CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #1
Christin Street

Profile:
"Attention Women: Avoid these Exercises"- Article in the Tribune and the AJC

I thought I was in a time capsule traveling back to the sixties when I read this article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution this week. It originated in the Chicago Tribune and specifies that women avoid these exercises:sit-ups, push-ups, weighted squats, shoulder press and deadlift. Says they will build too much bulk and cause back, neck and shoulder pain.

Letters to the editor of the Tribune and AJC are strongly encouraged.
All links are wfs. The last link is to the fitness competitor, Kristal Richardson, who was quoted in the article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...6369927.column

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/pr...exercises.html

http://www.thestate.com/health/v-pri...ry/594040.html

http://webcast.bodybuilding.com/fits...08oseries4.htm

Old 11-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: "Attention Women: Avoid these Exercises"- Article in the Tribune and the AJC

That's just fracking bizarre.

I love the pseudo-sciency terms like "weightlifters shoulder" and "loose joints".

Reminds me of all the retarded squat tutorials on youtube.

So great that there's more and more people who know and share that knowledge. We're all on the right track!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Re: "Attention Women: Avoid these Exercises"- Article in the Tribune and the AJC

I think the author has just admitted she doesn't know how to coach these exercises.

This article was like a throw-back to the female fitness salons of the 50s or something, sheesh.

howard
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Well.....Ms. Richardson might not be right about the exercises women should avoid, but one can't deny that her program is helping her meet her goals.

In the video of her workout, she clearly talks about how she used to do heavy work for low reps. Meaning, of course, that she had probably been doing the exercises she now advises other women to avoid. What's not being said is that, in her quest to not be 'skinny,' she created the bulk that now allows her to tone and develop. Without the heavy sets, she wouldn't have had the muscle mass to make the high set, high rep workouts work for her.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Duke McCall

Profile:

Well spotted, Christin. The article truly is rubbish, and it is amazing that so many (formerly) reputable newspapers would publish it. I guess we need to ramp up efforts to educate the public at large.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Hey all, I just sent an e-mail to the journalist responsible for repeating this tripe. It was off the top of my head, so feel free to add to it or whatever. I might also send along a letter to the editor. Here's the e-mail:

Ms. Deardoff,
I was incredibly disappointed by your article from the other day that advised against women doing movements like weighted squats, sit-ups, shoulder press, and deadlifts. Writing an article like this, that focuses on aesthetics rather than true fitness, does a disservice to readers and makes your own fitness credentials suspect. I have been doing squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, and sit-ups for years with no adverse side-effects and certainly no added "bulk".
Your "expert" trains with the sole intention of achieving a certain aesthetic goal, rather than with real fitness in mind. If you would like examples of women who do weighted squats (with weights equaling or exceeding their body weight), push-ups, pull-ups, and all the other "bad" moves, while maintaining lean bodies and incredible strength take a look at crossfit.com.
Next time, please do not print the advice of questionable experts with little background in physiology whose main concern is how well she looks in a tank top. Women need to be encouraged to push themselves and get comfortable with strength training, especially since strength moves like the above are incredibly important for warding off typically female disorders like osteoporosis. Please consider writing a follow-up article that corrects the serious misinformation contained in this one.
Best,
Lauren Hall
Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Scot Brown

Profile:

Well, before we discard the article out of hand, I think it's important to take a step back.
Yes most of the article is trash. Advising people against doing squats and deadlifts, two of the most natural movements in the human body, is wrong. Advising people against doing pushups because they're hard to do is silly.
But most crossfitters would agree that situps are pretty limited in usefulness as a core exercise (but bicycle crunches aren't much better). And behind the neck presses really don't have much use (see Starting Strength 2nd ed. page 249). So they've got mostly SB in there and some truth. Well, they're 2 for 10, par for the course for most mainstream fitness publications.
But I agree that the real problem is the completely sexist way they've structured the article. Any of these exercises are not "good" or "bad" for women or men, they're good or bad for people. Plus, why in the world are women so scared of bulking up, if it was that easy the world would be full of freakishly jacked guys, including this chronically skinny guy /rant off. Seriously.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Christin Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pasewicz View Post
What's not being said is that, in her quest to not be 'skinny,' she created the bulk that now allows her to tone and develop. Without the heavy sets, she wouldn't have had the muscle mass to make the high set, high rep workouts work for her.
Good point. Something else that was pointed out to me...Ms. Richardson is competes in IFBB events which do not test. Not implying that she's using, but I'm just saying...

GREAT LETTER LAUREN! I wrote one as well.

On a funny note, I thought the article should have included these photos...
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/olddieting-thumb.jpg
http://www.ib3health.com/products/Bo...arionpic_1.jpg
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Riley Durant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Brown View Post
Well, before we discard the article out of hand, I think it's important to take a step back.
Yes most of the article is trash. Advising people against doing squats and deadlifts, two of the most natural movements in the human body, is wrong. Advising people against doing pushups because they're hard to do is silly.
But most crossfitters would agree that situps are pretty limited in usefulness as a core exercise (but bicycle crunches aren't much better). And behind the neck presses really don't have much use (see Starting Strength 2nd ed. page 249). So they've got mostly SB in there and some truth. Well, they're 2 for 10, par for the course for most mainstream fitness publications.
But I agree that the real problem is the completely sexist way they've structured the article. Any of these exercises are not "good" or "bad" for women or men, they're good or bad for people. Plus, why in the world are women so scared of bulking up, if it was that easy the world would be full of freakishly jacked guys, including this chronically skinny guy /rant off. Seriously.
I'll agree with Scot that most of the article is rubbish, but he did point out a couple of good points in my opinion. The only other thing I would point out is that if you read her definition of "standing dead lifts" strictly, it sounds to me that she's really describing "straight leg deadlifts" (not sure what else to call them). The way she describes it I picture someone just bending over, not bending the knees, and jerking up the weight. Given the number of people reading this article that have probably never seen the inside of a gym or worked out regularly, this is actually pretty sound advice to them to help them avoid injury. Again, not trying to support her or defend the article, just saying that there are a few small grains of information in there, unfortunately the rest of the article will probably discourage a large number of women from trying these exercises they could desperately use.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Scot Brown

Profile:

That's a good point Riley, but since she makes no effort to describe what she believes is a "standing dead lift" (is there any type of dead lift that isn't standing?) we are left to just wonder. The term you're thinking of is "stiff-legged deadlifts," and she could in fact be referring to them. In which case I would agree, they're not something to be trained without proper coaching.