CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Clean to Jerk Problem

Hey guys ive been trying to work on cleans and still haven't totally got it down, but im trying. Anyway my main problem right now is having to do with going from a clean to a jerk. Ill try to explain this as best i can. If this doesn't work i may have to make a video and post a few pics. Ok so i do the clean and receive it in the squat position with the bar landing across the front of my shoulders/chest, upper colar bone area i dont what you call it but i know its the right place, so the weight is not caught in my wrists, now here is the problem, every time i do it my pinkies come off the bar and i am not able to roll them back under the bar, ether by rolling the bar up or trying to pull my pinky back down, just wont work, i even practice with a PVC pipe and still do it, its just naturally for some reason that's how i catch it. This however makes it impossible to go from a clean to a jerk, and that's the problem, if the pinkies come off i can still clean, but i cant jerk with the pinkies on both of my hands poking off the bar with the weight between them. A friend of my suggested i tape the pinkies to my ring finger, but i was trying to get a second opinion. Thanks again, im sure this made no since at all lol
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: Clean to Jerk Problem

In competition you can't do this, but in practice just dip your legs a bit to pop the bar off the chest and regrip. Ideally you want to be able to bounce the bar off your chest as you come out of the squat. Those last few inches need to be aggressive for you to get a good pop off the chest.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Yoon Sohn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
...if the pinkies come off i can still clean, but i cant jerk with the pinkies on both of my hands poking off the bar with the weight between them...
Practice doing a 'pop' and regrip at the top of the clean. This should set you up in a better position for the jerk.

Edit: Whoops, Brian beat me to it.

Last edited by Yoon Sohn : 11-14-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Timing
Old 11-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Brian, good advice, except that it IS allowed in competition, actually its quite common. It just has to be obvious to the judges that it is a re-adjustment of the hands, and not a failed dip and drive for the jerk.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Oh my bad. I guess i misinterpreted that section in the rule book. I thought they meant any kind of dip.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

It saves more energy to pop it up straight from the front squat, though.

Just a quick check, are you pulling yourself aggressively under the bar or are you just pulling the bar high and then just slowly dropping under it? When your hands do lose connection to the bar, your elbows should be flipping around fast.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #7

Profile:

Just to expand on what Glenn said, you can pretty much do anything you want as long as 1) you're obviously not making an attempt to jerk and 2) the bar isn't moved from where it was originally racked during the clean (e.g. if it's received on the upper chest, you can't push it up onto the shoulders).

This would be a perfectly legal CJ in a meet, for example - http://www.cathletics.com/wod/video/...sCleanJerk.mov (wfs)

Last edited by Greg Everett : 11-15-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
the bar isn't moved from where it was originally racked during the clean (e.g. if it's received on the upper chest, you can push it up onto the shoulders).
Just so nobody gets confused, I believe Greg means you can NOT push it up onto the shoulders.