CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I am curious to know if any of you have experience with a flat footed person who has converted to Chuck Taylor sneakers in order to help her development (foot, arches, lower leg, etc). We will also continue strenght and endurance training of these regions as well as running style (Pose, etc).
Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 09-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I don't know about flat feet, but running (sprinting) in chucks screwed up my shins. I have better luck with lighter shoes with more flexible soles (for instance, feiyue wushu shoes off amazon.com). Again, I don't know anything about how to select shoes for people with unusual foot shapes.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Adrian "Hank" Garfield
Member Adrian

Profile:
i would do a search on running shoes. i am not an expert, but from what i understand, for flat feet you need motion control shoes or stability oriented ones.

having flat feet myself, i am looking into this further. i lift in bare feet, or in chucks or wrestling shoes if in public.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Daniel Doiron

Profile:

Has anyone used indoor soccer shoes instead of Chuck Taylors or other types?

I believe they may allow for a better running tech, seeing that they don't have much padding, hug the foot, etc.

I am thinking of getting a pair and seeing what comes out of it.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Daniel-

We have several people who use the Samba with good results, I think that is a great option.
Robb
Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I have the samba millenium, they've got a little bit more support than the regular sambas, but in a good way, even if the heel is just barely thicker than the originals.

I too have flat feet and as a matter of fact I just got back from the doctor about them (and other things), she said that when running or lifting, it'd be better to have an arch support underneath your foot or if you're good enough, lift barefoot and consciously lift the arch of your foot off of the ground, but that will give your foot a hell of a workout too, maybe moreso than the rest of your body.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:12 AM   #7
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
Josh, if you Dr gave you the option of lifting barefoot without you asking for it, stick with her!
All that to say that some (most) people with orthodics and arch supports could do without if they took the time to 'strenghten' their arches and get the feet 'fit' and strong! I have done so with myself...and it works!
If you have the oppertunity to find someone in the conditioning field with some knowledge about this go over some things with them.
If you can't find anybody, feel free to contact me by email.

Thanks for the different sneaker/shoes option guys. I am looking up every suggestion! I am also going to be buying something soon!!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
I don't have flat feet, but I have been wearing Sambas almost exclusively for two years now - but mainly for normal street wear. I generally use a Brooks Turbo or something like that for running and for general workouts, but switch to the Sambas when I forget my runners. The plain ol' Samba is some kind of miracle shoe - there's nothing to them, yet they manage to keep the foot adequately supported and comfortable in just about any situation. You can't wear them out, either. It's easily the most durable shoe I've ever had. They're so light and flexible, you feel like you're not wearing a shoe. I've had other shoes from Nike, Reebok, etc. and they all caused me a certain level of discomfort when I used them in workout until I broke them in. The Samba felt right the first time I put it on.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Actually I ASKED the dr if I can lift barefoot. She said sure, said it would be a great workout for my ankles and arch. But she didn't just say, "lift barfoot if you want"
Old 09-14-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Jason Erickson

Profile:
For flat feet, I often recommend Coach Sonnon's 4-Corner Balance Drill. Safer than trying to arch the feet while lifting, and more direct transference to performance. It's also great for developing the stability to do Pistols and other advanced exercises that require excellent balance.

For your reading enjoyment, here's an article on it:

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/19/sonnon3.html