CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Kirk Bishopp

Profile:
Question CrossFit Total

I had a question about this workout. Are you basically Maxing out 1 rep for each excersize? Any warmup for each one first, or straight to the MAX? If you don't know your MAX, should you just keep adding till failure of one rep?

Also, for the shoulder press, is it alright to use the seated shoulder press rack, or do you have to do this standing?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Bishopp View Post
I had a question about this workout. Are you basically Maxing out 1 rep for each excersize? Any warmup for each one first, or straight to the MAX? If you don't know your MAX, should you just keep adding till failure of one rep?

Also, for the shoulder press, is it alright to use the seated shoulder press rack, or do you have to do this standing?
Yes, you are basically going for your 1RM.

You MUST absolutely warm up for each exercise. Common belief around here is something like this (see below)....BTW - I arbitrarily grabbed some numbers just to give you an idea. The Warm Up - IMO - should be done fairly quickly w/ not much rest between warm up sets. After that - any 1 rep attempt counts towards the three chances that you get for that exercise and I would rest between the 1x attempts as needed but not too long that you cool down. Basically - warm up the squat and then max out the squat ... warm up the press and max out the press ... etc ...

Squat (1RM around 225)
45# x 5 x 2
95# x 5 x 1
135# x 3 x 1
185# x 2 x 1
1 - 1 - 1 (These count)

Press - STANDING - (1RM around 125)
45# x 5 x 2
65# x 5 x 1
95# x 3 x 1
1 - 1 - 1

Deads (1RM around 275)
135# x 5 x 2
185# x 5 x 1
225# x 3
1 - 1 - 1

If you don't know your max - I would go until either you failed or you had 3 successful 1x attempts. Also - if you don't know your max - this should really be an exploratory WOD for you and your focus should be on good form on all lifts ...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:

The CF total is basically a way to see how you rank verse other CF'ers and track your progress. I notice it is included as a WOD once per month. If you go to FAQ's there is a chart so you can see where you rank against a set standard.

For example I weight 190lbs. So this places me at the <198lb category. When I sum my 1rep max for Squat, DL and press I am +760. So that makes me an intermediate crossfitter. And that is where I plan to spend the rest of my life because unless I start cycling steroids I am not going to be able to increase the sum of those three lifts by 300+ lbs to make it to the Advanced category.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:

There is also a dedicated CFJ article just to this crossfit total written by Mark Rippatoe. For purposes of ranking yourself a seated shoulder press would not be appropriate. The guidelines are clear in the article that it is a standing press. But for purposes of tracking your own personal progress you can sub whatever exercise you want, even bench for that matter.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post

For example I weight 190lbs. So this places me at the <198lb category. When I sum my 1rep max for Squat, DL and press I am +760. So that makes me an intermediate crossfitter. And that is where I plan to spend the rest of my life because unless I start cycling steroids I am not going to be able to increase the sum of those three lifts by 300+ lbs to make it to the Advanced category.
That's kind of a glum outlook, don't you think? It's not really that hard for a natural 190 pound athlete to achieve the "advanced" standards: 387/173/457 (T=1017). Now, the "elite" level is out of reach for most, in this case 504/234/567 (T=1305). I don't think it's really that tough to achieve "advanced" with about 3-4 years of lifting experience - and it certainly doesn't require roids.

In the 242 category, I'm within spitting distance of an "advanced" CFT (1102), if not already there, and I have about 2 years of lifting under my belt - and a surgery that set me back quite a bit. Now, a 1411/Elite CFT...prolly ain't gonna happen. But I'd like to hit 1200 in the next year...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
That's kind of a glum outlook, don't you think? It's not really that hard for a natural 190 pound athlete to achieve the "advanced" standards: 387/173/457 (T=1017). Now, the "elite" level is out of reach for most, in this case 504/234/567 (T=1305). I don't think it's really that tough to achieve "advanced" with about 3-4 years of lifting experience - and it certainly doesn't require roids.
I have been lifting as long as I can remember. I am 29 years old now. When I was in my prime around age of 22-23 my CFT would have been approx 920. At that point, yes I was within "spitting distance". I have been in pure maintenance mode for about the last 4 years, since I got married, had kids, and was finishing grad school. I think my CFT is pretty good considering for about 4 years now I generally only workout 2 to 3 days a week.

I would be happy to get to my old PR's with a CFT around 920. Oh, and just a side note, IMO your not going to make those kind of strength gains following a strict CrossFit workout. Cross fit revolves around metabolic conditioning. If you are serious about increasing your CFT you will have to stop crossfit at some point and focus on a serious strength program like Rippatoe recommends in one of his books.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

I am in the same weight range and have never done any serious weight training until 6 months ago. My goal is 850 by April '09.

300 BS
150 SP
400 DL

Why then couldn't I achieve more after another year or two?

Last time (July - if memory serves (and since have set 1rm pr's in each)-

Last edited by Andy Gann : 10-27-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Brian - I disagree with you and agree with Jacob...

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf (WFS)

I hadn't even seen these "standards" (at my affiliate or anywhere else) when I began doing CF... the CFT would come and go, and my numbers would just keep increasing... no roids. I don't want them and don't need them.

Also - CrossFit is not just MetCon. Stick around... strength and power days are plentiful.

I sat at a desk for 3 years in law school, then spent another 9 more years as an attorney - eating, drinking and getting fat... then I found CrossFit last year in April. I'm 9 years older and 30# lighter than you, and I continue to see myself get stronger and fitter - and I only do the WODs and occasional skill work after WODs 4-5 times per week. If you work on the lifts, you WILL get there - barring injury or some other physical limitation. I saw my CFT go up from the low 700s to the mid 900s in less than a year - and I am a little guy at 160#! If you look at me, you would be able to tell on sight that I am not on juice.

Why do you think your prime was when you were 22-23? I think I might just be hitting my prime now... maybe I'm nowhere near it yet.

Best of luck!

Sean
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I am in the same weight range and have never done any serious weight training until 6 months ago. My goal is 850 by April '09.

300 BS
150 SP
400 DL

Why then couldn't I achieve more after another year or two?

Last time (July - if memory serves (and since have set 1rm pr's in each)-

I actually think I am closer to somewhere between the 800 to 900 range right now. I don't like to waste workouts with 1rm but I have recently done:
BS 315x4
SP 135x4
DL 315X4, although this is usually more than BS if I really push myself.

This is without creatine. I add some creatine supplementation I can easily tack on about 20 lbs to BS and DL but I also have to be careful I stay at a BW <198
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Why do you think your prime was when you were 22-23? I think I might just be hitting my prime now... maybe I'm nowhere near it yet.
OK, if I can stay on my maintenance schedule of 2 to 3 days of workouts a week for the next 10 years, I will be 39 years old. At that point my boys should be of an age that they will want to lift weights with me. Then workout time changes from "personal time" to "family time". At that point I can probably get away with 5 to 6 days a week of working out. Also, hopefully I will be partner or senior manager at my firm by then and will have money to spend on good eats and proper coaching.

In the mean time, it is not that I can't make big strength gains, it's that I am not going to dedicate the time and effort to that. My actual short term goals are I want to increase my Metabolic Conditioning so I can pop off consecutive muscle ups and 100+ pull up workouts with 400 meter sprints in between.