CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:
100km adventure race

Hey all.

Myself and 3 other co-workers are doing the wild endurance 100km adventure race/trek (details at www.wildendurance.org)

Anyway i tried doing some searches but couldnt really find anything.

This is purely a foot adventure race, there is no biking or kayaking but was still woundering if anyone out there has done anything like that and can recommend a few things in terms of

Training: (my current training consists of following crossfit almost to the letter but sometimes subbing some workouts for more cardio style workouts. Also about 2 - 3 LSD runs of about 60 and building to 90 min. In a few 2 weeks we are doing a 20km bush run with gear to see how we go but thats about it for training so far.

Gear: we are currently sorting that out, things like a camel pack, head torch ect is all sorted but im keen for any advice there.

footwear: this im kind of stuck on, i dont really want to wear pure joggers or boots, need a good medium, i have seen those treking style boots but i dont know how they will go with some running. Any advice?

Nutrition: Its good at the moment, just wounding about in race nutrition, what everyone recommends cause we will need it!

Thanks all for your help and advice!

Cheers
Jake
Old 03-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
Chad Skola

Profile:
Re: 100km adventure race

use trail style runners. support for running and tread for loose ground. just a thought. This sound really intense and I would not know where to begin. MREs have high macro nutrients. of course 3 of those takes up quite a bit of space and I didn't read the details to see how long brakes are and what not.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Rayne Gray

Profile:

Hey Jakub,

100k is a long way to go, you are going to need to put a little time on your feet, so in addition to crossfit start building a weekly long run. slowly work it up to at least 3 hours the rest of the week crossfit & maybe another short run (preferably interval or tempo based).

I would suggest trail running shoes for ex. http://www.zombierunner.com/store/ca...nsoles/inov-8/
NFI & wfs
they provide some protection from the trail, but fwiw I have raced trail 50 milers in road shoes with out any trouble.

As for other gear, take the least amount you can get away with. A nice pack such as: http://www.ultimatedirection.com/pro...=35&page=packs
NFI & wfs
These are nice but not always needed, consider the distance between aid stations (are there aid stations at all?) figue how much water, food and equipment you must have as a minimum and how much you'll need to be comfortable.

As for food, what ever you do make sure it is something you have tried during your long runs. Once upon a time I did a 48 mile race and I ate 16 fudge brownie balance bars (they were my favorite) I did fine but now I can not even smell a fudge brownie balance bar with out getting sick to my stomach.

Just my thoughts
Rayne
Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Hello Jakub,

I take part is something called Tough Guy here in England twice a year and it covers every terrain you could imagine. The best footwear i have found is from a make called Inov 8. There light as they can be with the perfect tread and protection around toe areas. Look on this website www.toughguy.co.uk (sorry im not good with links etc) and on there they show you all the different kinds you can purchase.

Good luck with your race it sounds fantastic. If i lived nearer i would luv to give it a go!
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

Thanks for the replies so far!

I will pass on this info to the rest of the team and we will go and try and find those brands in the shops so we can all try before we buy.

In regards to aid station we have a support crew which meet us at certain check points during the race. So when we are a little closer we will work out how much of everything we need exactly from food, water and clothing.

Scott, that looks so awesome! This adventure race is all pumping us so much and I think we will defiantly enter another one! They are a great challenge!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

trail running shoes for sure. Pack as light as you can it makes the difference.
Gels: Gu or hammer gel. Hammer nutrition has a great product called perpetuem( carb/protein mix with water keeps you going for hours) .They also have great nutrition for endurance advice on their website( of course it is oriented towards their products..but the information is top notch)
After you've done your 20km test run, estimate how long it'll take and add some time, then estimate about 250-300 cals/hr.
Eat every hour before you are hungry or you will bonk and suffer.
Only eat foods you have tested while doing endurance before.
Less gear and weight is more fun, don't bring endless crap advertised by outdoor stores, you don't need it.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Jeremy Mathers

Profile:

The advice in this thread is great, CrossFit will get you to the finish line, but if you want to do it comfortably, make sure you get in lots of long runs/hikes that are close to the terrain and conditions you'll be covering (ie. through the woods, across streams/rivers, at night, etc.). Also don't skip out on training because of bad weather, you won't be able to skip out come race day.

There's a number of posts around about endurance sports, here's one on adventure racing specifically http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22984
Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:

Nice One Jakub
Consider
New change of (everything) clothes and footwear every check point
Consider in "Skins" or "Body science" compressions underwear

Consider if you are walking sections to have different footwear for the more "pain in butt sections" so boots for the rough quarter,light weight jogger for flat fire trails.

Get your food squared away and actually eat it.
Big Brews at Check points

Take sports tape baby powder and vaseline with u

In training work in some barefoot/five finger work for ankle stability as prevention of injury is an issue as you get fatigued in endurance events.

Use the next coming months to work your technique in running consider getting some pose or similar instruction.

Mate I really wanted to enter the TNF 100km (the next week from the Wild endur) but am working too much.

Good Luck with it all
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Catra Corbett

Profile:

I do a lot of Ultramarathons. I would suggest trail running shoes for sure if you are going to be hiking or running on mountain terrain. They just have way better traction than road shoes.
Gregory makes great adventure racing packs. I use there advent pro when I do my multi day fast packs through the Sierra's in the Summer months.

You should really do some back to back training 30 miler & 20 miler. That would get you ready for running on tired legs.

Make sure you experiment with food when you're training so you know what works.
Being a crossfitter you will be strong and should be mentally tough too.
Good Luck and remember to have fun and stay positive.
Catra

http://trailgirl.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

Hey guys,

just wanted to say thanks again for the advice and links,

Andrew its been so long since I came up to Queens park for that crossfit session. I still remember my first every crossfit session, when I bought my friend up to. Great times!

The TNF race looks awesome but we picked this one simply cause its big on charity and were looking to raise about 5grand plus it gives our clients to support us and feel part of it.

Unfortunately iv been sick this past week so I lost a week of training but better now then a week out! Apart from that I think we are all lacking a bit of leg time but our mental toughness seems excellent in terms of really willing to give it 110% and Catra your totally right, crossfit does give you an edge in that regard, its great!

Anyway, 5 weeks and counting! Doing a 20-30km trail run through the bush this weekend with full kit and see how we pull up!

Cheers
Jake