CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Sean Dunston

Profile:
BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

Folks... it is now official!

Quote:
UFC® lightweight champion BJ Penn looks to be the first fighter in history to hold two UFC championships at the same time when he faces Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight championship at UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, January 31, 2009.
wfs - but it is a "fight" site

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15765
Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

GSP takes this by ground and pound.....But it should be one of the greatest fights ever...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Eric Helms

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
GSP takes this by ground and pound.....But it should be one of the greatest fights ever...
I agree.

I don't understand the billing of Lesnar vs. Couture as the greatest fight though.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

sweeeeeeet, although I was hoping for Silva vs GSP one of these days at welterweight or middle weight. That would be my ultimate match-up, but B.J. vs GSP is still awesome and probably the most exciting fight of the year IMHO.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I really like both of these fighters, maybe BJ a little more than GSP, but GSP has definitely earned my respect over the past 3 or so fights of his.

This is going to be a great fight to watch. It does not matter if who connects with strikes, I will be both "cheering" for the puncher and "Owwing" for the recipient.

The only thing I can hope for is a fight that goes all 5 rounds (well - maybe a KO or submission late in the 5th ) with both fighters giving it their all.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Markian Haluszka

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scheiner View Post
sweeeeeeet, although I was hoping for Silva vs GSP one of these days at welterweight or middle weight. That would be my ultimate match-up, but B.J. vs GSP is still awesome and probably the most exciting fight of the year IMHO.
Dana White has apparently stated that this will occur conditionally: GSP must successfully defend his title against BJ first. It would have to be fought at a catchweight, but with both of them being elite athletes I don't see that becoming an issue. As for GSP vs. BJ, I've been looking forward to this rematch since the decision of their first fight. As much as I respect BJ, GSP is my favorite fighter and one of my idols so I've gotta support my fellow Canadian! I see him controlling the pace and level of the fight; using his superior wrestling to dominate the ground but not being able to submit BJ given his jiu-jitsu pedigree; scoring well in their striking exchanges; and, finally, winning by unanimous decision.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:

If GSP wins which I think he will, Silva vs. GSP is rumored to happen at UFC 100.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Celio Silva

Profile:

After watching BJ BBing I gotta go with The Rush by supreme conditioning...

I hope I am wrong and BJ shows up prepared to go 5 rounds with GSP (whether it goes that far or not). It would then be one of the greatest fight in the history of the sport for sure.

When you look at BJs' skills, GSP skills, their athleticism, the momentun they both have going into this fight, their thirst to finish their unfinished business from their first encounter, and the opportunity for either to rise over the other and to the top of the world, it got the ingredients for fight of the century...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Dean Jones

Profile:

Quote:
I have said that a few times myself... I'd love to see Silva and GSP fight. *That* would be the best fight ever...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markian Haluszka View Post
Dana White has apparently stated that this will occur conditionally: GSP must successfully defend his title against BJ first. It would have to be fought at a catchweight, but with both of them being elite athletes I don't see that becoming an issue. As for GSP vs. BJ, I've been looking forward to this rematch since the decision of their first fight. As much as I respect BJ, GSP is my favorite fighter and one of my idols so I've gotta support my fellow Canadian! I see him controlling the pace and level of the fight; using his superior wrestling to dominate the ground but not being able to submit BJ given his jiu-jitsu pedigree; scoring well in their striking exchanges; and, finally, winning by unanimous decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Haugland View Post
If GSP wins which I think he will, Silva vs. GSP is rumored to happen at UFC 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jones View Post
I have said that a few times myself... I'd love to see Silva and GSP fight. *That* would be the best fight ever...
Alright I am officially rooting for GSP now that I know this. No offense BJ, I like you too, but Silva vs GSP= EPIC!