up and I was bleeding like crazy. It was a lot of fun explaining that gash on my forehead. I have to try and fall asleep facing away from the wife so I don't punch her.

I twirl my hair when I'm really concentrating or sleepy. I've done it since I was a baby. My nephew does it, too. He's only 4. I hope he grows out of it.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #43
Stuart Buck

Profile:

Come on, people, twitching when you fall asleep isn't a weird habit. It's a physiological phenomenon known as a "hypnic jerk" or "hypnagogic jerk." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk [wfs]

Think of something weirder!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #44
Stacy Sells

Profile:

I always catch myself trying to not step on cracks (sidewalks or pavement). When I realize it I force myself to stop in order to not look like an idiot taking one little choppy step and then a couple long ones.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #45
Stuart Buck

Profile:

I used to keep an eye out for cracks on the sidewalk, and try to alternate which foot stepped over them, but I guess I grew out of that one.

Interesting how so many people have these OCD-type habits, but not in any debilitating way that anyone else would notice (i.e., not having to stay home all day because you're washing your hands 157 times). And usually no one ever talks about this. I was talking with my best friend from college one time, and he started mentioning that he had some of these same habits, like when he scrapes his tongue on the right side of his teeth, he has to scrape it on the left side to be balanced (I do that too). It was just funny, because with all the countless hours we'd spent hanging out during college, neither one of us had any idea that the other had those quirks.

His theory (and I know it's self-serving) was that intelligent people often find themselves waiting in traffic or walking on the sidewalk with nothing critically important to think about at the moment, and our brains are in such high gear all the time that they will find new ways to invent challenges or to impose order on the situation.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #46
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

I often use a word that doesn't belong in my sentence and don't even realize I've done it until I get a blank stare from the person I'm talking to. An example...yesterday while talking to a coworker, I said "Maybe you should leave your car here and then I'll take you to pick up the phone"....we were talking about picking up a rental car, not a phone! She looked at me like I was two bricks shy of a load!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #47
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse R james View Post
When I eat food...I always eat things in their own little groups. Not sure why, but if there are 5 things on the plate...then I eat each one completely before moving to another. Steak, broccoli, mashed cauliflower, and salad? Each part eaten by itself before moving on to the next. Never noticed until my g/f got onto me about it.

I prefer my diet soda at room temperature, but my beer has to be ice cold.
I either eat food compartmented like that or it must all be in the correct size and proportion on my fork. An example of this is pork and sauerkraut or turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes.

I also like my soda at room temperature. People give me the stink eye when I say no ice, even if the soda is above room temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I flip sandwiches over as I eat them several times, almost every bite.
I do the same thing. It's more of a neatness thing, since it keeps the top and bottom from sliding too far out of alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
When I brush my teeth, sometimes I move my head instead of my arm.
I close my eyes when I brush my teeth. Every once in awhile Stefan will scare the bejeezes out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Benford View Post
When driving my truck under a low clearance, I tend to hunch down as though it is going to affect the overall height of the truck.
I do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
-When i am about to do something evil i stick my tongue out to the side with a very slight twist.
I whistle the same little nonsensical tune. I'll even do it during motorcycle track days when I'm trying to outbrake someone going into a turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Head View Post
4. Towel off a certain way after the shower.
Yep, I have the same ritual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Buck View Post
I hate it when stairs are in odd numbers (like 11 steps), because it's not an even number on each foot.
I always take the first step with my left foot, even if it's only one step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ponte View Post
I jerk awake like that too. When I'm falling asleep but I'm not quite all the way into it I twitch bigtime. Not all the time, but pretty often.
I had one of these almost cause me to eat **** right in the middle of a class last week. I juuuust barely was starting to do the head bob when I got an enormous jerk and almost slammed myself right out of my chair.

Some other ones... When I wore contact lenses, I would always have to open my mouth when putting them in or taking them out. When applying makeup, I always do the right side of my face before my left with each type of application. The silverware has to be nested properly. When given flatware or even plasticware at a restaurant, I still put the utensils in the proper places. I'm a fanatic about grammar, in both spoken and written word. When getting off a motorcycle on the sidestand I get off the normal way. When getting off a motorcycle on a rearstand, I get off on the wrong side, swinging my left leg up and over the tank.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #48
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Buck View Post
Come on, people, twitching when you fall asleep isn't a weird habit. It's a physiological phenomenon known as a "hypnic jerk" or "hypnagogic jerk." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk [wfs]

Think of something weirder!
Wow, thanks for that information. I've always wondered what that was and knew I couldn't possibly be the only person in the world to get it.

I've noticed that the only times I get it are when I am totally wiped out, either after a really long run or a ME session that really destroys me like 5x5 deadlifts. I think it's generally a bad thing.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #49
David Knutzen

Profile:

I've got a few.

Morning rituals are pretty hardcore for me. I have to wash everything in a certain order in the shower, have to shave a certain way (right side ear->chin, left side ear->chin, middle, then upper lip), have to towel off a certain way (head down, left to right). I get really confused if for some reason it doesn't go down that way, until I correct the problem.

I count walls and window panes. And cracks. Basically, I count any type of division in some object. I also try to step on cracks such that my foot touches as many different "sections" of the sidewalk/floor as possible. I click my teeth together in the direction of the wall I'm counting, going in a circle, to make sure I count them all.

I drum out musical notes with my fingers, and sing the tune in my head. It sounds awesome to me, but probably crazy to everyone else who just gets *taptaptap tap tap taptap* all day long. I used to tap out music on my girlfriend's leg.

I'm definitely a leaner. I only did a little swimming over all, but one leg is way longer than the other, so leaning is only natural.

God, I sound like a complete head case.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #50
Patrick Janes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Poquette View Post
If I see numbers, I often try to make out some crazy formula for some of them to equal another one...it's hard to explain:

If the time is 12:43:

4 + 3 = 7. 2 x 3 + 1 = 7.

I'm freakin' weird.
wow... that's cool. my 12yo son, lachie does that; he's kinda obsessed with numbers.