CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Rod Gates

Profile:
Television...Heave Ho, or Heck No!???

Hi All,

Over in Nutrition a side topic came up concerning several people who live without any (or much) tv. While I am one who has often thought about getting rid of cable, I also have so far talked myself out of it for fear of missing those few good documentaries and other rare educational programs. I realize most of what I watch is crap, and a waste of my time, so I put it to all of you. Share your experiences. Have you given up on tv or cable? If so what are the benefits? What do you miss most? I suspect there are countless ways to compensate for my potential sense of loss, so I am looking to all of you for that extra nudge to inspire me! Let's hear it!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Re: Television...Heave Ho, or Heck No!???

Our entertainment package:

Basic Cable + Internet
Blockbuster 2 ata time full access dvd rental

Anything worth watching on cable can be rented in DVD format with no commericals.

To drop basic cable would up my cable internet by $10, plus its cool to have reception if we want to watch network, sci-fi or style (heh) oh yea MTV2.

We are not at this state for "health reasons" just trying to max entertainment/$, plus not a lot of time to devote to TV.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

With Tivo/DVR and some scanning, you can find some really interesting things to watch if you like learning about a variety of topics. Of course, you can also find lots of pure crap. As I get older, I watch less and less garbage...and I just can't stand most network stuff (notable exception for 24).

And Netflix is the greatest thing since sliced bread (well, paleo people can pick something else). We have watched so many good, quality movies/documentaries/shows that we would otherwise have not seen (as I HATE going to video stores). The queue structure is awesome.

I swear, amazon, netflix, and tivo have made my life measurably happier these last ten years. Of course, my girls and crossfit have too...

howard
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Get rid of the cable. Just dump it. I haven't watched it since I was a little kid and the most I've "lost" is Pokemon. Big huge loss.

As you've already said, most of it is crap, and even more dangerous to kids since you don't know what kind of thing they're going to be saying even on the "kids" channels.

The best thing you might be able to do is to drag your TV out into the garage and drop a kettlebell on it. If not that, then get netflix and mind what you rent. Not all television is bad. Just most of it. (I watch netflix movies, yes, but I'm always in favor of dropping kettlebells on things).
Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Jay Roughton

Profile:

My T.V. is great, I get all kinds of great history stories, I'm a former Marine, so the History channel offers alot of great programming for me, not to mention the military channel.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Years ago when I was poor, single and living alone I experimented with giving up TV for 3 months. I was also taking a night class if I remember correctly. I ended up studying more, talking to friends more, and I also learned to juggle. I tried to learn how to play the harmonica without success instead I started taking up the trumpet again because it was easier and more satisfying since I had played as a kid. However, having grown up on Star Trek when the Star Trek the Next Generation started up I had to start watching TV again.

Later, still poor and sharing an apartment with roomates we refused to pay for cable. Instead we just rented movies and watched network TV. Still, I missed cable when major news events occurred. I found myself jonesing for some CNN.

I'll never give up TV again though. I admit I watch plenty of crap. I never have been a fan of documentaries. I want to be entertained. If I want to learn something I'll read a book or surf the internet.

If you feel you need to make some changes in your life, giving up TV is not a bad way to go. As I've gotten older I think I've found balance in my life and when I need to meet goals I have no problem setting TV aside (or the internet for that matter) to meet them.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

/shrug. When I moved over here to the UK, I decided not to get a TV. Didn't miss it a bit for several months. However, when my wife joined me, she really wanted one (she can do work with it on in the background; no idea how); I suppose it does make watching movies easier (although I liked watching them on the computer just fine), but really I don't have much use for broadcast TV. For me, the TV is just a big monitor for watching DVDs and possibly playing games.

(I will watch shows if I happen to be bored, in the room, and have something on that I'd like to see, but I don't make a point of "Oh, Tuesday nights is show X, I will be sure to see it.")

Basically, unless you have a really good reason, I'd recommend not having one.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

No cable for us - don't miss it at all.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:

I physically own a TV so my kids--that I have part time--can watch movies we rent, but the rest of the time, I forget I even have it. The thing about cable is that almost anything you would actually, genuinely want to watch can be rented for free without commercials at your local library. I've watched programs on WW1, Churchill, lectures by Daniel Robinson, and a couple movies, like "The man who shot Liberty Valence", which is one everyone should see.

It's not a principle thing, so much as a reaction to the inordinate frustration and brain freeze I think we've all experienced channel surfing when there isn't anything on that we really want to watch, but we're not quite ready to give up the TV for the night. So you wind up watching Tomb Raider again, or the cleaned up for TV version of Eraser or something. I get the same feeling I get when I sleep 2 hours too long. I don't like it.

Last edited by Barry Cooper : 03-12-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

Well said Barry. Basically the same for my family. We have a tv so the kids can watch some movies (we got them a series of kids shows that teach them how to sign, etc.) If there's a show we REALLY want to see, we'll Netflix the season, or watch a full episode on the website. Whether you have a tv or not, my suggestion is to be intentional about anything you watch. Just sitting and watching "whatever's on" is probably not the best thing for you. Conversely, if there is something you want to watch and are interested in, either for entertainment or instruction, then watch it.