CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Strength Training and a six minute mile

Due to my shoulder, hand and throat injuries, metcon WODs need to be shelved for a while so I can heal. I'll work on the low rep strength exercises that my injuries will allow and try to achieve that six minute mile that has eluded me. I'll throw in one or two short metcons a week composed of movements that I can do without pain.

I finally found my power rack among the million moving boxes. This move is taking forever...between my stuff, Mom's stuff (we purchased a house together), my injuries and all the travel I do I wonder if I'll ever get unpacked this year.

Back Squat: 5x5x175 Below parallel, hands wide on bar due to shoulder
BB Press: 5x5x85 Bar held with left thumb around bar, right held without thumb
WT Pullups: 5x5x25 Dead hang, no kip, chest touching bar each rep
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Matthew Upright

Profile:
Re: Strength Training and a six minute mile

Good Luck with the Recovery. I moved 5 times in a year and a half when i graduated college and joined the army. I found that if something i owned stayed in a box for a year i didnt need it that bad... youd be surprised how little you need to survive and still enjoy life, a power rack is one of those things!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Matt,

I agree! My power rack is probably one of my most treasured investments. 20 years old and it's saved me (and the cats) at least a dozen times from a really bad situation.

Since I moved from the apartment to a house with 9' instead of 8' ceilings, I was able to add another 6" of height to the MU bars I attached across the top of the frame. I've been chomping at the bit to do MUs on the new setup, but my hand injury is stopping me from doing so. Hopefully it will heal enough that I can play soon.

I need to work on my POSE running technique for 5-6 weeks before I'm strong enough and my technique good enough to start focusing on the mile time. I pretty much stopped running during the winter and I've got some work to do. I figure I'll run about every other day focusing on technique for the next several weeks.

2 rounds:

4x60 second repeats, .65 tempo
1x4 min, .67 tempo

The pace felt too slow and easy, although my calves told me I hadn't been running much lately. Focus was on not overreaching my stride, not breaking at the hips and to bring my left heel up (looking at video, it doesn't pull up more than a couple inches from the ground; my right heel nearly touches my butt). I found that if I worked on leaning forward through my hips and not my torso I stopped overreaching and my stride felt more free.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Hi Kelly.
It is so tough to slow down and let the injuries heal. Good luck with that! Especially right after moving!

I'm wondering what you mean by .65 tempo? I took the POSE cert and they suggested starting at 90 BPM which seems really fast to me (being a non-runner).
Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Helen,

It's the tempo I plug into the tempo trainer gizmo. I believe that .67 is about where Coach MacKenzie had me set the trainer to start this cycle the last time. Of course, it would help if I could find the cadence conversion chart that is hiding in this mass of boxes in the living room. The smaller the number, the faster the cadence. .69 is too slow....I can't make myself run that slow unless I overreach my stride.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Brittany Warren

Profile:

6 minute mile??

Yes, I am subscribing. Beastly workouts! And a squat cage -- man I'm jealous!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:

These 11pm workouts are killing me....I'm much more a morning person but I've been so busy with work, the continuing aftermath from the move, caring for Mom and dealing with the lawn (that's one thing I really liked about apartment living - no lawn care!) I'm just plain running out of me.

5x5x125 Bench Press - light touch and go thumbless reps (my hand can do that) - easy, no shoulder pain with the slow and strict reps
1x5x245 Deadlift - dead stop reps, straightened legs and completely reset between each rep - easy
3x10R/10Lx35 18" step ups with 35# sandbag over one shoulder (focus on not pushing off with the trailing leg) - too easy

I wanted to work on squat cleans, but I simply can't handle the pain in my hand when I rack the weight. I choose step ups as I remember working on the farm and doing the same motion over and over again with hay bales and feed bags when loading a wagon. The bales and bags were 50# or more and the leg and trunk workout was intense.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Home after helping judge at the Hell's Half Acre Regionals held at GSX in Fort Worth TX this weekend. Many thanks to Jeff Tucker and his GSX staff, the volunteers, the athletes and the spectators for the tremendous heart and dedication shown by all. Even when a hellish Texas storm tried to rain out the event, everyone showed true spirit and kept on. My deepest appreciation for the CrossFit community represented by all this weekend.

I was able to get in two "hand rehab" workouts, one before and one after the games:

7 rounds, no time:
1 15' hands only rope climbs with "cirques" on the way down/5 very controlled, dead stop ring dips.

Climbs started sitting, ended sitting. One hand only descents without any leg help; tried to take at least 3 seconds to lower per hand. Last couple rounds I wasn't strong enough to lower that slow. Ring dips were very slow to keep the ring off the scarred area. I found that the rope climbs hurts the hand, but not in the way that cleaning a bar does. Cleaning a bar about drops me, but I can do a 15' climb and descent and be able to recover enough in a minute or two to handle another.

10 rounds, no time:

1 15' hands only rope climbs with "cirques" on the way down
10 burpees with pushup and overhead jump with clap (had to have several inches of air to count; no "sliver of light" jumps)

The burpees after the climb were interesting; the scar tissue was stretched a bit different with the two movements. Painful, but I did have more mobility after I finished. If nothing else, I'm going to have strong hands if I keep doing climbs with cirques! Now that I have inside and outside places to hand a 10' rope, I will be doing them frequently.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Today:

Finally home after missing my connecting flight in Milwaukee. A bit foot sore so I cut the running a little short.

POSE running:

4x90 seconds at .66 pace
1x6 minutes at .66 pace

Easy pace and time.

5x5 125# ATA front squats - easy
4x4/1x3 Full ROM HSPUs - found a solid 12" strip of wall to do HSPUs against....have to have a little control or I will fall off to a side.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:

A front page WOD that I can do. Made this goal and strength biased rather than compromise quality reps for time:

Ten rounds for time of:
3 Weighted Pull-ups, 45 pounds
5 Strict Pull-ups
7 Kipping Pull-up

Post time and number of rounds.

My goal was all 10 rounds inside 45 minutes without coming off the bar during a round. Did the WOD in 40:26 with 10 rounds (never came off the bar during a round).

Pleased I finally had the time to do this WOD as RX'd (I knew this would be a long one as my was goal is to not let go of the bar on any set). My shoulder and hand issues do allow me to do this workout, although doing all those hands only rope climbs combined with cirques on the descents from this weekend at GSX already had my grip/biceps/triceps fatigued and a bit sore.

20# dumbbell between knees for pullups. Weighted and strict pullups had zero kip and at least a one second pause at the hang for each rep (no "bouncing" off the bottom of the rep).

Chest to bar on all sets as long as possible...lost it in the middle of strict pullups in round 4. Settled for throat to bar height for everything on all the remaining rounds. Did all the weighted pullups after round 4 with a palms facing grip; palms away for all the strict and kipping pullups.

Rounds 2, 3 and 4 had 2 minute rest breaks between sets.
Rounds 4, 5, 6, 7 had 4 minute rest breaks between sets.
Rounds 8, 9 and 10 had 5 minute rest breaks between sets.

40:26....Did not come off the bar on any of the rounds. Hung around as needed without moving or just shuffling my hand spacing to help revive my grip, but I never came off the bar. Triceps now very sore.