CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #31
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Re: Your weird habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Shamloo View Post
I like how logically you execute your OCD'ness.

Whenever I start to fall asleep in class for some reason I will violently jerk myself up and awake, It scares people and I have no clue why it happens.

Whenever walking with someone side by side I always try to make sure we switch sides at least once.
I jerk awake like that too. When I'm falling asleep but I'm not quite all the way into it I twitch bigtime. Not all the time, but pretty often.

I also do that whole one side needs to feel the same as the other thing. Specifically with my fingernails. The skin creeping up around my nails irritates me so I have to push it back near the tops and if I do it to one hand I have to do it to the other. So wierd..... I know.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #32
Lee Austin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Clark View Post
I count a lot too. Mainly my steps when I'm walking. In a WOD or doing something for time I'm always mentally breaking the time or reps down into percentages.

Counting really calms me down.
I count a lot when I'm trying to kill time. I started the counting habit when I erged a lot during college crew and would count strokes until done. It got to be such a habit, I now count when filling up my water bottle, waiting at red lights (I'm also usually mentally timing the signals, I'm a traffic engineer), rowing a long piece, during races, etc. But because I always counted strokes during erg tests (extremely stressful), I can feel my heart rate rise whenever I start counting 'cause I associate counting with painful erging.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #33
Benjamin Smith

Profile:

"sometimes when i go to the bathroom i use the water as a mirror to see whats going on back there."

me too

My best weird quirk was already taken - I have to do things symmetrically. I split gum in half and chew it evenly on both sides of my mouth, etc. When eating a bag of Skittles or M&Ms, I separate them by color, then eat them by twos in order from my least favorite to most favorite. If I have an odd number for one color, I have to do some very sophisticated math to figure out which other color to eat with the loner. And if I wind up with an odd number overall, yes, I will bite the lone candy in half so that both side of my mouth get some. This must be done early in the process, so that I can finish strong with candy pairs.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #34
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

[quote=Benjamin Smith;468128]"sometimes when i go to the bathroom i use the water as a mirror to see whats going on back there."

me too

Glad to hear that I am not alone. Seriously glad...I really thought i was the only one.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #35
Lauren Hall

Profile:

During a particularly trying workout today, I caught myself blowing on my shoulder to "cool" it off. WTF?

I can't sit with my back to the door.

I have to read something, even just a page, before I fall asleep.

If someone follows me into a bathroom, I have to get into the stall before I see them. It's like a weird fight or flight response. Same thing with stairwells and elevators (until they get on.... obviously, I don't fight them then. So really, it's more of a flight response I guess.)

I also apparently have a drunk "confident" walk that my friends get a lot of mileage out of.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #36
Dustin Berry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Buck View Post
I hate it when stairs are in odd numbers (like 11 steps), because it's not an even number on each foot.

Also, I like to go up stairs by twos, and if there are an odd number of twos (such as if there are 10 steps, 5 sets of two), that used to bother me too, because I'd have to count the whole way and then sometimes stop two steps from the top and take the last two individually.

Then I figured out that I'd always do better to take the first step by itself, then go up the rest of the stairs in twos, and then take the last step by itself. That always works if there are an even number of steps. Thus, if there are 10 steps (5 sets of two), the first step is with the left leg; then there are four pairs (even split between left and right leg) and the last step is on the right leg --- it all evens out. If there are 12 steps (6 sets of two), the first step is with the left leg, then there are 5 pairs (right, left, right, left, right), and then the last step is with the left leg, so that evens out as well.
Thanks, now I'm going to have an issue with stairs too.

Maybe the random programing of CrossFit is a subconcious release for a bunch of OCD freaks. No wonder people stare at us, we are a pretty wierd group.

Last edited by Dustin Berry : 12-11-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #37
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Brush my teeth left handed even though I'm a righty.

Constantly doing fractions as I workout. I break down the particular exercise and the workout. Mentally it helps me a lot.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #38
Brandon Head

Profile:

On the twitching thing....slight hijack for a minute:

I get the violent twitch when I am about to fade to sleep. Used to happen in class alot. It gets some fun looks.

Main twitching time is at night before deep sleep and during sleep too. What is it? I'm talking sometimes violent twitches that would and has done some damage to the girlfriend. I have noticed a correlation though. Harder workout periods = more frequent violent jerks and twitches. Easier weeks = less. ??? Any idea?

Hijack over...
Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #39
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Head View Post
On the twitching thing....slight hijack for a minute:

I get the violent twitch when I am about to fade to sleep. Used to happen in class alot. It gets some fun looks.

Main twitching time is at night before deep sleep and during sleep too. What is it? I'm talking sometimes violent twitches that would and has done some damage to the girlfriend. I have noticed a correlation though. Harder workout periods = more frequent violent jerks and twitches. Easier weeks = less. ??? Any idea?

Hijack over...
Ah yours is slightly different from mine, whenever I intend to sleep (in a bed or a nap on the couch etc.) I never twitch up like that. But in situations where I do not intend to sleep it happens frequently, and violently.

My most embarrassing moment due to this happened a couple of years ago in class. I had just crossed the consciousness threshold and began sleeping face down on my desk. My mouth was cracked ajar and I began drooling profusely. Trigger my twitch, I jerked up and a huge stream of drool flung right onto the head of the girl sitting next to me. I looked at her said "Well there is no way this isn't going to be awkward, I'll just get some paper towels."
Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #40
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Shamloo View Post
Ah yours is slightly different from mine, whenever I intend to sleep (in a bed or a nap on the couch etc.) I never twitch up like that. But in situations where I do not intend to sleep it happens frequently, and violently.

My most embarrassing moment due to this happened a couple of years ago in class. I had just crossed the consciousness threshold and began sleeping face down on my desk. My mouth was cracked ajar and I began drooling profusely. Trigger my twitch, I jerked up and a huge stream of drool flung right onto the head of the girl sitting next to me. I looked at her said "Well there is no way this isn't going to be awkward, I'll just get some paper towels."

Haha. Yeah I get this too. If I just start to drift off on a plane ride or something I will jerk awake and scare the crap out of the person/people sitting next to me. I've thought about playing this stuff off to scare people. When i wake up say something like "the voices just don't go away!"