CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Colin Ching

Profile:
In preparation for RIP (Ranger Indoc Program)

I'm 24 years old living in the Seattle area. I haven't signed the dotted line to join the Army yet but I plan to "quick ship" in July if all goes according to plan. For those that know... I'm seeking an option 40; 11x contranct. I've been CFing for about 7 weeks and have seen some fair gains.

I CF at a local gym that recently opened in my area and I'm loving/hating every second. Right now I'm doing 5 days on and 2 days off. I hope to start 2-a-days in a few weeks if not next week at least a twice a week to start.

If there are any millitary personel or Ranger Battalion Veterans I would love to hear how CF compares to a smoke session as an incoming cherry to battalion fresh out of RIP.

I love to talk shop about my workouts so if any adivce/ motivation/ help is always welcome.

Thanks,

Colin
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Colin Ching

Profile:
Re: In peperation for RIP (Ranger Indoc Program)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Ching View Post
I'm 24 years old living in the Seattle area. I haven't signed the dotted line to join the Army yet but I plan to "quick ship" in July if all goes according to plan. For those that know... I'm seeking an option 40; 11x contranct. I've been CFing for about 7 weeks and have seen some fair gains.

I CF at a local gym that recently opened in my area and I'm loving/hating every second. Right now I'm doing 5 days on and 2 days off. I hope to start 2-a-days in a few weeks if not next week at least a twice a week to start.

If there are any millitary personel or Ranger Battalion Veterans I would love to hear how CF compares to a smoke session as an incoming cherry to battalion fresh out of RIP.

I love to talk shop about my workouts so if any adivce/ motivation/ help is always welcome.

Thanks,

Colin
Oh yes... and the AFPT (Army Physical Test) is as follows.
2 mins max SU (Max Score 78)
2 mins max PU (Max Score 71)
2 mile run
Max Pull Ups (min 6)

I've been tabata'ing the SU and PU and I've seen some good progress in those areas. I'd like to start cranking out static Pull Ups since I seem to be hanging around 15 max. I've heard that using a DB between the feet can progressively help a lot. Any advice on hitting maxing the above PT test???

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
Brett Sammis

Profile:

When did they add pullups?

bts
Old 01-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Colin Ching

Profile:

Brett,

Not really sure. I know its been around of at least a few years. I've heard horror stories about Rippies having to do the AFPT events back to back. Not including the sprinting from station to station. 6 pull ups probalby will probably feel like 50.

Colin
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Bob Sorensen

Profile:

Good luck and best wishes Colin... I know there are many SOF ppl on here. If ya have time, do a Crossfit search (main page search option) for MurphIZ, a friend on mine who's BTDT with the Battalion, Airborne and SF. His observations should prove interesting to you.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Colin Ching

Profile:

Bob,

Thanks for the welcome. I've done multiple searches for your friend and Ranger, but unfortunately I haven't found him yet. I'll continue to search for him. If you have change PM me his name if you feel comfortable with that. Thanks again.

Colin
Old 01-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Colin,

If you haven't already, check out the WOD at http://www.navyseals.com/ (WFS). The WODs will be structured more towards military personnel. Also, check out http://www.rosstraining.com (WFS) to get some good body weight circuits that you could use for your 2-a-days.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Keith Serpa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sammis View Post
When did they add pullups?

bts
While we were in the Marines, a buddy of mine ended up going to Ranger school. He said they used pull ups like we did, unlike the regular Army units I've seen.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Colin Ching

Profile:

Chris,

Thanks for the links. I haven't been to Rosstraining.com so I'll check that out. I've found so really good pyramid BW stuff at ArmyRanger.com and I've heard that they really work well. Haven't really set my plan yet on my 2-a-days but I'm working on it. Once I figure it out I'll post for critique.

Keith,

Now that I think about it I think that the AFPT test is Chin-ups. Either way I need to be crushing both. Intel I have says static Pull-ups and Chin-ups are basically your meal ticket. How does CF compare to the type of smoke a boot gets in the crucible? Anyways RESPECT for serving our country! You and all veterans have my deepest admiration!

Thanks,

Colin
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Josh Sacks

Profile:

Colin,

Which CF gym are you working out at? I know there are a few in the Seattle area.

Josh