CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

Folks... it is now official!

Quote:
UFC® lightweight champion BJ Penn looks to be the first fighter in history to hold two UFC championships at the same time when he faces Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight championship at UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, January 31, 2009.
wfs - but it is a "fight" site

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15765
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Jeffrey Crawford
Member Jeffrey Crawford is offline
 
Jeffrey Crawford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne  FL
Posts: 685
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

GSP takes this by ground and pound.....But it should be one of the greatest fights ever...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Eric Helms
Member Eric Helms is offline
 
Eric Helms's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Simpsonville  SC
Posts: 161
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
GSP takes this by ground and pound.....But it should be one of the greatest fights ever...
I agree.

I don't understand the billing of Lesnar vs. Couture as the greatest fight though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Adam Scheiner
Member Adam Scheiner is offline
 
Adam Scheiner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 1,091
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

sweeeeeeet, although I was hoping for Silva vs GSP one of these days at welterweight or middle weight. That would be my ultimate match-up, but B.J. vs GSP is still awesome and probably the most exciting fight of the year IMHO.
__________________
my log
My affiliate
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

I really like both of these fighters, maybe BJ a little more than GSP, but GSP has definitely earned my respect over the past 3 or so fights of his.

This is going to be a great fight to watch. It does not matter if who connects with strikes, I will be both "cheering" for the puncher and "Owwing" for the recipient.

The only thing I can hope for is a fight that goes all 5 rounds (well - maybe a KO or submission late in the 5th ) with both fighters giving it their all.

__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Markian Haluszka
Member Markian Haluszka is offline
 
Markian Haluszka's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waterloo  ON
Posts: 42
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scheiner View Post
sweeeeeeet, although I was hoping for Silva vs GSP one of these days at welterweight or middle weight. That would be my ultimate match-up, but B.J. vs GSP is still awesome and probably the most exciting fight of the year IMHO.
Dana White has apparently stated that this will occur conditionally: GSP must successfully defend his title against BJ first. It would have to be fought at a catchweight, but with both of them being elite athletes I don't see that becoming an issue. As for GSP vs. BJ, I've been looking forward to this rematch since the decision of their first fight. As much as I respect BJ, GSP is my favorite fighter and one of my idols so I've gotta support my fellow Canadian! I see him controlling the pace and level of the fight; using his superior wrestling to dominate the ground but not being able to submit BJ given his jiu-jitsu pedigree; scoring well in their striking exchanges; and, finally, winning by unanimous decision.
__________________
"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, but by living well and living fully - for the reaper will come for all of us." - Randy Pausch
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Jeff Haugland
Member Jeff Haugland is offline
 
Jeff Haugland's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado Springs  CO
Posts: 101
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scheiner View Post
sweeeeeeet, although I was hoping for Silva vs GSP one of these days at welterweight or middle weight. That would be my ultimate match-up, but B.J. vs GSP is still awesome and probably the most exciting fight of the year IMHO.

If GSP wins which I think he will, Silva vs. GSP is rumored to happen at UFC 100.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Celio Silva
Member Celio Silva is offline
 
Celio Silva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 627
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

After watching BJ BBing I gotta go with The Rush by supreme conditioning...

I hope I am wrong and BJ shows up prepared to go 5 rounds with GSP (whether it goes that far or not). It would then be one of the greatest fight in the history of the sport for sure.

When you look at BJs' skills, GSP skills, their athleticism, the momentun they both have going into this fight, their thirst to finish their unfinished business from their first encounter, and the opportunity for either to rise over the other and to the top of the world, it got the ingredients for fight of the century...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Dean Jones
Member Dean Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 43
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Scheiner View Post
sweeeeeeet, although I was hoping for Silva vs GSP one of these days at welterweight or middle weight. That would be my ultimate match-up, but B.J. vs GSP is still awesome and probably the most exciting fight of the year IMHO.
I have said that a few times myself... I'd love to see Silva and GSP fight. *That* would be the best fight ever...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
Adam Scheiner
Member Adam Scheiner is offline
 
Adam Scheiner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 1,091
Re: BJ Penn vs. GSP - UFC 94!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markian Haluszka View Post
Dana White has apparently stated that this will occur conditionally: GSP must successfully defend his title against BJ first. It would have to be fought at a catchweight, but with both of them being elite athletes I don't see that becoming an issue. As for GSP vs. BJ, I've been looking forward to this rematch since the decision of their first fight. As much as I respect BJ, GSP is my favorite fighter and one of my idols so I've gotta support my fellow Canadian! I see him controlling the pace and level of the fight; using his superior wrestling to dominate the ground but not being able to submit BJ given his jiu-jitsu pedigree; scoring well in their striking exchanges; and, finally, winning by unanimous decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Haugland View Post
If GSP wins which I think he will, Silva vs. GSP is rumored to happen at UFC 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jones View Post
I have said that a few times myself... I'd love to see Silva and GSP fight. *That* would be the best fight ever...
Alright I am officially rooting for GSP now that I know this. No offense BJ, I like you too, but Silva vs GSP= EPIC!
__________________
my log
My affiliate
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GSP NoVA seminar - 15 June 2008 Gabe Mendoza CrossPit 4 06-03-2008 08:50 AM
GSP vs SERRA Steve Sheffar CrossPit 18 04-21-2008 09:48 AM
GSP VS Hughes 3 Anthony Bainbridge CrossPit 11 12-29-2006 10:23 AM
UFC 65 Holy COW New Welterweight Champ! GSP! Joey McIninch CrossPit 15 12-04-2006 09:57 PM
Hughes vs. Penn II Jim Aldridge CrossPit 51 09-29-2006 05:38 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.