CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #21
Stephen Smith

Profile:
Re: Your weird habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
OK, I didn't mention this one 'cause I already have talked about my OCD and was afraid people would think I was weird if I banged on about it.

I do the same thing, only I group things in even numbers. Text on signs, objects in a room, doesn't matter. If I have nothing else to occupy my time I'll start counting up stuff in the world around me and seeing if it comes out even.

And yes, if it doesn't, I start adding stuff (like counting patches of different colors on a sign background, or borderlines), until it comes out right.

I used to do this ALL the time, couldn't help it, but now I only do it if I'm really bored, like in a doctor's waiting room with a bunch of three month old Better Homes & Gardens and daytime telly on closed-caption. I guess I'm doing enough other stuff with my time that this compulsion sort of eased off...

Cheers,
FD
Heh, I'm always doing some sort of math in my head... figuring out ratios between groups of things, figuring out least common denominators, factoring out large numbers... It doesn't really matter what it is, my mind just doesn't like to be unoccupied.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #22
Matthew Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Are you, or have you ever been, a competitive swimmer? A friend once told me that she could tell I was a swimmer, due to the way I stand (either legs crossed, or weight on one leg while the other stretches out to the side and trips people who don't expect my body parts to be extending that far into their space).
Hmmm, odd correlation, but seems pretty accurate. I definitely do the weight on one leg one all the time. I used to swim, takes up too much time now/is too boring.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #23
Dustin Berry

Profile:

Mine isn't as much counting as the others, although I do that some. My thing is more of everything having to be even and symmetrical, ESPECIALLY with my body. If I'm walking down the street and step on a rock or crack with my left foot I have to do the same with my right. Scratching is really bad. If one arm itches, I have to scratch them both evenly. My wife uses this against me and pokes me on one side then tries to keep me from poking myself in the same spot on the other side. It drives me nuts!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #24
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Berry View Post
Mine isn't as much counting as the others, although I do that some. My thing is more of everything having to be even and symmetrical, ESPECIALLY with my body. If I'm walking down the street and step on a rock or crack with my left foot I have to do the same with my right. Scratching is really bad. If one arm itches, I have to scratch them both evenly. My wife uses this against me and pokes me on one side then tries to keep me from poking myself in the same spot on the other side. It drives me nuts!
That's just evil!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #25
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Benford View Post
When driving my truck under a low clearance, I tend to hunch down as though it is going to affect the overall height of the truck.

Come to think of it, I so hunch down too, I just hate parking garages.

I grimace, and so does my sister and now her husband does it too. "rents stressed us out I guess. She is much younger and we were not together at home for very long so no idea why we both do it. We look like complete freaks. When I used to go there and see sister and hubby both doing it I would think geeze they look so stupid I just have to quit that.
I will be doing it driving down the road and people in oncoming traffic will smile and waive thinking I am smiling. I am SO NOT SMILING so that makes it even more ironic. How on earth could someone mistake that freakish - face - think the "Joker" for a smile?

Bad habit I wish I could break. Maybe duct tape my laugh lines flat would keep me from doing it...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #26
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

-When i get nervous i tend to drink a lot of water, I use it as a barrier between myself and whatever is making me nervous. It makes me use the restroom a lot.

-When i am about to do something evil i stick my tongue out to the side with a very slight twist.

_ sometimes when i go to the bathroom i use the water as a mirror to see whats going on back there.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #27
Brandon Head

Profile:

Where to start...
1. Standing with weight on one foot or the other...leaner as well.

2. When I am reading something exceedingly long on a computer screen I will pick at my lips or chew at the hair on my left knuckles (weirdest one I think)

3. Stick my tongue out of the side of my mouth when I do something overly exerting or requires extreme focus.

4. Towel off a certain way after the shower.

5. Do laundry a certain way (fill the damn water to the top first with soap!)

The last 2 are more OCD than anything, but i will think of some more later I'm sure.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
Stuart Buck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Benford View Post
When driving my truck under a low clearance, I tend to hunch down as though it is going to affect the overall height of the truck.
That makes sense, though: If you knock the top off your truck, then at least your head will be safe.

I hate it when stairs are in odd numbers (like 11 steps), because it's not an even number on each foot.

Also, I like to go up stairs by twos, and if there are an odd number of twos (such as if there are 10 steps, 5 sets of two), that used to bother me too, because I'd have to count the whole way and then sometimes stop two steps from the top and take the last two individually.

Then I figured out that I'd always do better to take the first step by itself, then go up the rest of the stairs in twos, and then take the last step by itself. That always works if there are an even number of steps. Thus, if there are 10 steps (5 sets of two), the first step is with the left leg; then there are four pairs (even split between left and right leg) and the last step is on the right leg --- it all evens out. If there are 12 steps (6 sets of two), the first step is with the left leg, then there are 5 pairs (right, left, right, left, right), and then the last step is with the left leg, so that evens out as well.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #29
Andy Poquette

Profile:

Whenever I'm about to get out of the shower, I have to count down from 10. It's 10-1 then out.

If I see numbers, I often try to make out some crazy formula for some of them to equal another one...it's hard to explain:

If the time is 12:43:

4 + 3 = 7. 2 x 3 + 1 = 7.

I'm freakin' weird.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #30
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Buck View Post

Then I figured out that I'd always do better to take the first step by itself, then go up the rest of the stairs in twos, and then take the last step by itself. That always works if there are an even number of steps. Thus, if there are 10 steps (5 sets of two), the first step is with the left leg; then there are four pairs (even split between left and right leg) and the last step is on the right leg --- it all evens out. If there are 12 steps (6 sets of two), the first step is with the left leg, then there are 5 pairs (right, left, right, left, right), and then the last step is with the left leg, so that evens out as well.
I like how logically you execute your OCD'ness.

Whenever I start to fall asleep in class for some reason I will violently jerk myself up and awake, It scares people and I have no clue why it happens.

Whenever walking with someone side by side I always try to make sure we switch sides at least once.